Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2010, 06:24 AM

26 posts, read 179,949 times

Advertisements

Hey Forum,

I'm interested in purchasing a home in a great neighborhood. However the owners have really let it go and there is a lot of moisture and termite damage. I had a Termite and Moisture come and do an inspection and as I suspected they found Structural Damage to the flooring and beams that support the floor, when they inspected the crawl space. I would like to get this house but the only way for me to get it would be to finance the house. I was told that would be difficult if there is structural damage.
Can it be done ...AND this house is being sold as is.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 08:47 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,908,228 times
The only way it can be done is with a full 203k rehab loan. It's a trying process and finding a 203k lender (a non-streamline lender) could be exhausting. The second alternative would be a construction-perm loan, but you would have to have a class A contractor heading up the project and negotiate the repair contract up front.

There are no other typical mortgage loans that will permit you to close with structural damage. Unfortunately, the solution loans are hard to find and most likely expensive and come with strict criteria.

Old 04-03-2010, 06:34 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,543,020 times
Or you can make your purchase contingent on the sellers fixing the damage before the deal closes.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:10 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,920,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahoo72 View Post
Hey Forum,

I'm interested in purchasing a home in a great neighborhood. However the owners have really let it go and there is a lot of moisture and termite damage. I had a Termite and Moisture come and do an inspection and as I suspected they found Structural Damage to the flooring and beams that support the floor, when they inspected the crawl space. I would like to get this house but the only way for me to get it would be to finance the house. I was told that would be difficult if there is structural damage.
Can it be done ...AND this house is being sold as is.

Thanks!
MOLD is a four letter work that will scare off a lender worse than termite damage. Are you really wanting to re-hab the house or is it a tear-down for the lot? A lender might be more inclined to lend for a tear down and new construction than a home with termite and moisture damage to the extend it has become a structural issue.

Old 04-04-2010, 12:50 AM

Location: Fairfax, Leesburg, Ashburn, Sterling, Reston, Herndon, VA
25 posts, read 120,498 times
FHA has a 203K loan that is designed to provide for rehabilitation and reconstruction but you have to find a lender that understands and is capable of dealing with the program. HUD will send out a consultant that will assess the property and provide the bid spec. They will give it to you to get estimates from contractors. Once you get the bids you then get a secondary appraisal to determine the property value after repairs. Then it is decision time, either the secondary appraisal will cover the repairs or you will need to make up the difference. Usually a lender that understands the process will in most cases not have a problem with the secondary appraisal, but it will depend upon the scope of the work and the asking price of the home. If it is a foreclosure the bank/owner is usually very helpful.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:22 PM

1 posts, read 10,724 times
I have a VA home in need of foundiation repair. I am the owner and the house is already in my posession. The two year statue of limition has already expired.There is also damage to the inside sheet rock on some of the rooms. Can someone tell me of a lender who can help on this issue. The home is secured through the VA. Has anyone had this foundiation problem. What did you do to solve this problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages