Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2010, 09:24 AM

5 posts, read 23,582 times

Advertisements

We are buying a house that is part of a bankruptcy. The court has approved the sale, but Bank of America (that holds the lien on the bankrupt property) must give a payoff quote for the sale to go through. For the past 20 days, they have kept telling our settlement company that the quote should come in soon, but every time they keep moving the deadline. The last time they said that we are in line to receive a fax with the payoff quote, but no fax has been sent.

How common is this? Can one sue them or threaten them in any way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 09:26 AM

163 posts, read 453,016 times
I can get a payoff quote from Wells Fargo for my mortgage just by clicking a link from my online account. Sounds like stalling to me.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:32 AM

They say that because the loan is delinquent it takes extra time. Whatever that means. Adding a bunch of fees should not be that difficult.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:26 PM

995 posts, read 3,932,908 times
Good luck with dealing with BofA.

Seach for BofA delays.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:23 AM

How about writing to the Office of the comptroller of the currency? Has anybody had any luck with that?

Old 04-13-2010, 10:54 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,218,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1 View Post
We are buying a house that is part of a bankruptcy. The court has approved the sale, but Bank of America (that holds the lien on the bankrupt property) must give a payoff quote for the sale to go through. For the past 20 days, they have kept telling our settlement company that the quote should come in soon, but every time they keep moving the deadline. The last time they said that we are in line to receive a fax with the payoff quote, but no fax has been sent.

How common is this? Can one sue them or threaten them in any way?
--" a house that is part of a bankruptcy "

bankruptcy ?

" Bank of America ( that holds the lien on the property) "

lien ? Is it a lien or a mortgage ?

Old 04-14-2010, 01:09 AM

55 posts, read 70,189 times
A friend of mine went through something very similar actually. He called the court clerk and was able to get the judge to issue a letter to BofA requesting their cooperation in the matter, which rendered the payoff quote within 48 hours. I suspect had the bank ignored the judge, he may have even issued an order to speed them along. Anything to help move the case from his docket... ya know?

Old 04-14-2010, 08:09 AM

Well, that's what happened in the end. After threatening them to go to court again, they immediately faxed back the payoff quote. I think they just try to delay the quote as long as they can to earn some extra days of interest, seems nothing but if you do so on a large scale it adds to the bottom line.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
--" a house that is part of a bankruptcy "

bankruptcy ?

" Bank of America ( that holds the lien on the property) "

lien ? Is it a lien or a mortgage ?

Yes, the house was part of a bankruptcy estate, and is sold by a trustee who is managing the estate.

Yes, Bank of America made a mortgage loan to the persons who filed for bankruptcy, and they have a lien on the property that needs to be paid off at closing.

When an asset is part of a bankruptcy, my understanding is that it can be sold either free and clear of all liens, and then creditors divide the proceeds between them (with those who have secured claims going first), or it can be sold regularly, and then the proceeds of the sale must pay off any secured creditors at closing, but the creditors (in this case BoA) must still let you know how much they are owed. If they don't, they can delay the closing. BoA has been doing this for a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages