Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2010, 11:04 AM

142 posts, read 365,557 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Some advice needed. After the inspection, we requested that a problem with a bowing basement wall be fixed per a professional's quote of $3,000. The seller agreed to give us a "seller credit" of 3K. What does this mean?

The basics:

$128,500 purchase price
$3,000 in seller assist (already agreed upon in contract)
$1,000 in hand money already in escrow (this, I understand, will go towards closing)

This leaves me with about 4K in closing costs that I am responsible for. I would like to put most of my funds to a hefty down payment. My realtor (being new to real estate) is under the thinking that the seller cannot pay for pre-paid items under the new HUD guidelines. She is getting me a concrete answer tonight, but I figured some wisdom from others would be helpful.

Is this true? The remaining 4K is basically my pre-paids, so can he pay the 3K credit towards these costs?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 06:14 PM

165 posts, read 596,164 times
it means they're tacking on $3k to closing costs for you to get that fixed

Old 04-23-2010, 08:53 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,919,247 times
Okay, if I understand this right, you already have one 3K credit from the seller. You don't say what your loan program is or your down payment, but I'm going to assume it's FHA. On an FHA loan, right now (change expected soon) the seller can pay 6% of your closing costs, including prepaids. So,if the seller increases what they are paying towards closing costs, you should be fine. If it's named for repair money, the sales price will be reduced instead.

Where I am concerned is this: it's highly likely the appraiser will note the bowed wall (and even if not, it's in the contract and the lender is required to send the full contract to the appraiser. (Do not try to hide this, you'll only lose). If the wall is noted by they appraiser, it's also highly likely a structural report will be required. This is for your protection, as well as the lender's. If it is determined the wall is, indeed, a structural problem, they will require repair.

Old 04-25-2010, 02:24 PM

142 posts, read 365,557 times
Why would I try to fight it? I want it fixed... and if the seller pays for it, even better.

I don't understand why I would be concerned or try to fight anything...

Old 04-26-2010, 04:59 AM

People are doing desparate things due to the new restrictive guidelines. They tend not to like the rules, once they hear them. Again, you don't say what kind of loan this is, I am assuming it's FHA. If all of this is in the contract (credit for bowing basement wall), the lender and appraiser should most definitely require the repair to be done prior to closing.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:50 AM

124 posts, read 528,487 times
When you say "the seller can pay 6% of your closing costs," does that mean 6% of the estimated $4,000 in closing costs ($240) or 6% of the sale price ($7,710)?

Old 04-26-2010, 11:49 AM

46 posts, read 232,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsgal View Post
When you say "the seller can pay 6% of your closing costs," does that mean 6% of the estimated $4,000 in closing costs ($240) or 6% of the sale price ($7,710)?
Sale price

Old 04-26-2010, 12:27 PM

124 posts, read 528,487 times
On the home we recently sold, the buyer did not have an inspection until a week before closing (not sure why). Following the inspection, she requested two repairs by us--a smaller electrical issue and floor tile replacement in one of the bathrooms. We had the electrical fixed within a couple of days, but there was not enough time before scheduled closing to have the floor replaced, and neither of us wanted to delay closing. Instead, we got three estimates for the tile repair and the buyer agreed to have the floor fixed after closing using the mid-estimate. A check for that repair was written to the repair person from our proceeds (or lack thereof, since we had to bring cash to closing). It was listed under "title charges" on the settlement charges, so basically added to closing costs that we paid for buyer.

Sounds like that's what they're doing in your case--adding to the seller's payment of closing costs so that a check will be written directly to the repair person and the wall will be fixed after closing. This prevents the buyer from spending the money on something else.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsgal View Post
On the home we recently sold, the buyer did not have an inspection until a week before closing (not sure why). Following the inspection, she requested two repairs by us--a smaller electrical issue and floor tile replacement in one of the bathrooms. We had the electrical fixed within a couple of days, but there was not enough time before scheduled closing to have the floor replaced, and neither of us wanted to delay closing. Instead, we got three estimates for the tile repair and the buyer agreed to have the floor fixed after closing using the mid-estimate. A check for that repair was written to the repair person from our proceeds (or lack thereof, since we had to bring cash to closing). It was listed under "title charges" on the settlement charges, so basically added to closing costs that we paid for buyer.

Sounds like that's what they're doing in your case--adding to the seller's payment of closing costs so that a check will be written directly to the repair person and the wall will be fixed after closing. This prevents the buyer from spending the money on something else.

The only problem is there is no way a structural repair of this nature would ever be allowed to be repaired after closing. The repairs in the home inspection should not be confused with the appraisal. Buyers should never depend on appraisals to take care of their home repair requests. The home inspection is between the buyer and the seller and no one else. If it's in the contract, it's like there is a neon sign pointing to the repairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages