Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2010, 04:51 PM

11 posts, read 50,161 times

Advertisements

I wrote awhile back about a 1600 deposit I had put into the bank about a month ago. It wasnt to be used as the down- payment. my mother gifted that to me. It was money my gf and I were saving to maybe purchase furniture with( before the house buying process came into play).
She said, she will see if it is going to be an issue. I just find it ridiculous that this could blow the whole thing, with closing being next week! I guess I have learned my lesson the hard way. Never once was I told I couldnt do this. I had to learn from reading mortgage forums after the fact, such as this. ugh... so frustrating!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 06:15 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,798,928 times
It should not present a problem if you have a gift letter and if your downpayment is not coming from those funds. Quite frankley this should have come up quite early in your loan qualification income verification process and not the week prior to closing. It sounds as though either not everything was fully disclosed to the mortgage company in a timely manner or that the underwriter was very slow in performing due dilligence.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:44 PM

1,673 posts, read 7,002,872 times
I agree, not a deal killer but the lender may ask you to write a letter of explanation explaining where the $1600 came from.

Old 05-16-2010, 02:27 AM

11 posts, read 50,161 times
It wasnt known to them when I applied the beginning of April. Then I got my loan commitment letter w/conditions about 2 weeks ago. The conditions were, the fha appraisal, insurance, and most recent bank statement. I dont know why, after they had already seen two months worth.
If I had known all of this prior, I would have still kept the money here at home.We have never been people to always put ALL of our money in the bank. I guess I did thinks out of anxiety. I put the money in 1. well, I wasnt told I couldnt do this 2. my stepfather told me I needed to have reserves and 3. the money was going to be downpayment money, until my mom gifted me the money

I read somewhere on these forums that if you think you are going to be denied, to withdraw your application as the denial stays with you for some time. How long does the denial stay with you? I guess we will know soon enough whether this one thing ruins it, before that we were clear to close next Friday.We had even given notice to the landlord last week. uh-oh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages