Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 05:48 PM

165 posts, read 596,284 times

Advertisements

Just a rant, but because the national flood insurance program expired May 31, I can't close! Now we have to wait for Congress to meet on June 7 to see if they pass it.

Do any of you experts think this will be a problem? This is my 75th day since opening escrow and my patience is running low. If I don't close by the end of the month, I lose out on the FTHB tax credit. Should I be worried?

Flood Insurance Program Suspended Until June 7 or Later
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 07:45 AM

33 posts, read 156,880 times
Congress working quickly? I'd be worried....

Old 06-04-2010, 09:46 AM

Well, if I read the artcile correctly, this is the fourth time this year that this has happened? I'm just wondering how fast was it to extend it the last 4 times? What has the trend been?

Old 06-04-2010, 12:57 PM

68 posts, read 474,885 times
Can't you just tell them you'll buy it for the 1st year until further notice?? it's only about $350/year if you just buy the flood insurance, and give proof,then you'll have nothing to do with that program until further notice right?

Old 06-04-2010, 01:24 PM

^ That sounds like that will work. Do yo have details on how to do that? I want to bring it up to my agent.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:47 PM

Just ask her/him about this option "If I just buy the flood insurance and show you proof, can you get this loan going and don't have to wait for the program?" If she says yes, then add this option to your homeowners insurance right away and show her proof for the underwriter.

(insurance are pro-rated and can cancel anytime later anyway if there's changes to the program, you can either get your refund or forced to continue flood insurance from the mortgage lender)

Old 06-04-2010, 01:59 PM

247 posts, read 1,141,371 times
The only snag you might run into with purchasing a policy is the need for an elevation certificate. When we had BofA, they didn't required flood ins. When we re-fied with Chase a couple of years later, they did require it (our property has a flood zone running along the edge of it). It delayed our closing, b/c I had to wait for Allstate to write the policy. In order to determine my rates, I had to have a surveyor come out and issue an elevation certificate, which took a few days, and another $300. Once I could provide the elevation to Allstate, the rest of the process was simple. Only $250 for a year's coverage.

Old 06-04-2010, 03:36 PM

622 posts, read 1,783,029 times
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but to my understanding all flood insurance is guaranteed by FEMA (not private insurers). It is necessary for FEMA to have the funding guaranteed by Congress before new policies can be issued.

The only way that I know of to avoid flood insurance is to have an elevation survey performed that shows that the structure is outside of the flood plain. It is not possible to complete theis process prior to the June 30th deadline.

Old 06-04-2010, 03:42 PM

But if you buy flood insurance regardless of it (needing or not) you are playing safe, you're "covered" regardless of what happened, so you're guaranteeing yourself in case so wouldn't that rule out all other factors and policy? A policy has nothing to do with insuring and being on the safe side, it's just a policy of changing the restrictions mandatory obligations.

Old 06-04-2010, 03:47 PM

622 posts, read 1,783,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my1sthome View Post
But if you buy flood insurance regardless of it (needing or not) you are playing safe, you're "covered" regardless of what happened, so you're guaranteeing yourself in case so wouldn't that rule out all other factors and policy? A policy has nothing to do with insuring and being on the safe side, it's just a policy of changing the restrictions mandatory obligations.
As I previously stated ALL flood insurance is issued through FEMA. Other entities write the insurance but it is actually FEMA who is the insurer. Until congress allocates the funds to FEMA, NO ENTITY can write the insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages