Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 02:10 PM

3,189 posts, read 4,980,055 times

Advertisements

A healthy sound is fine if that's what you want.

Saying loud annoys you is fine.

Playing pseudo psychotherapist by casting aspersions such as the following sentences is just being an a$$: "Why would you want it loud and obnoxious unless you were starved for attention? And if your that attention hungry there in an underlying problem that could use counseling?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 08:02 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,173,926 times
KoobleKar: I'm not going to try to psychoanalyze you, but surely you must see that very loud pipes are a public nuisance which give bikers in general a bad name to the people who won't rent rooms to us on trips. In addition, if we irritate enough people, we lose our right to ride in more areas. I support the American Motorcyclist Association's legal efforts to keep us free to ride, and it is counterproductive to work against it.

Old 11-27-2010, 09:52 PM

One can merely state their opinion that loud pipes are a nuisance without the BS about why some else might actually prefer it. That's what I'm objecting to.

Old 11-28-2010, 01:31 PM

Understood. But I hope you will mull over the points I was making.

My own experience with loud pipes: I had a 2-into-1 pipe on my Yamaha 650 that I thought sounded great. That is, until I went on a 2000+ mile trip on it. I really got tired of it after several hours of listening to it drone on the highway. I've noticed that many hotrod pipes take away some of the midrange, too. The 4-into-1 on my XS-Eleven did.

Old 11-28-2010, 04:54 PM

I'm quite libertarian so I believe in the motto "live and let live. I don't pass any judgment on what someone else may prefer. That also goes for what they want to spend their own money on (ie: what type of bike they want to ride).

I have a set of D&D cans on my Triumph Trophy which absolutely howl like an old Ford Cosworth DFV F-1 engine at full song. I love the unique sound of a triple pulling hard....especially when blasting through the many tunnels in this area. On long trips, I have an MP3 player with earbuds to listen to.

I have also never been anywhere that prohibited bikers. If I happen to come across one, I'd rather spend my money elsewhere anyhow.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:26 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,954,062 times
It all depends and some just want to be bad boys and make it nasty loud because they can.

Other want more preformance from the stock bike which these days on some bikes is pretty sissified. Economy cams, overly lean mix, and a tail pipe with cramps.

There are guys like me, old throw backs to the days of kick start and spark retard, that like the lumpy sounds and the bit more power, but can tame the throttle to a low note and sneak out of populated places with out any notice what so ever. Riding a long time ago isn't like it is now.

Any fool can about buy any bike he wants now, and make it go. Once you had to know a little more than that to ride. Once riding was a sort of intimate thing, where the rider was more than one with the machine since he had to care for it, unlike cars. He had to know how most of worked and maybe rebuild the engine every 5,000 miles.

I ride and still don't buy Loud Pipes are Safer. That's BS. Most of the sound is well behind the rider, back at the end of the pipes, and no one ahead you in traffic hears that. Maybe only at nearing a red light. That is a place I have reved my engine to make a cager aware. Now making a cager aware you are there, is a bit more important than if you are a cager too.

I live in NH where I can choose to wear a lid or not. I own 3, and choose which one and when as I see fit. I can hear best with out a lid.

Not sure what you mean by not wearing one and truckers has to do with anything? Truckers and bikes are a real bad match, and i avoid truckers on a bike when ever i get the chance. The truckers have enough to do with out me hangin around.

In any of my helmets i can see parts of then when on. That kinda means my view is obstructed, and so is my hearing. A lid will only protect you from certain kinds of stops. Other wise it is a brain bucket. A lid is only effective at certain speeds and above that speed which isn't very high, again the lid serves best as a bucket for brains.

At a low speed crash and a no head first impact a lid can save a lot of skin and keep one prettier, but there is no guarantee.

There are whisper quiet bikes and I really don't like them. I have been passed riding and driving by them and it scares me every time. I like a little warning ya know?

Old 12-06-2010, 08:33 AM

18,453 posts, read 15,234,612 times
Some people just need to always be complaining about something, no matter how silly it is. If you cant deal with an occasional loud motorcycle going by, you obviously either are intolerant of others or have too much time on your hands and are the type of person who always needs to interject yourself into other people's business to feel some sort of relevance in society. I am sure there are psychologists who can help people with this type of ailment as well.

Live and let live. Nobody is trying to build a nuclear site next door to your house. It's a little noise. Big deal. Throughout the history of motorcycles, there have been loud ones out there. Motorcycles haven't changed People have. Sometimes the noise bothers me too, but SO WHAT! I would rather put up with the rare occasion of being annoyed for a few seconds than put up with the ever growing nanny state we are creating.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:39 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,821,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapaleeretired View Post
i got an email some years ago and i so wish i had kept it. In it a guy is sitting on a cruiser bike at a red light and a good looking gal crossess the street in front of him. He revs his bike. You are unable to hear him because of the pipes but you can clearly read his lips as he says "i have a small penis".
lol +1

Old 12-06-2010, 02:29 PM

298 posts, read 595,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Some people just need to always be complaining about something, no matter how silly it is. If you cant deal with an occasional loud motorcycle going by, you obviously either are intolerant of others or have too much time on your hands and are the type of person who always needs to interject yourself into other people's business to feel some sort of relevance in society. I am sure there are psychologists who can help people with this type of ailment as well.

Live and let live. Nobody is trying to build a nuclear site next door to your house. It's a little noise. Big deal. Throughout the history of motorcycles, there have been loud ones out there. Motorcycles haven't changed People have. Sometimes the noise bothers me too, but SO WHAT! I would rather put up with the rare occasion of being annoyed for a few seconds than put up with the ever growing nanny state we are creating.
Well said...

I'm still waiting from the op as to what he rides...I have a guess but I'll wait. wingding probably

Old 12-06-2010, 11:17 PM

I mind the noise when it wakes me up and makes the neighbors complain about loud bikes. At least they realize that mine is relatively quiet.

"Wingding"s can be louder with aftermarket exhausts, and they do make a lovely sound.

hapaleeretired: lol + 2!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles