Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 09:58 AM

281 posts, read 368,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I've owned a motorcycle for every year of my life from age 15 to 67 and cannot begin to remember them all but the very first was a side shift 51 pan head Harley I bought used in baskets from Russ Winter in Toronto. An ex To police bike that had seen many stop and go miles with painted black spokes and the ugliest colour of cream paint for tank and fenders that I rode with my dad's WWII leather tanker's helmet ala Lee Marvin. A fine memory of that bike was having the Black Diamond riders catch up with me on a ride up old highway 11 (Yonge St.) holler for me to follow them into the only licensed tavern north of Toronto, the Queens Hotel in Bradford and join them for brewskis. Being only 15 at the time you can imagine how badass I felt and not one waiter asked for my I/D while with those guys.....wonder why?

I went through virtually everything out there from an early 128 James two stroke to competing in "Scrambles" on Bultacos and Maicos.

Triumphs came in rapid succession one after the other with first competitive bike for roadracing being a "Triton" I lovingly built up with the Norton featherbed frame, Ciarriani front forks, A Bonneville engine, DeLorto carbs, every internal crankcase surface polished to a mirror finish to aid oil return, polished rods, Dunstal pushrods, drilled and taper profiled cam gears to reduce contact surface of teeth, lighter rocker arms, everything that could be done to make a bonny engine competititve against the popular bikes of the day without having the thing blowing up on me every race, was done to that engine. I had Avon trigonex tires on that thing with Dunstall tuned exhaust and dearly wish I could hear that engine coming down through the gears for turn three at Harewood just once more before I die.

Alas that engine and Harewood are just 60 year old memories now.

Roadrockets I've owned have included among them the venerable Honda 750 when it was first introduced, those deadly Kawi 500 and 750 triples that I would not want to repeat the cornering experience ever again on one of those. Then through a variety of "mature" rider bikes like the Yamaha all black chrome, Midnight Specials that I had in the 1100 version and wife rode the Maxim 650 version - they were sweet running bikes.

Then tried on a Honda Aspencade for a few years to once again arrive on Harley's doorstep to buy a succesion of three of them with the last being a 2002 Ultra FLTCHUI with every option you could buy, including the Zepplin air seat and led spoiler lights for bags and tour pack.

I no longer ride at age 70 but have nothing but admiration for all of the manufacturers who've brought that industry from a 'ride for 4 and fix for 12' to one of change the oil and ride it like you stole it for as long as you own it.
Cool stories, thanks for sharing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 10:25 AM

2,599 posts, read 2,322,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue biker View Post
Harley had to go with the twin cams to keep engine width down while increasing displacement. Then I believe the used the spring tension cam followers, (which are used in many automobiles), was the chain drive was quieter than a gear drive is. A manufacturer has to meet all sorts of regulations, emission, noise, safety, etc. Once you take the bike off the showroom floor as manufactured it's on you if you break those regulations. There are places where the cops use sound meters and give out tickets for loud exhaust. They also check the part numbers on mufflers. A lot of after market sellers say, "for race use only", Harley says that for some of their own performance parts.

The sound meter isn't really going to pick up the added noise of a gear drive. After owning Honda's. BMW's (that left me stranded at Sturgis), I'm going to stick to Harleys, mine seem reliable and if I do have a problem it seems there's a dealer close by, which if I'm on a trip is important to me.
That's the loophole for aftermarket exhaust. Race use only. It may be called OHV use only. Not sure. Of course everyone rides it on the street anyway.

Yes, dealers being close by is good for Harley riders. Be careful with the dealerships, though. Many are out to gouge people. I read about one fellow who needed a tire. The other one was in near new condition but the dealership would only replace both.

Old 12-31-2015, 12:00 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,029,867 times
Most bikes are good if you maintain them.

Old 01-04-2016, 01:26 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,404,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger76 View Post
Only thing I "Hate" about them is the loud muffler. So annoying. And don't say "loud pipes save lives" because helmets do too

I just loved the sound of the Straight Pipes on my '72 Sportster and yes, like it or not, they made me feel very safe. I can remember being in a car's blindspot many a time, when I knew that they knew I was there. Although I would ride with no helmet just once in a while in certain occasions, I used it about 98% of the time. The only negative to the sound was my hearing.

Whad ya say ??

Old 02-04-2016, 08:22 AM

1 posts, read 626 times
They are terrible bikes. They are slow,plodding, and noisy.I have ridden quite a few so no stranger to them. It is stated that Harleys are a device that convert petrol into noise, I agree with that one.There are many second hand ones on the market here in South Africa at give away prices. Anybody thinking of buying a Harley would be better off buying a Vespa,they are far cheaper to buy and maintain and are more lightly faster too. The fact that few (if any) American motorbike company will not state the HP of their bikes should say something.

Old 02-06-2016, 03:15 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,531,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
That's the loophole for aftermarket exhaust. Race use only. It may be called OHV use only. Not sure. Of course everyone rides it on the street anyway.

Yes, dealers being close by is good for Harley riders. Be careful with the dealerships, though. Many are out to gouge people. I read about one fellow who needed a tire. The other one was in near new condition but the dealership would only replace both.
That's why they call them "stealerships".

Old 02-25-2016, 10:46 AM

902 posts, read 1,104,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodes 69 View Post
They are terrible bikes. They are slow,plodding, and noisy.I have ridden quite a few so no stranger to them. It is stated that Harleys are a device that convert petrol into noise, I agree with that one.There are many second hand ones on the market here in South Africa at give away prices. Anybody thinking of buying a Harley would be better off buying a Vespa,they are far cheaper to buy and maintain and are more lightly faster too. The fact that few (if any) American motorbike company will not state the HP of their bikes should say something.
here in the states Harleys are not cheaper than Vespa scooters, nor are they slower than Vespa scooters.

I suspect the available products and resale market is similar there

are you sure you are not exaggerating? maybe just a little bit

everyone has their favorite brands and clearly Harley is not yours but to say they are cheaper and slower than a beach scooter is ridiculous

they will not out perform sport bikes, they don't make sport bikes, it's not their market but when compared to something similar like a competing "Cruiser type" bike they compare favorably

here in the US the "cruiser style bikes from the "big 4" in japan are referred to as "Metric Cruisers"

Star Raider (Yamaha) 113-cubic-inch (1854cc) air-cooled V-twin (HP unpublished) $14,990
vs
H-D Wide Glide 103-cubic-inch (1690cc) air-cooled V-twin (HP unpublished) $16,749

both get 42mpg, 0-60mph is almost identical as is 1/4mi and top speed... and HD warranty is better

the Raider is slightly faster, and handles a little bit better but still cannot escape it's fast depreciation

Metric cruisers used to be about 1/2 the price of the comparable Harley, but recently have raised their prices due to a weak Yen and Strong Dollar....they are about the same price now, yet still depreciate much faster

are they more reliable?... they used to be but HD has modernized to the point where they are comparable now.... not sure where your Vespa Scooter ranks in reliability and performance, but I suspect well below Harley-Davidson

Harley makes a good product, which is the reason for their worldwide success. Are there better motorcycles out there? probably...... but certainly not anything made by Vespa

Last edited by azsportpilot; 02-25-2016 at 11:01 AM..

Old 02-25-2016, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsportpilot View Post
Metric cruisers used to be about 1/2 the price of the comparable Harley, but recently have raised their prices due to a weak Yen and Strong Dollar....they are about the same price now, yet still depreciate much faster

are they more reliable?... they used to be but HD has modernized to the point where they are comparable now.... not sure where your Vespa Scooter ranks in reliability and performance, but I suspect well below Harley-Davidson

I thought the strong dollar means an American's dollar buys more.

The EVO era Harleys were very reliable. I know there were some problems with the initial twin-cams but heard they got sorted out...From what I read, I acquired the impression the "big-twins" of the past few years fell a bit in terms of reliability.

I would consider a Harley if it had enough cornering clearance for me. None of the new models do.

Old 02-25-2016, 03:47 PM

902 posts, read 1,104,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
I thought the strong dollar means an American's dollar buys more.

The EVO era Harleys were very reliable. I know there were some problems with the initial twin-cams but heard they got sorted out...From what I read, I acquired the impression the "big-twins" of the past few years fell a bit in terms of reliability.

I would consider a Harley if it had enough cornering clearance for me. None of the new models do.
i have a 2004 HD with the early "Twin-Cam" design, later versions are better but I have not had a problem

it's 12 years old and over 35,000 miles, so far nothing but routing maintenance at the published intervals

but it does have a shortage of cornering clearance as all harleys do (except maybe the XR1200X) even then.... not a "Crotch-Rocket"

2011 Harley-Davidson XR1200X FIRST RIDE Motorcycle Review- Photos: Hot laps at Road America on The Motor Company

Old 02-25-2016, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsportpilot View Post
i have a 2004 HD with the early "Twin-Cam" design, later versions are better but I have not had a problem

it's 12 years old and over 35,000 miles, so far nothing but routing maintenance at the published intervals

but it does have a shortage of cornering clearance as all harleys do (except maybe the XR1200X) even then.... not a "Crotch-Rocket"

2011 Harley-Davidson XR1200X FIRST RIDE Motorcycle Review- Photos: Hot laps at Road America on The Motor Company
Thank you for the link.

It's good to hear your twin-cam has been reliable.

In addition to the XR1200X, there was the 1200S (made before '04). It had good cornering clearance and traditional Harley styling as well. The FXR model had good cornering clearance, but they don't make it anymore. I don't recall how many degrees of lean angle the FXR models had. I know it's more than any of the current Dynas, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles