Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 11:56 AM

902 posts, read 1,104,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
Thank you for the link.

It's good to hear your twin-cam has been reliable.

In addition to the XR1200X, there was the 1200S (made before '04). It had good cornering clearance and traditional Harley styling as well. The FXR model had good cornering clearance, but they don't make it anymore. I don't recall how many degrees of lean angle the FXR models had. I know it's more than any of the current Dynas, though.
yup, 35,000 miles and not problems, but...

I would like to upgrade to a post 2007 model equipped with the "Twin-Cam 96ci" motor as these later ones have the "Hydraulic" Cam Chain Tensioners

or retrofit my 04 to the "Hydraulic" Cam Chain Tensioners .... big job though

$500 in parts & 5.5 hours labor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 02:38 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,322,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azsportpilot View Post
I would like to upgrade to a post 2007 model equipped with the "Twin-Cam 96ci" motor as these later ones have the "Hydraulic" Cam Chain Tensioners

or retrofit my 04 to the "Hydraulic" Cam Chain Tensioners .... big job though
No need to get a new bike. You can boost your 88ci engine to 96ci and beyond. S&S makes good stuff.

Old 02-26-2016, 03:28 PM

Quote:
No need to get a new bike. You can boost your 88ci engine to 96ci and beyond. S&S makes good stuff.
I did the "Stage 1" upgrade and it added a lot of power.. its amazing what just a bigger air cleaner, ECU Flash and good exhaust will do... I'm satisfied with the power

but I would like the hydraulic cam chain tensioners

Old 02-26-2016, 09:38 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,322,599 times
Quote:
but I would like the hydraulic cam chain tensioners

More than gear driven cams? I think they have that mod.

Old 02-28-2016, 10:32 AM

1,352 posts, read 1,531,151 times
Quote:
More than gear driven cams? I think they have that mod.
I'd rather have the gear driven cams, the hydraulic cam tensioners might be better than spring loaded tensioner but you still have a nylon (or some kind of plastic) riding against a chain, sort of a ticking time bomb though, no real idea how long they'll last. Gear drive eliminates that problem altogether.

Old 02-29-2016, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue biker View Post
I'd rather have the gear driven cams, the hydraulic cam tensioners might be better than spring loaded tensioner but you still have a nylon (or some kind of plastic) riding against a chain, sort of a ticking time bomb though, no real idea how long they'll last. Gear drive eliminates that problem altogether.
the gear drive conversion is good too, but quite a bit more costly, usually involving replacing the cams and sometimes the crank (if runout exceeds tolerance)

The only draw backs to the gear drive are...noise and cost.

Noise emissions are one of the reasons that H-D didn't use them, sure would have saved them some headaches

Gears set up properly are great, the crank runout needs to be within spec (.003 or less, preferably .002 or less) and you need to check backlash and go with an oversized or undersized gear as appropriate. .... sounds complicated and expensive

I once read somewhere... "If you are looking for every fraction of a horse power, absolute spot on timing, then go with gears. If you want reliability, quiet, and are just running down the road, go with the new style tensioners."

also read... "The first step is to check your runout. The results may make your choice for you."

sounds like a "gear-drive" conversion can get really expensive if your crank runout exceeds tolerance

Old 02-29-2016, 12:38 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,531,151 times
Quote:
the gear drive conversion is good too, but quite a bit more costly, usually involving replacing the cams and sometimes the crank (if runout exceeds tolerance)

The only draw backs to the gear drive are...noise and cost.

Noise emissions are one of the reasons that H-D didn't use them, sure would have saved them some headaches

Gears set up properly are great, the crank runout needs to be within spec (.003 or less, preferably .002 or less) and you need to check backlash and go with an oversized or undersized gear as appropriate. .... sounds complicated and expensive

I once read somewhere... "If you are looking for every fraction of a horse power, absolute spot on timing, then go with gears. If you want reliability, quiet, and are just running down the road, go with the new style tensioners."

also read... "The first step is to check your runout. The results may make your choice for you."

sounds like a "gear-drive" conversion can get really expensive if your crank runout exceeds tolerance
I had an independent bike shop put a gear drive in my 99 Road King. The runout was OK so we went ahead and did the gear drive. If it whines any more, I can't tell the difference, runs good and I never have to worry about it again. I used something similar to the stock grind. That and a 30K mile service (fork oil change, etc.) was about $1900. Considering even the hyd. tensioners still use a nylon shoe against the chain, there's going to be some wear. I will say that from what I've read, just replacing the spring tensioners and using the original chain in the original direction of, the replacement tensioners should last longer since the chain was "polished" buy the first set of tensioners.

I don't know why HD doesn't sell a gear drive setup under the Screaming Eagle "track use only" banner.
Yes the gear installation is a little more complicated but once done it's worry free,

Old 02-29-2016, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue biker View Post
I had an independent bike shop put a gear drive in my 99 Road King. The runout was OK so we went ahead and did the gear drive. If it whines any more, I can't tell the difference, runs good and I never have to worry about it again. I used something similar to the stock grind. That and a 30K mile service (fork oil change, etc.) was about $1900. Considering even the hyd. tensioners still use a nylon shoe against the chain, there's going to be some wear. I will say that from what I've read, just replacing the spring tensioners and using the original chain in the original direction of, the replacement tensioners should last longer since the chain was "polished" buy the first set of tensioners.

I don't know why HD doesn't sell a gear drive setup under the Screaming Eagle "track use only" banner.
Yes the gear installation is a little more complicated but once done it's worry free,
It is odd that they don't.... the market is enormous when you figure how many TC-88 engines are out there

I would feel a lot more comfortable if there was an HD Gear-drive upgrade kit

Even if I opted for the S&S or some other aftermarket version, the fact that HD sells a version too would add some credibility to this type of modification

think about it? every other modification or "soup up" kit available in the aftermarket world is also available from HD for a couple bucks more

Old 03-21-2016, 03:15 PM

494 posts, read 501,535 times
I have owned Harleys. They're comfortable, smooth, reliable, and stylish. With that said, today, I ride an Indian Chief. Harley historically neglected their customers and weren't a good value in my opinion...not a bad value, but they should offer more for what you pay. . . .I'd buy a used one.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:23 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,177,908 times
I have to say.....
I think they're still amazing bikes....
I went to a few different Harley
shops over the past few weeks.....
So my intention was to look at Sportsers.....
I fell in love with a fatbob, though-
A beautiful orange fatbob.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles