Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 03:45 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,757,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I wasn't suggesting them for the styling....
but rather for the riding comfort of the frame type.
That's why I said to TEST RIDE one.

But if cruiser "styling" is what you're really about...
just go and get the Harley that you really want.
It wasnt a Harley ; its a Honda Shadow 750 im looking at. Other than the prestigious name , recognition, etc... is a Harley in this style and size really going to be head n shoulders above the Honda ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
Check out the Honda Nighthawk. You'll have to go a few years back, but there's usually a few on CL. It's a 'standard' bike which will really give you more of a neutral riding position (as opposed to the leaned back approach the Shadow will have). My brother is about your size and he started on a used Nighthawk 750. It was an awesome bike that I always enjoyed stealing a ride on when I could. The neutral seating position made it feel very tossable but comfy as well. Power was good, but not overwhelming. And, being a Honda, he never had a single problem with it.

Mike
I looked at some pics and specs online for the Nighthawk, and Im just partial to the muscle look of the Shadow with the way the fenders are cut close to the tires, etc... Ill have to go to my Honda Dealer and sit on a few just to be sure , but I love the aggresive look of the Shadow.

Old 06-19-2011, 05:10 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,642,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The Shadow is a good enough starter bike if a little heavy.

I'd rather see a newbie on a more upright standard frame...
combine that with being tall and even more reason to go with a standard frame seating position
(test ride the Suzuki SV650 as a comparison)
I agree 200%!! A bike that's to small be it a motorcycle or a bicycle is just not gonna be comfortable to ride very far and could be dangerous since control could be an issue since you'll be all cramped up!

Please learn about frame sizing so the stars in your eyes don't blind you to the frame that fits......you!

Road rash is very painful!

Old 06-19-2011, 07:14 PM

4,531 posts, read 8,841,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
I looked at some pics and specs online for the Nighthawk, and Im just partial to the muscle look of the Shadow with the way the fenders are cut close to the tires, etc... Ill have to go to my Honda Dealer and sit on a few just to be sure , but I love the aggresive look of the Shadow.
One thing to think about is what if you ever have to ride your motorcycle on a muddy dirt road? Those fenders cut close to your tires become a HUGE DANGER when riding on mud. If there isn't enough clearance between the fender and the tire it will eventually pack in there and stop the wheel and tire.

I realize MOST of you will never ride on unpaved roads but if you live off of a paved road it is one thing to consider when looking at a bike.

GL2

Old 06-19-2011, 09:03 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,145,021 times
Quote:

Fair enough, but I will echo what others are saying about making sure the bike fits you. Aesthetics are all well and good, but if you don't fit or the riding position/style doesn't suit you, that good-looking bike will only become a good-looking garage ornament.

Mike

Old 06-19-2011, 10:08 PM

3,483 posts, read 8,987,116 times
What i think you could be most disappointed in is how much "muscle" the shadow is lacking. Take no offense (especially any shadow owners) but the shadow is not made to be a muscle cruiser, and it isn't one. I've never thought the looks are particularly muscular anyway, especially with comparison to the muscle cruisers of the past or present (VF750, Valkyries, VTX1800C, CB900C, M109R, etc). A good friend of mine was really wanting a HD, but couldn't find one he could afford AND could fit on he's about 6'2" and didn't feel very comfortable on the Sportster...and really couldn't find a big framed HD in his price range. He settled for a Shadow 1100 and has ridden it plenty. He seems to like the power it provides and the two up capabilities it offers...it's no speed machine though, and either 650 in my garage would pull away from it in a straight line...or a twisty.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
One thing to think about is what if you ever have to ride your motorcycle on a muddy dirt road? Those fenders cut close to your tires become a HUGE DANGER when riding on mud. If there isn't enough clearance between the fender and the tire it will eventually pack in there and stop the wheel and tire.

I realize MOST of you will never ride on unpaved roads but if you live off of a paved road it is one thing to consider when looking at a bike.

GL2
I wont be riding in mud at all. Only dry asphalt or packed down stone roads here in hot Florida. And if by a very remote chance im caught in the rain, it will be on a paved highway in which i will stop and take cover...since all the thunderstorms where i live are over within 2 hours max.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
Fair enough, but I will echo what others are saying about making sure the bike fits you. Aesthetics are all well and good, but if you don't fit or the riding position/style doesn't suit you, that good-looking bike will only become a good-looking garage ornament.

Mike
I went back and sat on the Shadow for sale , and I love the way it fits my crotch and body. WIth the seat he has on it, im sitting upright and there is not a big stretch at all to the handlebars . By the way, it is a 2004 model .

Old 06-20-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
What i think you could be most disappointed in is how much "muscle" the shadow is lacking. Take no offense (especially any shadow owners) but the shadow is not made to be a muscle cruiser, and it isn't one. I've never thought the looks are particularly muscular anyway, especially with comparison to the muscle cruisers of the past or present (VF750, Valkyries, VTX1800C, CB900C, M109R, etc). A good friend of mine was really wanting a HD, but couldn't find one he could afford AND could fit on he's about 6'2" and didn't feel very comfortable on the Sportster...and really couldn't find a big framed HD in his price range. He settled for a Shadow 1100 and has ridden it plenty. He seems to like the power it provides and the two up capabilities it offers...it's no speed machine though, and either 650 in my garage would pull away from it in a straight line...or a twisty.
Im not looking for a speed bike...just one i can putz with and keep very shiny looking and maybe join a club with for some local cruising and shows. Im 57 years old and have a 1970 540 h.p. 4 speed Corvette for the occassional speed therapy I need. WIth a Bike, Im going to be extremely careful with how i use it and basically putz along down country roads taking in the scenery and fresh air. I do appreciate your points however and thats why i love these kinds of newsgroups. Thanks.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:31 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,261,506 times
Quote:
I checked out a couple of Suziki SV650's on CraigsList just now, and i dont really care for the styling of the bike...particularly the rear deck . Looks too much like an executive type Bike with the engine covers for my liking...but thats just my opinion. I like that open-look of the motor , pipes, etc...
Open? http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/cro...0-2_460x0w.jpg

I can see the engine just fine.

Quote:
I looked at some pics and specs online for the Nighthawk, and Im just partial to the muscle look of the Shadow...
The irony there being that a Nighthawk 750 will easily out-muscle a Shadow 750. Also a Magna 750...

Want a real muscle bike?
http://cdn.vflyer.com/r2/prodinsts/4...442038_max.jpg

Monster torque, I don't really know of any V-Twin cruiser that can really touch it for brute acceleration. Oh, and it handles.

Not recommended for a new rider, however. But there are a number of standards that could fit the bill.

But the Shadow is pretty decent and reasonable.

Last edited by Nepenthe; 06-20-2011 at 11:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles