Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 11:00 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,355,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
BATH, England, July 29 (UPI) -- Motorcycle helmets may protect bikers' brains but they also may contribute to hearing loss, researchers in Britain say.

Researchers at the University of Bath and Bath Spa University in England say the distinctive roar of a Harley's engine is loud, but studies have revealed the biggest source of noise for motorcyclists is actually generated by air whooshing over the riders' helmets. Even at legal speeds, the sound can exceed safe levels, the researchers say.

Read more: Motorcycle helmets may be hard on hearing - UPI.com
There's nothing surprising about this. At 50+ mph, the wind whistling past your melon is loud. That's why I always wear ear plugs when I take any kind of trip.

A more accurate thread title would be, "Loud Wind is Hard on Hearing."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 11:30 AM

1,203 posts, read 4,070,180 times
I figured this out the first time I rode on the highway for about 5 minutes. Since then I've always had earplugs in. In addition to saving your hearing, it also makes the ride more pleasant. Even if you're not at hearing loss levels of noise, the loud and constant wind noise can tire you out quickly.

And for what it's worth, windshields don't always help. The windshield on my bike channeled the wind directly under my helmet, making it extremely loud. Without a windshield, it's actually a lot quieter.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:14 PM

3,373 posts, read 9,181,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
There are probably millions of people with ringing in their ears as they get older that have never even sat on a motorcycle before. There are health problems that cause this. You should check into that.I started riding in the early 70's and have never even considered using earplugs. I have excellent hearing.
I have mild Titinius nothing that needs checking out.

Hearing loss is like shocks wearing out on your car. You never notice until it is leaking.

Are you saying you hearing is excellent from a self assessment or did an audiologist say that it is?

Old 01-02-2013, 04:57 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,680,434 times
Maybe that's why I mumble. whoops.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:35 PM

8,269 posts, read 13,371,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raveabouttoast View Post
And for what it's worth, windshields don't always help. The windshield on my bike channeled the wind directly under my helmet, making it extremely loud. Without a windshield, it's actually a lot quieter.
I have to agree. I put on a decent size, sporty windshield on my Vulcan 900 Custom which was blocking the wind and it looked good too. A year later, I took it off when upgrading the brake line with a steel braided one and forgot to put it back on before riding again. After first ride, I was like "Wow!" Now, I am riding without it. Imho, unless the screen goes all the way to somewhere around rider's eye level, you are better off without it.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:42 PM

337 posts, read 895,673 times
Yeah, earplugs are a simple solution. I use in ear headphones... muffles the noise quite well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles