Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 07:38 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
As a 5-year DL650 rider I might be somewhat biased, but I would unhesitatingly recommend a Suzuki V-Strom 650 to a new, tall rider. Of course it's not a cruiser -- in fact it might accurately be described as an "anti-cruiser" -- but it's a reliable, forgiving, and comfortable ride. Now that the "next-generation" 2012 V-Strom 650 is out, many people are trading in their 2005-11 models, so you might have good lucking finding a used one.
Most people would call that style a standard... i agree it's a good bike to learn on, and for some people all the bike they would ever want.

In all my years i have never hear the term anti cruiser LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 05:19 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,018,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackC1027 View Post
Hey everyone. I just wanted to update this thread, I did get a bike a few months ago, a 2005 Honda Shadow 750DC. The bike was a bit small for me, however I have installed some 6" forward controls (extensions for the clutch and rear break). The bike was in rough shape when I got it home, previous owner seems to have not taken proper maintenance of it what so ever. I pulled the carb on it (twice) to clean and rejet, overhauled the front forks, changed the thermostat, oil, may be replacing the water pump (require's removing the engine from the frame, :\, but oh well).

Must say this bike with the forward controls is a nice starter bike, would recommend it to future tall riders who are looking for a first bike.
Now that you got a bike, whats your opinion of a 750cc for a new rider (starter bike)? Too much power or just enough?

Old 07-28-2012, 06:49 PM

129 posts, read 530,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Now that you got a bike, whats your opinion of a 750cc for a new rider (starter bike)? Too much power or just enough?
It is a great bike to learn to ride! I did not have any experience riding other than taking the MSF class. I got the bike in March, and have been riding pretty often since. Just take it slow at first, and don't ride/do anything you are not compfortable with.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:30 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,173,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
cc doesn't directly equate to HP, especially when talking across different genres of bikes. But I would say 750cc in the cruiser category would be pretty safe.

Mike

Old 07-31-2012, 10:18 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,915,269 times
I'm 6'4". I am most comfortable on a dual sport bike. Upright seating position is easier on the back. I own 2 Suzuki V-Strom 650. Very easy to ride. I can ride it all day long. Lots of accessories that are available, afordable, and 50mpg. If you want something even a little lighter, I also own a Yamaha WR250R. If you want off road, that's the way to go. 80MPG, can cruise at 70 MPH, just not into the wind, but very easy to ride and learn and tons of fun. However it depends on what you want the bike for. To impress or to ride.

Old 08-31-2012, 03:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,652 times
I am 6'10 and i am looking for my first bike, i like harley davidsons and i am looking for a cruser. What is the best bike for me?

Old 09-01-2012, 01:41 AM

2,528 posts, read 2,816,775 times
Quote:
I have started looking for a motorcycle to buy for the spring/summer of next year. I am 6' 4", so I am looking for a compfortable bike for myself. I am looking at a cruiser bike, maybe a VStar or a Shadow. Are those any good for starter bikes, and for tall guys?
Well, one thing you will most likely need is forward controls on your bike. I had them installed on my '06 Harley Dyna Street Bob along with some other goodies before I even picked it up at the dealer. Mid controls are fine for short around town rides, but for long 2...3....4 or even more hour rides it makes things much more comfortable. I got used to having them and can't/won't ride anything else from back to the first Harley I ever jumped on. You can stretch your legs out and it feels very comfortable. You have to get yourself used to them though. A lot of guys who never rode with them don't like them at first. You'll get used to it and love them in a short time. When I had it coverted I also had a custom HD billet aluminum shift linkage with ball roller bearing installed. It made the difference between night and day from those crappy bushing stock ones that came in the kit. It shifted glass smooth even under full power power shifts. I'd put those on any bike you are looking at provided they, or some aftermarket outfit makes them for it. I worked out a deal when I bought mine to get $1,500 worth of FREE add-ons and labor. You couldn't pass that deal up! LOL

Cool stuff dude!

Old 09-01-2012, 02:03 AM

2,528 posts, read 2,816,775 times
How do you do that? You need to watch for sales and or rebates. I was all set to buy them and install them myself. I hit the right time with the rebate plus told my salesman I needed a cash price today on it. I'm not BSing you. Make my deal and I'll sign the papers right now and write the check. He must have been having a bad week because he jumped on that offer.

That may work with other makes. You won't know until you try. Salesmen don't like to get chewed out on Friday come payday and when they get home to mama if they had a bad week.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:52 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
I have started looking for a motorcycle to buy for the spring/summer of next year. I am 6' 4", so I am looking for a compfortable bike for myself. I am looking at a cruiser bike, maybe a VStar or a Shadow. Are those any good for starter bikes, and for tall guys?
Comfortable cruiser for tall guy? pow_html

Old 09-04-2012, 06:09 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,370,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelyoungII View Post
I am 6'10 and i am looking for my first bike, i like harley davidsons and i am looking for a cruser. What is the best bike for me?
There is no way that we can tell you what bike will be comfortable for you. Basically, you need to visit several dealer showrooms and sit on a bunch of different bikes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles