Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 09:48 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,600,844 times

Advertisements

I'll echo the others who suggested starting out on something higher than a 50cc but maybe lower than a 200cc. I worked for a dealer, and for a first time buyer, we were always recommending something in the 125-150 range. Top speed is generally 60mph on these, so you can keep up with traffic well enough but not feel like grandmas are passing you by like you would with a 50cc. It also depends on what your needs are as well, as a 50cc is not ideal for hills, and in some states is illegal to go over bridges and on the highway.

I've seen a lot of people happy with some Genuine scooters, as well as Kymco, but our main sellers were Vespas. Also make sure you get all of the safety gear as well, including a jacket with Kevlar and gloves. Those can make a world of difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 04:41 PM

9,327 posts, read 21,976,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim21784 View Post
My apology for the delayed response, we've been traveling quite a bit and I missed your question in a timely manor. My answer to your question is ABSOLUTELY NO UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES! The smallest MP3, the 250, is a heavy and quirky machine. It is, IMO, a very bad choice as a starter unit (though very fine for its intended application with an experienced rider).

I have two adult daughters who are the delight of my life - if they proposed to start with an MP3, I would destroy their vehicles before I would allow them to venture onto the road (and beat their SO or husband severely for not preventing such action.)

I would much prefer that you start with an 80/125/150cc unit to get your initial riding smarts established if you don't go with a 50cc trainer and then upgrade. The MP3s are NOT for inexperienced riders - please don't go there.

Understand that there is a severe learning curve to riding. Violate a cautious and respectful approach to the subject and you may well be a bloodspot. JMHO
Appreciate the advise which I'm taking seriously. You probably saved me from making a mistake on the road with a scooter I could not control! I took the MSF motorcycle course and learned to ride on a Suzuki DR200SE (200 cc).

Old 07-23-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
I'll echo the others who suggested starting out on something higher than a 50cc but maybe lower than a 200cc. I worked for a dealer, and for a first time buyer, we were always recommending something in the 125-150 range. Top speed is generally 60mph on these, so you can keep up with traffic well enough but not feel like grandmas are passing you by like you would with a 50cc. It also depends on what your needs are as well, as a 50cc is not ideal for hills, and in some states is illegal to go over bridges and on the highway.

I've seen a lot of people happy with some Genuine scooters, as well as Kymco, but our main sellers were Vespas. Also make sure you get all of the safety gear as well, including a jacket with Kevlar and gloves. Those can make a world of difference.
Thanks to you as well.. I'm now looking at 150cc and maybe in a year or so move up to a Piaggio mp3 as I gain confidence. For the most part I don't plan on getting on the highway for a while and no night driving.. though I must say taking a Motorcycle Safety Foundation course should be a must for everyone.. I learned a lot.. ...

Old 07-31-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Thanks to you as well.. I'm now looking at 150cc and maybe in a year or so move up to a Piaggio mp3 as I gain confidence. For the most part I don't plan on getting on the highway for a while and no night driving.. though I must say taking a Motorcycle Safety Foundation course should be a must for everyone.. I learned a lot.. ...
Well my search for a 150cc scooter ended. I found a leftover (10 miles) 2010 Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie (460cc) for the same price as a new 2012 150cc scooter.

At first I was intimidate by its weight (420 pounds) but once I sat on it, and pushed it off its center stand and started the engine.. its a very easy scooter to drive and manuever. I've been up and down town roads and in traffic with lights, etc. and have gotten used to it very quickly. I don't plan to take it on the highway or drive it at night as of yet. I'm going to wait after a month of daily use before I tackle those milestones.... I think it has the power I need and now know if I had bought a 150cc I would have been bored with it in a month or so...

Old 08-01-2012, 10:33 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,244,361 times
Quote:
Well my search for a 150cc scooter ended. I found a leftover (10 miles) 2010 Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie (460cc) for the same price as a new 2012 150cc scooter.

At first I was intimidate by its weight (420 pounds) but once I sat on it, and pushed it off its center stand and started the engine.. its a very easy scooter to drive and manuever. I've been up and down town roads and in traffic with lights, etc. and have gotten used to it very quickly. I don't plan to take it on the highway or drive it at night as of yet. I'm going to wait after a month of daily use before I tackle those milestones.... I think it has the power I need and now know if I had bought a 150cc I would have been bored with it in a month or so...
Great choice. There is a pretty active Aprilia owners group on the web at apriliaforum.com. Lots of tips on maintenance and performance tweaks. They're very nice machines, and a great group of people.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Great choice. There is a pretty active Aprilia owners group on the web at apriliaforum.com. Lots of tips on maintenance and performance tweaks. They're very nice machines, and a great group of people.
Thanks for the tip... I'll sign up. Perhaps someone can help me decipher the owners manual. Worst ever.. pictures are light gray and explanation on where things are (check brake fluid level, etc.) are not easily transparent.

I'm surprised how easy it is to drive/manuever, once you get used to the size and horsepower.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:29 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,244,361 times
Quote:
Thanks for the tip... I'll sign up. Perhaps someone can help me decipher the owners manual. Worst ever.. pictures are light gray and explanation on where things are (check brake fluid level, etc.) are not easily transparent.

I'm surprised how easy it is to drive/manuever, once you get used to the size and horsepower.
Everything you never wanted to know...

Aprilia and Piaggio 500cc

Old 08-02-2012, 06:00 PM

1,534 posts, read 4,254,771 times
minibrings: Well lad, you've definitely started at the top end of the scale. The Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie has lots of fans and is reportedly a very fine ride. I wouldn't have recommended that course of action for a 1st scooter but its your choice.

I fully understand the attraction of the cost/benefit of buying an older maxi versus a current model smaller scoot (I actually suggested used, but that advice is moot) but please understand that there are sound reasons for starting with .22 caliber versus a .44 Magnum before one ventures into combat. You need to be aware that you've a lot more ride than your skill set. No offense is intended but you have sort of started with a Vette in lieu of a Corolla, it would be wise (IMO) to be very cognizant of that fact.

I'm also not fond of non-ABS rides. I sold my MP3 and TMax for that reason and and unloaded my ABS Reflex to make more garage space. I'm down to a '12 SW which I'm very happy with (ABS is standard).

A few suggestions, if you don't mind, (feel perfectly free to ignore my opinions):

1) If you are not already aware of them - invest in buying copies of "Proficient Motorcycling (& the follow on, "More Proficient Motorcycling") - they are superb books on all aspects of riding and just might save your butt if you pay attention to the guy's advice.

2) As soon as you are comfortable - definitely plan on taking the next level of the MSF training courses. That is a very valuable piece of advice. Just do it - it will keep you alive.

3) Practice emergency braking & swerve drills (WITH GREAT CAUTION - its very easy to dump your ride in panic stops.) You'll quickly learn that G forces are a real issue to deal with in emergency situations - the smart rider does it in non-emergency situations often enough so that when its "its real" your reactions are instinctive.

Approach emergency stops with great respect - start at no more than 15MPH, increase by 5MPH levels - when you get to the 40-50-60 MPH ranges, let me know how you do. The higher speed situations are a genuine challenge when you are doing them for practice - gives one a whole different appreciation if you need to do it IRL without forewarning.

I ride in a Bambi invested environment and its quite common for me to have to stop "real quick" - the practice has saved my butt. A non-ABS ride puts you at a distinct disadvantage especially in wet conditions - you may have to learn that the hard way, such is life. JMO

4) Gear - if you don't ride all the time, EVERY time with race quality gear (leathers or Keprotec fabric, with high quality armor), gloves, boots, helmet - please fill out the donor card when you register your ride. At least that way you'll make a positive contribution to society in dying (if you are lucky, otherwise be prepared to be crippled for the rest of your life) but will still cost me higher medical insurance premiums, which I'm not fond of in supporting idiots.

If you want the poster child on that issue - Google NY state ABATE rally where a guy dumped his bike at low speed during an ABATE rally, smashed his skull and died - because he wouldn't wear a helmet. Gene pool cleaning does serve a purpose, IMHO. One can ride with any gear (or lack thereof) they choose, just kindly don't ask me to support your medical costs.

Ride safe.

Last edited by Pilgrim21784; 08-02-2012 at 06:26 PM..

Old 08-03-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim21784 View Post
minibrings: Well lad, you've definitely started at the top end of the scale. The Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie has lots of fans and is reportedly a very fine ride. I wouldn't have recommended that course of action for a 1st scooter but its your choice.

I fully understand the attraction of the cost/benefit of buying an older maxi versus a current model smaller scoot (I actually suggested used, but that advice is moot) but please understand that there are sound reasons for starting with .22 caliber versus a .44 Magnum before one ventures into combat. You need to be aware that you've a lot more ride than your skill set. No offense is intended but you have sort of started with a Vette in lieu of a Corolla, it would be wise (IMO) to be very cognizant of that fact.

I'm also not fond of non-ABS rides. I sold my MP3 and TMax for that reason and and unloaded my ABS Reflex to make more garage space. I'm down to a '12 SW which I'm very happy with (ABS is standard).

A few suggestions, if you don't mind, (feel perfectly free to ignore my opinions):

1) If you are not already aware of them - invest in buying copies of "Proficient Motorcycling (& the follow on, "More Proficient Motorcycling") - they are superb books on all aspects of riding and just might save your butt if you pay attention to the guy's advice.

2) As soon as you are comfortable - definitely plan on taking the next level of the MSF training courses. That is a very valuable piece of advice. Just do it - it will keep you alive.

3) Practice emergency braking & swerve drills (WITH GREAT CAUTION - its very easy to dump your ride in panic stops.) You'll quickly learn that G forces are a real issue to deal with in emergency situations - the smart rider does it in non-emergency situations often enough so that when its "its real" your reactions are instinctive.

Approach emergency stops with great respect - start at no more than 15MPH, increase by 5MPH levels - when you get to the 40-50-60 MPH ranges, let me know how you do. The higher speed situations are a genuine challenge when you are doing them for practice - gives one a whole different appreciation if you need to do it IRL without forewarning.

I ride in a Bambi invested environment and its quite common for me to have to stop "real quick" - the practice has saved my butt. A non-ABS ride puts you at a distinct disadvantage especially in wet conditions - you may have to learn that the hard way, such is life. JMO

4) Gear - if you don't ride all the time, EVERY time with race quality gear (leathers or Keprotec fabric, with high quality armor), gloves, boots, helmet - please fill out the donor card when you register your ride. At least that way you'll make a positive contribution to society in dying (if you are lucky, otherwise be prepared to be crippled for the rest of your life) but will still cost me higher medical insurance premiums, which I'm not fond of in supporting idiots.

If you want the poster child on that issue - Google NY state ABATE rally where a guy dumped his bike at low speed during an ABATE rally, smashed his skull and died - because he wouldn't wear a helmet. Gene pool cleaning does serve a purpose, IMHO. One can ride with any gear (or lack thereof) they choose, just kindly don't ask me to support your medical costs.

Ride safe.
Yes its a fine ride. I know you don't know me but in 30 years of driving, no tickets, no accidents Ive gotten 1 parking ticket. Thats it.... Even my MSF instructors noted they could tell that I'd be cautious on the roads on a bike. I always with a helmet and my kevlar motorcycle gear on to preserve my gene pool.

I had a scooter as a teen, and a motorcycle for one term of college when I spent a semster overseas. So I'm a newbie, but have had some experience in the way past.

I do listen and appreciate any advise from folks.

Last edited by minibrings; 08-03-2012 at 11:21 AM..

Old 08-22-2012, 12:05 PM

396 posts, read 921,828 times
2-3 thousands sound crazy to you??? The cheapest 150 cc Vespa is $4500 before taxes and fees. The most expensive is 7K.
It's the best scooter, the only all metal body, no plastic. Used Vespas are not much cheaper. They hold value better than any car and moto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles