Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 03:10 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times

Advertisements

We make sure we have the money, then finance them so we don't have to lose that liquid cash. Most of the time the interest is so low, it almost costs you nothing. House is paid off in five years.....then we will have to be careful to not spend all that 'extra' cash'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 03:18 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,700,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Or do a lot of people managed to get financed/credit for each toy?

Just some random thoughts since I live in an area where toy-haulers are seen passing through regularly.
Financed and go in the hole big time. I don't know how many lawsuits i've seen for corvettes and other 50K+ cars. I don't know how many lawsuits i've seen for quads and dirt bikes. I've only seen one boat lawsuit but meh.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:24 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,127,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halleycomet View Post

But I do see a lot of "deals" at bike dealers that also sell "toys" that would allow a family to have several of these things for what would seem to be a reasonable loan payment per month. If you consider that the kids are WITH the parents having FUN together---not "Wandering the streets" as they say---and many of these people camp or own a "toy hauler" that functions as a cabin AND the pick up---then you save a LOT of money on these hobbies vs some I could think of. Also some people rent these out when they are not using them.

Would I rather spend $$$ every month knowing where my kids are and what they are doing? What's the price of a kid who wanders off and drinks or drugs?
It's true that ATVing, snowmobiling, etc. are activities that the entire family can enjoy if they each have their
own vehicle. I suppose many people do not think of these as "family" activities, more adult activities, but in fact for many families in rural areas they're their main form of recreation.

(Although I've seen a lot less four-wheelers, dirt bikes, etc. going down my dirt road out here to the trails than before, perhaps because the land is all posted now or the kids have all grown up)

Old 10-16-2012, 11:58 AM

29,503 posts, read 14,656,154 times
When I was young and single and had a decent paying job I financed my toys. Had a 26' sport boat that I ended up building a 675hp motor for, a street/strip car, snowmobiles , dirtbike and a diesel truck to pull them with. As the economy started to fade, my wages started dropping I kept the lifestyle...eventually using more and more credit. One summer I broke the motor in my boat and charged a new one so I could get back on the water. I eventually ended up very far into CC debt. It took years to get out of it. Now I'm 43 married, not a single credit card and the only payment we have is a house. We still have a boat (although much smaller) , some quads and a Polaris RZR, some snowmobiles and an older truck to pull them with. Everything is payed for just not new. I'll pay cash and buy pre owned from now on.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:51 AM

1,297 posts, read 4,770,541 times
If I had to pay cash for my rides I would not be able to have much of a life. But I can afford payments so debt is my weakness. I have always had debt and always will, but at least I have some fun and reliability while in debt.

I did pay cash for my mobilehome with land so that helps and put 20 percent down on a rental property and get twice what payment is so that helps too.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:53 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,696,709 times
I pay cash for my cars. The salesmen hate it.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:43 AM

651 posts, read 1,562,914 times
its about 50%/50% cash v credit here

Old 11-20-2012, 03:51 PM

1,684 posts, read 1,185,696 times
When I was a kid....I bought WELL USED 2 stroke dirt bikes with what little money I had then.

I bought a brand new Yamaha Razz.

I bought a New Harley Dyna Street Bob, new Yamaha Zuma and a new Polaris Sportsman 500 ATV.

I bought my bass boat 3 years old like new.

The only thing I ever had payments on was my Harley. It was about $15,500 the way I picked it up after ordering. I put about another $3,000 into it before selling it.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:54 PM

268 posts, read 817,467 times
I paid cash for all three of my dirt bikes. $8k for my 2010 KTM 300xc, $75K for the 2011 KTM 530exc and $100 for the 1979 Honda Elsinore 250. Have an awesome job I love, the house is paid off, the farm is paid off and rented out. No credit card debt.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:12 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,720,156 times
My R6, SV650 and car for that matter are all paid for. I never go into debt for toys and at $60k/yr I consider myself an average middle class person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles