Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 10:38 AM

5,787 posts, read 4,694,295 times

Advertisements

The motorcycle death rate has gone up recently because there are more motorcycles on the roads. More novice bikers and scooter riders because it's a transportation alternative to rising gasoline prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 02:00 AM

1,070 posts, read 2,931,474 times
I will say this: I'm fully in favor of a graduated license system, restricting either horsepower or cc's. Many other countries do this. Novices buying 600cc sportbikes is unheard of in most other countries. Granted, if you made laws like that, pretty soon every teenager would be forced to drive base model kias... Still, though, power/cc limits for the first year or so of riding would give people interested in motorcycles more time to learn the basics before they stradle a large sportbike.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:50 AM

9,327 posts, read 21,942,269 times
I think the government should ban everything that can kill us. In our best interest.

No cars, bikes, motorcycles, heck.. it should even ban sex Im sure people die while enjoying a poke here and then.

OK enough sarcasm.

I can say that as someone who now drives on 2 wheels (in addition to my Saab), you are more in touch with the road and you actually have the best view of one of the biggest hazards on the road: peop;le on 4 wheels. Just last night this bozo pulls in the lane behind me too close as the bozo in front of me makes an illegal turn off the highway without brake lights or a signal. So my choice was to get hit from the front or the rear or hope for a miracle... I got the miracle.

yes being on 2 wheels has its issue, but if one takes MSF safety courses you learn techniques to help you manage the risks (safety zones, lane positioning, etc.) and the courses have helped tremendously. Generally if a person is careful on the road with a car, they will be careful on a bike.

Last edited by minibrings; 08-05-2012 at 08:00 AM..

Old 08-09-2012, 12:10 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,808,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
some cities like nyc or where ever their are potholes don't even have safe enough streets for them to even ride on.
I'm guessing you don't know what a steering damper is.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:47 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,660,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
I think the government should ban everything that can kill us. In our best interest.

No cars, bikes, motorcycles, heck.. it should even ban sex Im sure people die while enjoying a poke here and then.
In that case im moving to China.

Why ban motorcycles? it's a silly idea. The government already tried banning something Americans enjoyed, that was deemed "bad," that didn't last too long. What was that you ask? Alcohol.

Old 08-19-2012, 04:06 PM

46,757 posts, read 25,693,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab591 View Post
I will say this: I'm fully in favor of a graduated license system, restricting either horsepower or cc's. Many other countries do this. Novices buying 600cc sportbikes is unheard of in most other countries. Granted, if you made laws like that, pretty soon every teenager would be forced to drive base model kias... Still, though, power/cc limits for the first year or so of riding would give people interested in motorcycles more time to learn the basics before they stradle a large sportbike.
I could not possibly agree more. A novice on a liter-class sportsbike isn't freely deciding to take a calculated risk based on sound judgment - he literally does not know what he's getting into. How could he? And it's not just his own neck he's risking - there are other people out there, who do not deserve to be hit by a 500-pound missile.

Besides, starting out on a bike that's to big for you tends to make you a lousy rider.

Old 09-09-2012, 12:07 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,621,784 times
I agree with the graduated system as well, however, I dobut we will ever see it in the U S. Motorcycles are viewed more as recreational rather than primary forms of transpotation here (tho this is slowly changing). I like the graduated system because not only would it save kids from their first mistake on a 1000cc sportbike but it would also probably cut down on the number of drunk bar hopping status seeking individuals who's behavior gets them killed.something makes me think having to work ones way up the ladder might encourage them to find other recreation...exactly why I don't think we will ever see a graduated system here...it would hurt business in a country that is all about big business.

Old 09-09-2012, 03:24 PM

46,757 posts, read 25,693,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
it would also probably cut down on the number of drunk bar hopping status seeking individuals who's behavior gets them killed.something makes me think having to work ones way up the ladder might encourage them to find other recreation
I hadn't even considered that angle, but that's a very good point. If your license is a somewhat cherished possession, you're less likely to risk it. Where I grew up, even a basic license is a non-trivial investment of money and effort. We were petrified at the thought of losing it, particularly to something as stupid and preventable as drunk driving/riding.

Old 09-09-2012, 03:36 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,343,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
i always hear america is more strict on vehicle safety then other places around the world. So with that being said why are motorcycles legal if the death rate on them are skyrocket high as compared to people on 4 wheels?

some cities like nyc or where ever their are potholes don't even have safe enough streets for them to even ride on.
That's a legitimate question, but has much broader application than just motorcycles. For instance, driving a Chevy Aveo is more risky than driving a truck. So if motorcycles were made illegal, should small cars be made illegal as well? And what about bicycles? Where do you stop? The possibilities are endless.

I've been a motorcycle rider for over 30 years. I'm still alive partly because I'm not a stupid motorcycle rider. I don't race, pop wheelies, or weave traffic. On the other hand, a lot of motorcycle accidents are caused by car & truck drivers who simply aren't paying attention, and pull out in front of cyclists.

The bottom line is that riding a motorcycle is an assumed and accepted risk. But the fact is, just about everything in life is a risk. I don't anticipate motorcycle-riding being made illegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles