Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 09:14 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,699,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
Even pro-helmet guys like me have to admit that wearing a helmet is no real guarantee of anything. I wear one, because I feel safer wearing one. However, statistics are pretty marginal on the issue.

Motorcycle Helmet Laws Save Lives, but Not Very Many - Hit & Run : Reason.com
exactly. I like wearing full face helmets because I don't like insects or rocks smacking me in the face. I have seen a couple pictures, not public available pictures, of riders with full gear and helmet, with their head cut off because they landed just right on the guard rail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 02:19 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,866,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
So I just read that our state does not require Helmets for people over the age of 17. In fact, we aren't alone in a lot of states, Helmet laws have been pushed back.

So I'm listening to freak-economics. . . Motorcycles rate per death clocks in higher than most events, except for Swimming.

Some of the fun facts
- for all events, Booze is a significant factor (ups your rate)
- Skydiving is among the safest summer events (and no one ever drinks and sky dives)

Yet the crazy thing is that 40% of Motorcyclist death could be prevented if a person was wearing a helmet (. Seat Belts cut your risk of death by 45% (dept of transportation). These things are neck-in-neck. Same level (almost) of prevention.

The CDC notes that Helmet laws are a economic benefit (like seat belt laws) . . .potential cost savings 1.4Billion in 2010 (nation wide)

One final reasoning point . . is as a libertarian I don't like government interference, but at the same time I do respect the governments ownership. I.e. Roads are owned by the US and State governments. You must have a license to drive on this road. You must meet certain safety conditions for your car, being, etc.

No one is advocating that as a free individual you must wear a helmet on non-government owned roads, just saying that if you want to use the US Government roads its a fair rule to have.
If helmets were required for ALL the occupants of cars and trucks the risk of death in those vehicles could be reduced another 40% or more. That would save more lives than mandatory motorcycle helmets.

GL2

Old 08-30-2012, 10:05 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,371,139 times
Tragic day near where my daughter & her husband live.

Just goes to show you that you can be wearing a helmet, and all appropriate riding gear, and still die.

Sad indeed.

Woman killed in morning motorcycle crash | Local News - KETV Home

Old 08-31-2012, 11:34 AM

1,977 posts, read 7,755,928 times
The only reason we have seatbelt laws is that the special interest ins co groups pushed for it to lower the amounts they have to pay out in medical coverage when someone is hurt. Yes it DOES help save the person wearing one but it in no way affects anyone else on the road as to whether they are wearing a belt or helmet.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:54 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,671,817 times
I always gear up...for me its just part of the ride, however, I don't openly condem those who. choose to do otherwise. The only life they are risking is their own.

Old 09-15-2012, 11:55 PM

1 posts, read 751 times
People that have wrecks with no helmets on usually die. But if they don't they drive up the insurance rates of everyone else, WHICH AINT TO COOL!
[MOD CUT]

Last edited by Sage of Sagle; 09-16-2012 at 03:43 PM.. Reason: link not allowed

Old 09-16-2012, 07:12 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
I didn't read more than a few posts, so this may have been covered. My opinion is that wearing a helmet is a personal choice, as is a seat belt. It is not the government's job to legislate common sense or what might be good for the public based on insurance rates. If this were the case cigarettes would be outlawed. They are deadly when used as intended, and add $billions to healthcare costs and lost work. That hasn't happened, so to me that nullifies any and all discussions about the government legislating based on public safety and economy.

Yes, there are many who will say it's stupid to not wear a helmet or seat belt. That may be true. But it isn't the job of the government to tell adults what they can and cannot do to themselves, when those actions do not directly affect anyone else. That's what this thread is about.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:26 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
If helmets were required for ALL the occupants of cars and trucks the risk of death in those vehicles could be reduced another 40% or more. That would save more lives than mandatory motorcycle helmets.

GL2

Good point. I never see proponents of mandatory motorcycle helemt laws wearing helmets when they drive their cars.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:32 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
I also remember seeing statistics showing driving faster than 55mph was certain death. But, alas, I can now legally and safely drive up to 85mph on the very same roads where anything faster than 55 used to be dangerous. So much for statistics....

Old 09-17-2012, 05:23 PM

24,468 posts, read 26,003,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Good point. I never see proponents of mandatory motorcycle helemt laws wearing helmets when they drive their cars.
But are there not mandatory seat belt laws?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles