Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 08:07 AM

1,297 posts, read 4,770,145 times

Advertisements

Thinking about getting a side by side 4x4, anyone know anything to look for. I am leaning towards Polaris 500 to 800.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 12:18 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,473,840 times
The biggest thing to know is that there are only two Polaris Razr side-by-side models (the ones that you mention) that are narrow-width enough to be legal to use on BLM and Forest Service ATV-only trails. All other side-by-side ATV's are ILLEGAL to use on Federal Public Lands ATV-only trails. That little fact is omitted from all of the sales pitches and advertising for all the others.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:19 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
The biggest thing to know is that there are only two Polaris Razr side-by-side models (the ones that you mention) that are narrow-width enough to be legal to use on BLM and Forest Service ATV-only trails. All other side-by-side ATV's are ILLEGAL to use on Federal Public Lands ATV-only trails. That little fact is omitted from all of the sales pitches and advertising for all the others.
Very true, and it's disapponting that no one else is bothering to compete with Polaris in that market. Not all RZRs are legal either...only the 50" versions of both the 570 and 800 are (there is no 500). The 800S is wider, with a better, longer travel suspension. And the 900XP isn't even close, at some 66 inches or so wide...but with a great motor and long travel suspension.

OP, how do you plan on using one? We can give some better advice. Will you be on trails restricted to 50"? If so, the narrow RZRs make sense, or if you need to fit in the back of a pickup. If not, you have many more options. Do you want something to ride and get into tough terrain, or are you more focused on working around the ranch? Like to go fast, or just putt along and enjoy the scenery. Plenty of machines out there for every use. We've had a lot of fun with the 50" RZR LE. In Nebraska, I don't imagine that you are on a lot of forest service trails.

If you can, hold off a few months. Rumor has it that Polaris will have something new out in the RZR family around the first of the year. Which I didn't know when I bought mine a couple months ago.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:24 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
Really depends on what you are going to use it for. Right now, Can-Am makes a real nice machine.

I think you had better check your laws closely. In Wyoming, a side by side cannot be ridden on 4 wheeler only trails, only trails that normal cars/pickups/jeeps can drive on. The law states:

50" or less in width
900 lbs or less
Must sit astride
Tires rated at 10 PSI or less

There are no side by sides that meet that criteria. So in Wyoming, it's open to which one you would want. Rzr is probably the best machine out there if you are going to ride hard and fast, but not necessarily the best machine if you are going to work it.

So give us a hint, what do you hope to do with it?

Old 10-18-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Very true, and it's disapponting that no one else is bothering to compete with Polaris in that market. Not all RZRs are legal either...only the 50" versions of both the 570 and 800 are (there is no 500). The 800S is wider, with a better, longer travel suspension. And the 900XP isn't even close, at some 66 inches or so wide...but with a great motor and long travel suspension.

OP, how do you plan on using one? We can give some better advice. Will you be on trails restricted to 50"? If so, the narrow RZRs make sense, or if you need to fit in the back of a pickup. If not, you have many more options. Do you want something to ride and get into tough terrain, or are you more focused on working around the ranch? Like to go fast, or just putt along and enjoy the scenery. Plenty of machines out there for every use. We've had a lot of fun with the 50" RZR LE. In Nebraska, I don't imagine that you are on a lot of forest service trails.

If you can, hold off a few months. Rumor has it that Polaris will have something new out in the RZR family around the first of the year. Which I didn't know when I bought mine a couple months ago.
I will be using mostly for fun. We have access to over 3000 acre ranch and another 600 acres in another place. Both less than 25 miles away. I will using as snow plow and some grading for redoing my yards.

I am disabled and 6'4" and losing weight after my weight loss surgery. I also need plenty of leg room for bad left hip and a tilt steering wheel. I am looking at used ones no more than 3 yrs old and low miles, but a new one is only about 2500.00 more. I will be waiting till next spring also.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:11 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,866,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg Mann View Post
I will be using mostly for fun. We have access to over 3000 acre ranch and another 600 acres in another place. Both less than 25 miles away. I will using as snow plow and some grading for redoing my yards.

I am disabled and 6'4" and losing weight after my weight loss surgery. I also need plenty of leg room for bad left hip and a tilt steering wheel. I am looking at used ones no more than 3 yrs old and low miles, but a new one is only about 2500.00 more. I will be waiting till next spring also.

Hey Big Mann,
I'm glad to hear you are losing the weight.
I was just wondering if you know if the Unicameral passed the legislation in the last session that would allow for four wheel utility vehicles like the Razr, Mule etc to be operated on streets and some of the highways in Nebraska? I had considered swapping my two wheels for a Kawasaki Mule if they were allowed on the street but after that deal fell through I quit following the legislation.

I'm still stuck in Lincoln. I still want to move to Red Willow or Dundy County but family obligations have delayed the move.

GL2

GL2

Old 10-18-2012, 10:46 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Hey Big Mann,
I was just wondering if you know if the Unicameral passed the legislation in the last session that would allow for four wheel utility vehicles like the Razr, Mule etc to be operated on streets and some of the highways in Nebraska? I had considered swapping my two wheels for a Kawasaki Mule if they were allowed on the street but after that deal fell through I quit following the legislation.

I'm still stuck in Lincoln. I still want to move to Red Willow or Dundy County but family obligations have delayed the move.

GL2

GL2
That would be great. We already are legal in Wyoming, South Dakota and Montana. I have my regular 4 wheeler licensed and use it for my primary transportation all summer (and I live 20 miles from town) and I plow snow with it all winter. I even put standard 14 inch steel belted radials on it for summer running.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Hey Big Mann,

GL2

GL2
That would be great if they became street legal. In Michigan snowmobile are legal on the streets, and first time I saw them it looked weird seeing a parking lot at a local business there full of snowmobiles.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:34 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg Mann View Post

I'd recommend that you go to the various dealers and try getting in and out of some different machines. The RZR cockpit is a bit cramped, and with the high "rocker panels", it's a bit of a contortion to get in and out of. You also sit pretty low in it. Something like the Yamaha Rino or other more upright, utility oriented ones might be a better choice. The seating position is much more upright and the stepover is lower. Kinda like getting into a golf cart vs a sports car. The downside is that they drive/feel more like golf carts than sports cars...the RZR is fun!

All the manufacturers make more "utility" type machines. I like the Can-Am Commander (though it's too wide for trails in my area), it's a sporty, utility machine. Might be worth a look, though I can't remember if getting in/out was a challenge. I'm not sure it has the reliability of the Yamaha. Personally, I'd stay away from the Polaris machines, unless you need the 50" capability or sportyness of the RZR. IMO others have better 4x4 systems. Another thing to consider...who is the best dealership in your area? You might want to talk to a local ATV club if there is one, they can give insight as to local dealers and what machines would work best for your conditions.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I'd recommend that you go to the various dealers and try getting in and out of some different machines. The RZR cockpit is a bit cramped, and with the high "rocker panels", it's a bit of a contortion to get in and out of. You also sit pretty low in it. Something like the Yamaha Rino or other more upright, utility oriented ones might be a better choice. The seating position is much more upright and the stepover is lower. Kinda like getting into a golf cart vs a sports car. The downside is that they drive/feel more like golf carts than sports cars...the RZR is fun!

All the manufacturers make more "utility" type machines. I like the Can-Am Commander (though it's too wide for trails in my area), it's a sporty, utility machine. Might be worth a look, though I can't remember if getting in/out was a challenge. I'm not sure it has the reliability of the Yamaha. Personally, I'd stay away from the Polaris machines, unless you need the 50" capability or sportyness of the RZR. IMO others have better 4x4 systems. Another thing to consider...who is the best dealership in your area? You might want to talk to a local ATV club if there is one, they can give insight as to local dealers and what machines would work best for your conditions.
I looked at the Can Am Commander 800 and I am impressed. It has adjustable and removeable seats and tilt steering wheel. It has more standard options than Polaris 800 and price is same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles