Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 03:37 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,017,258 times

Advertisements

[quote=A. Victor;27057581]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadd1014 View Post

That's a fast Harley Davidson!

A 10 second vehicle (Car or Bike) is nothing to scoff at. Looking at MCNews' test data, that Harley is several seconds quicker than a stock Harley Davidson would have been through the 1/4 mile not to mention 16 mph faster.

The fastest HD according to MCNews was the VRSC which would run an 11.38 @ 119 mph.

A Dyna Wideglide would put down a 13.21 @ 96 mph.

A Honda 600 of 2006 vintage would run an 11.26 @ 121 mph.

and a Honda 1000 of the same age is listed running 10.28 @ 140 mph.

Keep in mind that all these times were using professional riders, likely above what the average rider will perform...or even the occasional "Above average" rider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 04:35 PM

1,684 posts, read 1,185,342 times
[quote=flynavyj;27064978]
Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Victor View Post

That's a fast Harley Davidson!

A 10 second vehicle (Car or Bike) is nothing to scoff at. Looking at MCNews' test data, that Harley is several seconds quicker than a stock Harley Davidson would have been through the 1/4 mile not to mention 16 mph faster.

The fastest HD according to MCNews was the VRSC which would run an 11.38 @ 119 mph.

A Dyna Wideglide would put down a 13.21 @ 96 mph.

A Honda 600 of 2006 vintage would run an 11.26 @ 121 mph.

and a Honda 1000 of the same age is listed running 10.28 @ 140 mph.

Keep in mind that all these times were using professional riders, likely above what the average rider will perform...or even the occasional "Above average" rider.
What about the Screamin' Eagle Stage I kit and Screamin' Eagle II pipes? How about Screamin Eagle fat plug wires and spark plugs......

She's not stock anymore....not even close.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:30 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,017,258 times
What's always interesting of course is that horsepower increases from any of the said mods really aren't significant, but with motorcycles it doesn't take a lot of extra horsepower to improve performance numbers.

Lets take the #'s shown in the article I was referencing. The Dyna Wide Glide produced 59.5 Wheel Horsepower and 70 Lbs of Torque, RPM's weren't listed. This is a 6 speed, 2005 model, but it doesn't list engine displacement.

A Honda CBR600 F4i from 06 is listed as having 90.1 WHP and 40.3 lbs of torque.

The CBR1000RR creates 142.6 Horsepower and 73.3 Lbs of Torque.

Based on all of these figures, the CBR1k creates more than twice the wheel horsepower of the Harley, and provides a couple extra pounds of torque, all while being contained in a lighter package. Stock for stock, it shouldn't be a contest, and as the numbers showed, isn't one.

Modified becomes a whole other argument, with endless results, modded vs modded, modded vs stock, extremely modified vs mildly modified, etc...it's endless, and useless.

Also, I've seen numerous Jet Kits and exhaust combos that barely gave a horsepower in a modern motorcycle, some that actually lost power and torque over stock configurations. More often than not, the owner is wanting a specific exhaust note, and a jet kit is necessary to keep the mixture from getting lean, and you're not looking at significant performance gains, considering the exhaust and intake isn't overly restrictive anyway...except some HD products that drastically limit the airbox size. Maybe I'll look for Dyno numbers of wide glides with kits vs stock, and report back.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
What's always interesting of course is that horsepower increases from any of the said mods really aren't significant, but with motorcycles it doesn't take a lot of extra horsepower to improve performance numbers.

Lets take the #'s shown in the article I was referencing. The Dyna Wide Glide produced 59.5 Wheel Horsepower and 70 Lbs of Torque, RPM's weren't listed. This is a 6 speed, 2005 model, but it doesn't list engine displacement.

A Honda CBR600 F4i from 06 is listed as having 90.1 WHP and 40.3 lbs of torque.

The CBR1000RR creates 142.6 Horsepower and 73.3 Lbs of Torque.

Based on all of these figures, the CBR1k creates more than twice the wheel horsepower of the Harley, and provides a couple extra pounds of torque, all while being contained in a lighter package. Stock for stock, it shouldn't be a contest, and as the numbers showed, isn't one.

Modified becomes a whole other argument, with endless results, modded vs modded, modded vs stock, extremely modified vs mildly modified, etc...it's endless, and useless.

Also, I've seen numerous Jet Kits and exhaust combos that barely gave a horsepower in a modern motorcycle, some that actually lost power and torque over stock configurations. More often than not, the owner is wanting a specific exhaust note, and a jet kit is necessary to keep the mixture from getting lean, and you're not looking at significant performance gains, considering the exhaust and intake isn't overly restrictive anyway...except some HD products that drastically limit the airbox size. Maybe I'll look for Dyno numbers of wide glides with kits vs stock, and report back.
2005 WAS CARB.....Mine was EFI. Those Screamin' Eagle II pipes were supposed to be for off-road use only. They tuned around them after we put them on for the STREET! Shhhhhhh

Old 11-25-2012, 05:51 PM

Found this old 35mm and scanned it. Don't laugh, I can barely work this new scanner..

Old 11-25-2012, 05:54 PM

Even added a tach because this bike would scare old ladies.....

Old 11-25-2012, 06:00 PM

You'll also see an oil cooler......can't make more power if she is running hot and over heating due to the mods.

Forward controls and a roller bearing upgrade shift linkage bar. Those bushing jobs are gritty. This gave me car Hurst like feel......faster/smoother shifts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles