Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 04:43 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times

Advertisements

You dont want to do a cross America tour on a 125cc, too small,to slow,too noisy,I'd look for something a bit bigger, used KLR's can be had for a very reasonable price//

Plenty of bikes for sale on the Chicago Craigslist.
http://chicago.craigslist.org/mca/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 08:32 AM

1,534 posts, read 4,261,303 times
I strongly 2nd jambo101's opinion, a 125 just isn't a practical or safe ride in the US for touring. You'll get run over, end up pushing it up some hills, etc. and thats before you add any gear.

Just my opinion if your staying with scooters: the minimum available scooter I'd suggest would be a 250. I've ridden and owned almost the whole range of US available scooters (50, 80, 125, 250, 400, 500 and 600cc). Currently my main ride is a Silverwing ABS 600cc and thats what I'd personally use for touring.

The Yamaha TMax (500cc) is an alternative but lacks an ABS version in the US, which is why I sold mine. Its actually one of the most fun to ride scooters and perfectly acceptable for touring if you skip the ABS issue. I wouldn't remotely consider anything below a 250, even thats barely adequate for US roads.

The optimum 250 I'd suggest would be my previously beloved 2007 Honda Reflex w/ABS. It would get the job done and is a sweet ride but lacks power for comfortable slab riding, major hills and/or emergency maneuvers.

Models w/ABS are hard to find but worth tracking down. I bought mine from a dealer in pristine condition with 3K miles on it in 2010, put some miles on it and sold it privately for $2,600 a year and a half later.

My best minimum suggestion for major touring would be a used (2009 or later model year) Suzuki Burgman 400, preferably one w/ABS. (Can't remember which year they started with ABS, I think it was '11.) I'm a big fan of ABS and don't ride without it.

The Burgman 400 will do anything you'll need power and gear carrying-wise and is a very high quality, reliable and fun to ride scooter.

Too small a ride will easily get you killed, especially on mixed roads you'll encounter on a major US tour - JMO.

Last edited by Pilgrim21784; 10-22-2012 at 08:43 AM..

Old 10-22-2012, 10:09 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times
Different countries, different user needs/wants, different markets. What's available (and utilitarian) in an Asian market isn't even Desired in a US market, much less utilitarian.

To SAFELY navigate US highways (not interstates, just highways) you need a minimum of 20hp at sea level. Less than that and you'll not be able to maintain enough speed to keep the clueless and inattentive from driving right over you. I'm FAR from a proponent for the need for high HP vehicles, but there is a very real need to be able to maintain a given speed for safety. When there's a difference in speed, that's where you have danger (the clueless and inattentive aren't going to see a vehicle smaller than a car, and at even 5mph difference, they WILL run over you before thinking to look up at the road again). Keep in mind that the speed's for a single-carriageway (2-lane highway) in the US is 10km faster than the FASTEST speed limit in any asian country I could find. And Most of those asian countries limit motorcycles to 80kmh (vs the 120~130kmh found in the US).

The 125's you're referring to are peaking at ~15hp, a full quarter below what would been needed for Safety on a 55 or 65mph highway. They Might be able to do it, but you would be running in the 90% capability of the bike the entire time, leaving zero room for error. That just doesn't sound enjoyable to me.

Personally, I use a Ninja 250 for my "daily" bike. I'd touring on it, but all my touring involves going 2-up and it's just not Physically large enough for my wife and I (mostly me, I'm 6'4" and 240lbs). Lots of people say that even this bike is too small to do any kind of touring in safety or comfort, though I don't agree. It has ~30hp... double what you're wanting.

Last thing to consider, there are places in the west where you'll go 80~100 miles (~160km) between towns/fuel stations/civilization. Places where there's zero cell service, heck there's zero Radio service (AM or FM). So having a vehicle with range is something to keep in mind as well.

It all boils down to needing a US market vehicle for use in the US. There are LOTS to chose from, but they're going to be different than the 125 scooters you're looking for. Nothing will be under $2000 as new, but with the very healthy used market you can find something for any budget. I've even acquired legal and running bikes for free (not very often, and with a LOT of looking).

Old 10-22-2012, 05:38 PM

316 posts, read 660,773 times
I can agree that for highway driving a 125cc or even a 150cc is not enough power. Even in Asia bikes for the hi-way must be 400cc minimum by law. We never drive on the hi-way but to the Mall and banks and nearby areas, most time speed is only 30-45km.
The 2007 Honda Reflex even though is rated at 250cc, still has the small moped tires instead of 16" wheels that even a 115cc bike has!
But this bike would be better suited for the wife especially since is is only 4'11"!

Brian_M; The Ninja 250 is exactly what I could use for getting around during the summer moths and the
Larger wheel base and the larger gas tank is a must in a more rural type area, Thanks!

The thing I like about the Asia bikes pictured above is both of us could ride the bike, the wife's feet could touch the ground and they aren't moped's with small tires that I don't like.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:26 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times
If you like the Ninja 250, then take a look at these other options:

Suzuki Cycles - Product Lines - Cycles - Products - TU250X - 2013 - TU250X

2013 CBR250R Overview - Honda Powersports

2013 Star Motorcycles V Star 250 Home, information

Hyosung Motors America - Ridden by the world

And this is Supposed to be coming in 2013 (as a 300 for the US market):

KTM 200 Duke - Highlights

And since you're stuck on the 16" rims, you CAN find scooters with them in the US, it just takes a little looking.

KYMCO People GT 200i Overview - KYMCO USA (this one also comes in 300cc)

2010 SH150i Overview - Honda Powersports

etc...

Old 10-23-2012, 04:46 AM

316 posts, read 660,773 times
Thanks for the links.
Funny thing is the SH150i By Honda is for $4500, which the same kind of bike can be had for $2500 in Asia by the same company, just a different model/design for asia!

Old 11-07-2012, 11:05 AM

396 posts, read 923,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
where are you seeing $6000 mopeds? thats quite high for a moped; the aprilia scarabeo 500 cc scooter retails for 6,399 and yo0u can get it for less than 6k.. far from a moped
First of all, scooters are not mopeds. Yes, there are scooters with 150 cc which cost $5000. But they are high end, best quality, metal not plastic- Vespa. 300cc Vespa will cost you 7-8 grands with all fees and taxes.
In Europe, in city traffic 125cc is enough, it's about maneuverability and acceleration, not max speed. In the US we need more power. I have antique 125 which is light small and fast (Vespa Primavera 125) and Vespa PX 150 which can go 50-55 easy. Both are 4 speed manual. Modern scoots are twist and go except Vespa PX which has been in production since 1978 (not available in the US now) and older modification of Vespa PX made in India and sold in the US as Genuine Stella and LML Star in Europe.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:23 PM

255 posts, read 464,178 times
Just for curiosity, it would be interesting to know the weight of all these people saying a 125 isn’t enough.

Asians and Europeans aren’t nearly as heavy as us lard-butt Americans (including this one) where “overweight” is considered slim and “obese” is the norm.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:30 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,462,326 times
125 is on the small side for freeway riding, but 250 is adequate for most applications -- as more and more Americans are discovering, but they're still a tiny minority.

In the U.S., when it comes to motorcycles, size is everything. I ride a 650 (Suzuki V-Strom) which is on the small side compared to the general motorcycle population here -- I'd guess that a majority of 'real' motorcycles, as opposed to scooters, are at least 1000cc. But take that same bike to Asia or Latin America, and it's a giant.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:41 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,276,691 times
Yah, a lot of it is relative. I visited Okinawa a few years ago, and the people we stayed with had an early 2000s Honda Civic Coupe. It was the biggest car on the road everywhere we went.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles