Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 12:36 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,203,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutnfancy View Post
Define loud?
THE POLICE say above 60 decibels . How many harley riders limit the noise to 60 decibels? lol Their women can fart louder than 60 decibels I would guess,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 08:02 PM

1 posts, read 710 times
Default It's not the bik's fault and it's not all Harely riders but...

I have no issue with Harley riders other than this one (modifying their exhausts to make as much noise as possible). I don't understand why such a successful, tight-knit community needs to rely on such an immature trick to get attention. if they cared as much about their communities as they say at their rallies, they would work on fixing this issue.

I wish Police would enforce the existing noise laws and ticket these riders on the spot. The fines alone would pay for their salaries.
Attached Thumbnails
Motorcycle noise getting out of control.-harleysimageproblem.png  

Old 09-23-2013, 07:46 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,042,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deaffromharleys View Post
I have no issue with Harley riders other than this one (modifying their exhausts to make as much noise as possible). I don't understand why such a successful, tight-knit community needs to rely on such an immature trick to get attention. if they cared as much about their communities as they say at their rallies, they would work on fixing this issue.

I wish Police would enforce the existing noise laws and ticket these riders on the spot. The fines alone would pay for their salaries.
How do you know how big their penises are?

Old 09-24-2013, 04:20 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,415,966 times
Some people like to sit on their back porch sipping on lemonaide and enjoying the sounds of birds while having quiet conversation with their neighbors while others like to be riding their motorcycles while listening to the sound of a well tuned engine. If you can't hear the engine, all you can hear is the wind in your ears. There's no fun in that. My Python add-ons are so loud even I have to wear ear plugs.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:50 PM

18,455 posts, read 7,086,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
No. I just hate loud exhausts on any vehicle, period.
Unless it came stock out of the factory that way and there isn't a lick you could do about it, then one shouldn't fix what isn't broken.
Shooters are being pushed further out into the sticks every day since many people are easily frightened by the noise of gunfire.
Yet vehicles that could be heard 2 miles down the street aren't given a second thought by authorities, letting the operators continually ride around with this tough-guy attitude.

Ahhhh, but see what many people, especially non riders, don't understand is what comes from the factory IS BROKEN.

The problem is that lean fuel mixtures, Ethanol, catalytic converters and air cooled engines really don't work and play nice with each other.

Emissions and noise regulations have been tightened up to the point where the legally mandated stock exhaust/intake/fuel mixture is actually choking off the engines, keeping them from performing the way they are meant to perform.

All this makes the bikes run hotter and have less power.

Changing the pipes, intake and fuel mixture is called a stage 1 or in Harley vernacular, paying the "Harley tax" because it's generally considered the minimum necessary upgrade to make the bike run right and not fry the rider's thighs at a stoplight.

Now....having said that there are different levels of loud pipes and only attention seeking morons run straight pipes (no mufflers) as these don't help the power situation any (unless you're at wide open as on a drag strip)

Most people run less restrictive a slip on mufflers rather than changing the entire exhaust and some of these are completely legal (at least in some states).
These can run from not much louder than stock to almost as obnoxious as straight pipes, it depends on how much "stuffing" or baffles they have in them and most of these aren't really that loud until you get on it, so you can ride fairly quietly through a residential area and keep the peace if you so choose.

I have legal "Screaming Eagle" slip on mufflers on mine, and the pipes sound ok to me most of the time, unless I'm riding with friends who have changed out to louder exhausts....then I can barely hear my bike.

I think if the Govt. eased up on the emissions/sound level restrictions just a bit it might reduce the number of loud bikes on the road because more people would leave their bikes stock....

Even though there will always be morons who love to run really loud pipes.....nobody likes HAVING to pay the Harley tax.

Last edited by FatBob96; 09-24-2013 at 07:01 PM..

Old 01-05-2014, 08:01 PM

41 posts, read 51,750 times
If loud pipes save lives, imagine what actually learning how to ride would do.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:03 PM

41 posts, read 51,750 times
Season 13, episode 12 of South Park pretty much explains it:

The F Word (Season 13, Episode 12) - Full Episode Player - South Park Studios
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles