Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 01:26 PM

1,684 posts, read 1,185,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
From some of the comments made by the OP, one would suspect that he is not a rider. He is just mad at those of us that do ride, perhaps because he has almost/has had an incident that he could have avoided by paying attention.

Bike riders have to pay more attention or they get hit by car drivers who pay more attention to talking on the phone or texting, in other words dangerous drivers.
Yeah....let me tell you this....the 10 or 15 seconds passing you and you not liking my exhaust is WORTH a hell of a lot more than my life you will try to take CUZ you are 'in your own little world' and yacking/texting....whatever the hell you do when you have your head up your azz.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 01:36 PM

1,684 posts, read 1,185,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
I've been riding motorcycles for well over 30 years, so I'll go ahead and chime in here...

Point #1: You claim you can hear somebody's motorcycle from 300+ yards away, and it's louder than if somebody shooting a gun? And that's with the motorcycle idling? I'm calling bullcrap. Pure BS! Motorcycles are loud when they are ACCELERATING, not when they're idling.

Point #2: It really is not smart to threaten a whole segment of the population, simply because you're mad at one motorcycle rider. In fact, it's really dumb. Where I live, the worst noise comes from idiots with boomer stereos. In fact, some of them literally rattle the windows in my house. So should I threaten all black people, because some of them have these extremely loud stereos?

Point #3: Unless you own hundreds of acres of land, out in the middle of nowhere, you're going to have to share your "area" with other people. You undoubtedly do some things that **** off your neighbors. Should they be threatening you?

Have a drink. Lighten up. Live & let live.
I agree....people who complain need to GET A LIFE!

Ricky Carmichael Retirement Tribute - YouTube

Old 11-21-2012, 02:43 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,369,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
nice try, but they do and for the farm equipment osha does set occupational noise limits.
when you use your bike on the public roads
"such" noise ordinances apply/
When you use your bike on your own yard the noise limit is again limited by the state, city, but motor vehicles are regulated regarding noise by the feds..
Nice try, but I lived in rural Minnesota for MANY years. NO farmer gets ticketed for violating a noise ordinance, because he's out combining corn at 3:00 AM. NO motorcycle rider gets ticketed for violating a noise ordinance, because he's riding his Harley north of Bemidji on 71 at 11:00 PM. And YOU don't get ticketed for violating noise ordinance, because you're plowing snow at 2:00 AM.

What's REALLY going on here is that the OP just has a cob up his/her butt about motorcycles. It may be a well deserved and well placed cob, but it's a cob none the less.

What the OP fails to admit is that motorcycles are no louder than the farmer's 400 hp tractor, pulling a 42' disc through the bean field. In fact, motorcycles are nowhere near as loud.

Motorcycles are no louder than the little dick who drops all the suspension out from under his Prelude, and sticks a Folgers Can under the back bumper, and is constantly running it at 6,000-7,000 rpm.

Motorcycles are nowhere near as loud as the Donk Punks who roll through city streets with stereos so loud that they literally rattle the windows in every house.

Motorcycles are nowhere near as loud as semi-tractor/trailer rigs going down the highway.

And motorcycles are no louder than the overcompensator, who removes the stock exhaust from his Duramax/Cummins/Powerstroke, and replaces it with 4" Flowmasters.

The problem is that certain people have "issues" with certain kinds of other people.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Victor View Post
Yeah....let me tell you this....the 10 or 15 seconds passing you and you not liking my exhaust is WORTH a hell of a lot more than my life you will try to take CUZ you are 'in your own little world' and yacking/texting....whatever the hell you do when you have your head up your azz.
I cannot even begin to tell you how many close calls I've had, on the motorcycle, because some stupid broad was texting or yakking while driving, and paying NO attention to ANYTHING.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:02 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,547,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Victor View Post
So you are gonna use a muffler commercial as proof?

Old 11-21-2012, 03:35 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,169,496 times
Swing and a miss.
The land is zoned AG.
In most cases folks move close to a farm a farm just doesn't spring up next to a subdivision.
This means a thing called a Grandfather clause"
grandfather clause, a clause in a statute or zoning ordinance which permits the operator of a business or a land owner to be exempt from restrictions on use if the business or property continues to be used as it was when the law was adopted. Upon passage of the statute or regulation, the specific property may be referred to as "grandfathered in." Example: the city passes an ordinance which does not permit retail businesses in a particular zone, but any existing store can continue to function in the area, even with new owners. However, if the premises stop being a retail outlet then the grandfather clause will lapse. 2) among the state constitutional amendments passed by southern states in the late 1800s to keep blacks from voting, "grandfather clauses" denied voter registration to people who were illiterate, who did not own property or could not pass a test on citizenship obligations, unless their grandfathers had served in the Confederate Army. Such laws are now unconstitutional.

Being as that may a noisy bike going by a noisy "farm" on a public street can still be ticketed for noise.

Quote:
Nice try, but I lived in rural Minnesota for MANY years. NO farmer gets ticketed for violating a noise ordinance, because he's out combining corn at 3:00 AM. NO motorcycle rider gets ticketed for violating a noise ordinance, because he's riding his Harley north of Bemidji on 71 at 11:00 PM. And YOU don't get ticketed for violating noise ordinance, because you're plowing snow at 2:00 AM.

That could very well be.
Quote:
What's REALLY going on here is that the OP just has a cob up his/her butt about motorcycles. It may be a well deserved and well placed cob, but it's a cob none the less.

Again the AG crap see above.
Quote:
What the OP fails to admit is that motorcycles are no louder than the farmer's 400 hp tractor, pulling a 42' disc through the bean field. In fact, motorcycles are nowhere near as loud.

I think fart cans are a good way of knowing who the d'bag is.
Quote:
Motorcycles are no louder than the little dick who drops all the suspension out from under his Prelude, and sticks a Folgers Can under the back bumper, and is constantly running it at 6,000-7,000 rpm.
We have a local ordnance that says that your car stereo can't be heard at a distance over 50ft away
Quote:
Motorcycles are nowhere near as loud as the Donk Punks who roll through city streets with stereos so loud that they literally rattle the windows in every house.
A flowmaster on a diesel would really make it quieter than stock.
My stock resonator is only 15".
You just straight pipe them.
And I can still hear the bike over it as it goes by.

Quote:
Motorcycles are nowhere near as loud as semi-tractor/trailer rigs going down the highway.

And motorcycles are no louder than the overcompensator, who removes the stock exhaust from his Duramax/Cummins/Powerstroke, and replaces it with 4" Flowmasters.

The problem is that certain people have "issues" with certain kinds of other people.
Issues. some have a lot of issues.
For some it's more of a time and place thing.

I only ride a dirt bike and it's real quite.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Swing and a miss.
You can stop the "swing and a miss" stuff. I'm an adult.

I called it correctly in my original comment. The OP just has a beef with his/her neighbor, and doesn't like the motorcycle - the motorcycle which is no louder than a LOT of equipment and other vehicles.

Living in a rural area does NOT guarantee 100% peace and quiet.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:33 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,553,504 times
Quote:
Live & let live.
sure, sure.
Your rights stop where mine begin.
That is why we have noise ordinances and laws pertaining to exhaust noise.
Which obviously the OP has not attempted to use or law enforcement found there to be no legal problem.

Just another one who wishes to dictate how others live. And a non rider to boot.

Old 11-22-2012, 07:42 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,169,496 times
You can stop trying to tell me what to do. I'm a adult and not your kid.

If you need to feel like you are correct , then fine, but you are not.
strike 3.

I don't get the, I can do what ever I want attitude?

If you feel so unsafe riding your bike that you have justified breaking the law in your own mind then maybe you need to rethink riding a cycle and get into a cage.

Quote:
You can stop the "swing and a miss" stuff. I'm an adult.

I called it correctly in my original comment. The OP just has a beef with his/her neighbor, and doesn't like the motorcycle - the motorcycle which is no louder than a LOT of equipment and other vehicles.

Living in a rural area does NOT guarantee 100% peace and quiet.

Old 11-22-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
You can stop trying to tell me what to do. I'm a adult and not your kid.

If you need to feel like you are correct , then fine, but you are not.
strike 3.

I don't get the, I can do what ever I want attitude?

If you feel so unsafe riding your bike that you have justified breaking the law in your own mind then maybe you need to rethink riding a cycle and get into a cage.
Thanks for admitting that you're wrong, even though you have to do it in a juvenile way.

1. Where do you get the idea that I'm trying to prove anything on my motorcycle - or that I have loud pipes on it? I've been riding for well over 30 years - something a person doesn't do by being stupid.

2. Provide for me one link - JUST ONE - where any farmer, or noisy snow removal guy, or anybody else was cited for violating a noise ordinance IN THE COUNTRY. Until you can do that, it is YOU - the guy who has outrageously noisy trucks - who has struck out.

Once again, the OP is being a crybaby and making a mountain out of a molehill. A motorcycle, in a heavily wooded rural area, is NOT "louder than a gun" from 300+ yards away. There is no problem here, other than a person who thinks he/she gets to dictate everything that goes on in the country, as if he/she is the President of an HOA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles