Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2012, 02:14 AM

337 posts, read 895,726 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in picking up a pre-owned bike from a dealer. I have all the money and got a good deal worked out. The only problem is I'm waiting on my new CA license since I just moved here (gonna go to the DMV as soon as I get a cable bill or something to verify my residency) The guy at the shop asked for a $100 deposit charge to my credit card to "get it off the internet and off the floor". Now I know for a fact I want it, but giving my credit card # over the phone doesn't really appeal to me since I can't physically get a reciept. I guess I'm asking do you guys thinks it's legit? I have two options... shell out the $100 over the phone or just wait until I get my CA license then go over there and pick it up with no deposit while risking another buyer coming along. The latter I definitely don't want since I can't see another deal as good as this one coming soon but the former seems sketchy. It's not impossible but very very hard to physically get over to the dealership. Any words of wisdom? Dealer is reputable by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 07:26 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,382,982 times
It's not sketchy, you'll have a 90 day "guarantee" from your credit card company. That's assuming you're giving the number to a legitimate business.

If you're really worried about it, make a trip and give the card in person. Means a little gas use, but you'll never notice it in the grand scheme of your life.

Hope you enjoy the bike, don't forget riding gear!

Old 12-15-2012, 08:28 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,146,223 times
Unless I'm mistaken, there's no rule that says you have to have a CA license to buy/register a vehicle in CA. And you don't need proof of residency to get your license. It's just a blank spot on the form. They expect you to do handle registering your out-of-state vehicles and get your license within 10 days of arriving, so get it done sooner than later (or write a date within the last 10 days on the form. That's what the DMV person told me to do to avoid some hefty penalties).

As to the deposit, it's legit, but I'd have them draft something up explaining the terms of it all, mainly just explaining how long that deposit will keep the bike off the market and what happens to it should you not buy the bike.

Mike

Last edited by whiteboyslo; 12-15-2012 at 08:47 AM..

Old 12-15-2012, 08:44 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,146,223 times
OK, I got curious about this so I grabbed one of my CA vehicle titles to check. So, you don't need the CA license to buy it, but you DO need one to register it in CA. There is a blank that asks for your CA license number on the back where you fill in your info. And you have 10 days from the sale date to register it in your name.

But, I stand by my statement that you do not need anything to prove residency to get the license. When I moved (back) to CA, all they gave me was a couple forms to fill out, and one asked when I moved here. At first I put the actual date I got here, but the DMV rep took one look at it and said 'I'm gonna save you a couple hundred bucks and let you pick another date'.

So, if I were you, I'd go get the bike just to not deal with the deposit hassle, then in the next 10 days get over to the DMV with the title. Leave the license spot blank until they give you your new license number (they'll give you a temporary paper one with your new license number on it), then fill it in and hand it all in at once.

Mike

Old 12-15-2012, 09:34 AM

Thanks a lot everyone, that definitely helped. I'm gonna put a deposit down and get an appt to the dmv to get this expidited asap.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:07 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,560,962 times
Use the receipt for purchasing the bike for the DMV. I have never heard of the DMV needing any bill to show residency, they will happily take any address you give them. They do mail your license to that address.
My license has a PO box as residency, I had to get a print out from the DMV to show residency when I recently bought a rifle.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:10 PM

Sealed the deal on it today!

Old 12-22-2012, 03:43 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,382,982 times
Pics or it didn't happen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles