Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 12:30 AM

21,829 posts, read 25,094,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurn Blansten View Post
They teach using the rear brake while in motion. In my opinion, as an expert-licensed road racer, a race official, an instructor, and an motorcycle accident investigator, I would say that more than 90% of all avoidable road-going motorcycle accidents are caused by motorycle operators attempting to use the rear brake while in motion.

Their curriculum is based on motorcycles equipped with 1950's technology- bias ply tires, drum brakes, spring-on-a-stick suspension, spindly forks, flexi-flyer tubular mild steel frames, and so forth. Motorcycles have come a long way in the last 60 years. 17" radial tires, full-floating dual hydraulic disc brakes, aluminum perimeter and chrome-moly trellis frames, and so on.

Today's competent motorcycles are capable of maximum braking using only one or two fingers on the front brake.
Interesting.

I use the rear on my Ninja 250 as it's 1950s tech (sort of). There's not enough brake on the front to lock it up on dry conditions. Part of the reason MSF teaches not to use two fingers is exactly because modern brakes are so sensitive. If you're used to braking with one or two fingers and suddenly panic with four, you'll grab too much. I agree with modern bikes that's basically so what. Most of them are coming with ABS these days, but not everyone rides modern bikes. Neither of my bikes have ABS. One is capable of locking the front up, the other doesn't have enough front brake even on the crap stock tires let alone decent rubber.

I'm aware of what Keith Code's opinion on about rear brakes, and he's right for sport bikes. The rear brake is only of minimal, if any, use. For sport bikes on a track running R compounds, they're completely useless unless you're specifically trying to lock the rear up. I can pick the back end up off my CBR before the front locks up, so the rear brake in a panic stop is just along for the ride. But that's not all that people ride. Go try and pick up the back wheel off the ground on a Harley Electra Glide. Doesn't do 'em. Now, a lot of those big bikes are coming with linked brakes nowadays but by no means all. You are leaving a significant amount of stopping distance on the table by not knowing how to use the rear brake. Easy to say they're just not competent motorcycles, and you're right they aren't, but a lot of people ride cruisers.

Last edited by Malloric; 01-07-2014 at 12:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 01:35 AM

It's actually FA129HH.

I run 'em. Zero feel and very abrupt bite. Not a concern on the 250, not enough brake to lock the front wheel anyway. I'd never use them on the back for that reason. Honda's pads are better than EBC, much more progressive, better feel, last longer, don't squeal like a stuck pig. Only reason to move away from stock pads for the CBR would be fade, and I don't ride hard enough on the street for that to be a concern.

Last edited by Malloric; 01-07-2014 at 01:47 AM..

Old 01-07-2014, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurn blansten View Post
what kind of idiot would use hh pads on the back brake?
ebc

Old 01-07-2014, 04:38 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
Helmet or no helmet is a personal preference if state law gives you the choice,My thinking is if you have an accident at speed would you want a helmet on your head or not? I choose to wear a helmet just in case i have an accident, its also quite comfortable as it protects the face from the constant wind blast and all manner of debris and flying bugs that are usually flying about...

Old 01-07-2014, 05:04 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,414,415 times
Helmets at all times. I know, one saved my life. Fractured eye socket in two places. 40 stiches around left eye. Deep cuts on nose, lip, and one tooth knocked out. Type 3 concussion (google it) with severe whiplash. Two bulging dics in neck. Torn muscles and ligaments in chest. Deep road rash on left arm (still giving me trouble after a year and a half). Broken foot with displaced bone on top of foot. Torn cartlidge in left knee. Had to quit riding after 58 years because of on-going vertigo. I've always heard that "if you don't limp, you ain't sh*t". Well, I do now.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:49 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,758,918 times
Only wear a helmet if you have a head and brain worth protecting.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:08 PM

180 posts, read 377,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
Helmets at all times. I know, one saved my life. Fractured eye socket in two places. 40 stiches around left eye. Deep cuts on nose, lip, and one tooth knocked out. Type 3 concussion (google it) with severe whiplash. Two bulging dics in neck. Torn muscles and ligaments in chest. Deep road rash on left arm (still giving me trouble after a year and a half). Broken foot with displaced bone on top of foot. Torn cartlidge in left knee. Had to quit riding after 58 years because of on-going vertigo. I've always heard that "if you don't limp, you ain't sh*t". Well, I do now.

Damn, what the hell hit you?

Old 01-18-2014, 08:48 PM

6,734 posts, read 4,412,768 times
Its the. look at me, Im cool I dont need a helmet. You just look stupid, not cool. I've gotten off several times. I dont mind going out and buying a new helmet. Wearing the helmet, let me be able to go and do that.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:10 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,605,317 times
I ride a Triumph and wear a helmet.

But...

I'd rather cruise on a Harley with no helmet, but with head to toe leathers, vs. ripping around town doing wheelies on a sport bike with a helmet but wearing a t-shirt, tennis shoes and cargo shorts.

I'd also rather walk into a tavern full of hells angels than walk into a club full of young squids wearing 'tap out' t-shirts.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:56 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,752,379 times
I ride a 650 Burgman scooter. It has the rear brake on the left handlebar. This allows me to have excellent control of the rear brake so I can trail brake into corners or stop really quickly in a straight line without locking either brake. I had no idea of how well hand control of the real actually worked.

Yeah, I always wear a helmet and will start wearing all the rest of the gear this summer. After all stink foot is better than ground off toes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles