Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 05:46 PM

3 posts, read 5,713 times

Advertisements

This past Saturday heading south on U S #1 with my buddy on motorcycles i was pulled by a under cover state trooper. He gave me 107 MPH in a 65 mph zone. He complimented me sevaral times for pulling over right away. A big storm was coming and my or my self have not rode in a storm so we were trying to get home fast. I'm scared because i don't know what going to happen to me. I know i was wrong and stupid but I have beaten up on myself all weekend now i need advise if i can get it. I don't know if I can ride again without being scared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 05:54 PM

838 posts, read 2,518,363 times
You'll be receiving letters from lawyers offering their services very soon. Surprised he didn't put the cuffs on you and take you to jail. If I'm not mistaken, anything 15mph over the speed limit qualifies as a misdemeanor.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:40 PM

11,550 posts, read 53,054,760 times
Depends upon the state laws where you got the ticket.

Some states will have a manditory license suspension for that fast over the limit. Some would have taken you to jail for that excessive speed. Some will just look for revenue enhancement and give you a nice healthy fine.

The bigger concern is what will happen to your driver's license and your insurance rates when the conviction shows up on your record.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:42 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,109,197 times
Better sell it now if you are that scared from one ticket.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:44 PM

3 posts, read 5,713 times
I know I'm going to need a layer a layer do you think I still avoid revoking of license and points. I'm in NC.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:49 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,976,882 times
why don't you just ride the limit then?

from the title of the thread, i thought it was going to be much much worse. i.e. you were scared because you put the bike down hard instead of getting a ticket

maybe try to look at it as, "at least i got a ticket at 107 instead of a deer jumping out in front of me at 107"

Old 08-21-2012, 07:36 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,146,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OdysseusNY View Post
why don't you just ride the limit then?

from the title of the thread, i thought it was going to be much much worse. i.e. you were scared because you put the bike down hard instead of getting a ticket

maybe try to look at it as, "at least i got a ticket at 107 instead of a deer jumping out in front of me at 107"
Kinda what I was thinking.

What you should REALLY be 'scared' of is doing 107 on public roads in anything, bike or otherwise. I don't know if 'scared' is the word I'd choose, maybe 'worried'. And you should be. There's no good reason to be going that fast on public roads. Rain? Come on. Rain is nothing, and if you're really scared of it, pull over and wait it out. Short of a life or death situation, there's no good reason for what you did. And it's going to cost you ($$$) for sure to make that point ever so clear.

Now, that being said, I'm not going to sit here and pretend I don't speed. Sure I do, and sure I've been caught. But in those situations, you man up, pay the fine, and either learn from your lesson or start putting some money away until the next time you're 'reminded'.

Mike

Old 08-21-2012, 07:44 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,116,542 times
I got stopped doing about 110 mph on my bike once. The officer opened his ticket book and was out of tickets. I got lucky.
The one thing I have a hard time getting used to here on the Autobahn is passing police cars when going over 200 kmh

Old 08-21-2012, 07:47 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,382,982 times
First off, if you didn't go to jail that day, you're already ahead of the curve (30+ over tends to be considered "Reckless" and it's the LEOs choice on if you can get back on the bike or go to jail). I've been where you are now, only I was ticketed for 118 in a 55. I skipped the lawyer and just went to court on my own. I didn't do Anything special other than bring my (at that time flawless) DMV record with me and act VERY humble. The judge offered to change the ticket to something else that was the same Fine in dollar value, but was a no-point offense, which I took without hesitation. See, that $500 fine was WORLDS cheaper than a suspended license, increase in insurance costs, any kind of bond needed on the license to get it back, etc... Paid on the way out with credit-card and never looked back.

I suspect it helped that the court-room was full of idiots that day though, people who were belligerent, possibly drunk/high, wearing torn/dirty/stinky clothes who didn't show Any respect for the Judge. It also helped that the LEO who pulled me over said I did like you, pulled over right away, was humble/easy to deal with.

At a Later date, I did something else stupid and opted for a lawyer. He managed to screw EVERYTHING up before I was able to stop him. So if you go with a Lawyer, do NOT pick one from the crap mail/calls you'll be receiving. Find one that doesn't advertise heavily and has good recommendations (ASK for those recommendations, then call them and talk with those people). Thanks to that lawyer, I did lose my license, I DID have to pay a $5000 fine AND his fees... all that instead of the original option of something under $1000 in fines and 10 points (out of 12, so I could have kept my license). I'm not sure he could have made things worse for me.

As for riding the bike, not sure why you'd be scared to ride again? Maybe you mean you're scared that you'll again have ZERO impulse control and do something else stupid? Maybe next time it'll be the EMTs that are paying you attention instead of a LEO, or a Coroner? It takes balls to do the Right thing, especially when a so-called "friend" isn't, but you know what's right and if you have the balls to ignore others and just do what's right there shouldn't be any issue with riding more in the future. If you're wanting to go fast on a sportbike, find a track-day. You'll be able to do 8~10 of those for the cost of this one speeding expedition, plus it'll get that whole "I wanna go fast" thing out of your system REAL quick (on public streets I mean). Once you do a track-day, you realize that you have way too many risks on the streets and way too few rewards. At that point, riding becomes about the personal rewards of being on your own, experiencing things like those in cages never can/will, and the camaraderie of others who know the same thing.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:57 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,356,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhack02 View Post
This past Saturday heading south on U S #1 with my buddy on motorcycles i was pulled by a under cover state trooper. He gave me 107 MPH in a 65 mph zone. He complimented me sevaral times for pulling over right away. A big storm was coming and my or my self have not rode in a storm so we were trying to get home fast. I'm scared because i don't know what going to happen to me. I know i was wrong and stupid but I have beaten up on myself all weekend now i need advise if i can get it. I don't know if I can ride again without being scared.
While I don't want to be straight-up mean, I've gotta admit that I don't have much sympathy for you in this situation. Ticketed for 107 mph means you were probably going much faster than that, at some point.

I've ridden for over 30 years now, and have NEVER done speeds like that. That's one of the reasons I'm still alive to talk about it. Shoot, just last Saturday I rode home in rain - 3 hours of cold rain. I survived just fine.

My advice is to do whatever you can to get through this mess you got yourself into. But please - PLEASE - learn from this, and do NOT ride like that again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles