Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 10:18 AM

1,517 posts, read 989,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Some of those women report that the bike felt big at first. Then they said, a day later or a week later, everything felt right.
Women have said that same thing about me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 01:47 PM

3,040 posts, read 4,998,180 times
I would suggest you get yourself a bike that you are comfortable with. It doesn't have to be fast or sporty, learn the nuances of riding first, it could save your life. Understand the concept of situational awareness, just because your riding on a road doesn't mean others will see you. Target fixation is probably the number one issue with novice riders, and it can get you killed. It doesn't matter if your ride a HD or a Moped, please learn the dynamics of riding and always ride at YOUR own skill level. Just because your bike can do 150 mph doesn't mean you have to ride it that fast.

I'e been riding for 45 years, and "knock on wood" I've never put my bike down, it doesn't mean that I won't, it just means I haven't yet. I've rode many different bikes, and one thing that all have in common is 2 wheels and that means the all handle about the same, the only difference if the speed. I currently ride a Gold Wing, a 950 pound bike, and every time I get on it, I know I'm invisible to some drivers and I ride with that in mind.

Old 06-15-2017, 07:56 AM

448 posts, read 365,561 times
A helmet

Old 06-15-2017, 08:01 AM

448 posts, read 365,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Almost everybody I know who rides eventually gets a Harley. The may ride Japanese bikes for 20 years but eventually they all want a Harley.

If you buy a Harley and don't like it you will usually get your money back. The same cannot be said for the Japanese bikes.

What you don't want to buy as your first bike is one of those "crotch rocket/organ donor" bikes.
You pay a lot less for a *** bike then a Harley, Indian ect. You will not get your money back on a Harley if you buy it new or pay current value. If you get a great deal and buy one under value you may get your money back. I got a good deal on a 2005 dyna back in 2009 for 8k. Put the cam gears on it to fix the tensioner problem, along with some bags and Lindy linbar. I think I could get maybe around 5k out of it now if that. If I would have bought a Yamaha Vstar I could have picked up a used on with low miles for around 3k and could sell if today for around 1900. A lot less of a loss. But I also think a Harley does have the wow factor much more than any bike besides an Indian.

Old 07-11-2017, 04:27 PM

691 posts, read 419,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVAunit1981 View Post
OP: Get whatever make you want and don't be concerned with other people's opinions.

Most people recommend a 250 for a first bike. I started out riding a year ago. I got a 750 Vulcan and I'm still happy with it in terms of power and performance. I don't think a 750 would be too much for a beginner as long as you take it slow and safe until you build some confidence and experience.
+1 I also started on a 750 Vulcan. Heavy and fast enough to put the right kind of fear and appreciation into ya but not really heavy or fast enough that you can't conquer it. Driveshaft driven liquid cooled low maintenance equivalent to a 300 hp car like a stock mustang gt, small block chevys or trans am. fantastic bike easy to find, plenty of used parts the bike or parts are of realistic costs and if you drop it, its heavy enough that you wont be happy about dropping it but can pick it up alone!\

500lbs/ 66 hp/ 40some torque. love it

Last edited by mstelm; 07-11-2017 at 05:08 PM..

Old 07-12-2017, 08:06 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,040,954 times
Aflac!

Just kidding! Enjoy the ride and drive defensively!

Last edited by ralphfr; 07-12-2017 at 08:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles