Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 01:28 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,969,192 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone - this past weekend I took and passed Indiana's version of the Motorcycle BRC - Beginner Rider's Course (by ABATE) - It was excellent and I had a lot of fun and also learned a lot. Now I am trying to figure out what to get Bike-wise. The Harley-Davidson Iron 883 looks like an awesome value and looks cool and according to one fellow classmate: you should just get a Harley, if you don't you will always wish you had! According to another classmate, Harley's break down frequently or need a lot of maintenance. According to yet another, they thought Sport-bikes were the greatest! We practiced and tested on Suzuki GN125's which were fun but honestly I had never ridden anything else in my life, so my experience is limited. I'm scratching my head here - so many darned choices! Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 03:04 PM

3,483 posts, read 8,987,116 times
For Harley Davidson advice, look here.

For 1st time motorcycle advice, look here.

Ask yourself the question of what type of riding you see yourself doing. There are many different bikes, which can do many different things. Some bikes are all around great performers in a many varied styles of riding, some bikes are more purpose-built. The world is much larger than "Sportbike" or "Cruiser" and you'll learn that as you move along...or as you start. If you choose not to learn this, well, that's up to you, but doing so will limit you immensely to the awesome machines that are on the market either new or used.

As to the advice of a bunch of people who are taking a class in motorcycles, who are new to riding, and formulating their own opinions just as much as you are, I would take the advice with a grain of salt. Find people who not only talk the talk, but walk the walk, folks with years of riding experience, and people with experience on various types/brands of motorcycles.

As stated above, ask what you plan on using the motorcycle for, what makes you want to ride, and how you picture yourself when on the bike...then come back and ask as many questions as you can possibly form and we'll provide you with some very logical and well meaning answers.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:05 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,008,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
Hey everyone - this past weekend I took and passed Indiana's version of the Motorcycle BRC - Beginner Rider's Course (by ABATE) - It was excellent and I had a lot of fun and also learned a lot. Now I am trying to figure out what to get Bike-wise. The Harley-Davidson Iron 883 looks like an awesome value and looks cool and according to one fellow classmate: you should just get a Harley, if you don't you will always wish you had! According to another classmate, Harley's break down frequently or need a lot of maintenance. According to yet another, they thought Sport-bikes were the greatest! We practiced and tested on Suzuki GN125's which were fun but honestly I had never ridden anything else in my life, so my experience is limited. I'm scratching my head here - so many darned choices! Any advice?
Get an older mid-size Asian bike. By that, I mean something along the lines of a Honda 750. They're fairly cheap, they're reliable, and they're easy to handle. If you love it, and want to get into more serious cycling, you can always get your money back out of it, and use that money for a downpayment on something different. If you find that you don't love cycling, you're not stuck with an expensive motorcycle.

The overwhelming majority of motorcycle accidents involve novice riders, so don't get carried away before you get some solid riding experience under your belt.

Have fun!

Old 05-22-2013, 06:17 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,020,169 times
Yes, I would stick with a standard motorcycle. Something that gives you a little bit of everything as far as capability.

You can't go wrong with the UJM-universal japanese motorcycle. Find one 5-10 years old with not a lot of miles. They are everywhere; craigslist, ebay, cycle trader..etc. Ride that for a year or two, figure out your style of riding and then get a bike you want to stick with a while.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:35 AM

811 posts, read 1,383,880 times
I totally agree with starting with a bike that's used and inexpensive. Improve your skills and confidence for a year or so, then you can sell the bike for as much as you paid for it to someone else starting out. Another good starter bike to consider is a Ninja 250. You can find them everywhere for under $2000, and they are very beginner friendly. Another option is a dual sport like a Yamaha XT225 or Suzuki DR200. They are light and fun as heck to ride, and you can ride them anywhere. Good luck in your search!

Old 05-23-2013, 08:53 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,714,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
For Harley Davidson advice, look here.

For 1st time motorcycle advice, look here.

Ask yourself the question of what type of riding you see yourself doing. There are many different bikes, which can do many different things. Some bikes are all around great performers in a many varied styles of riding, some bikes are more purpose-built. The world is much larger than "Sportbike" or "Cruiser" and you'll learn that as you move along...or as you start. If you choose not to learn this, well, that's up to you, but doing so will limit you immensely to the awesome machines that are on the market either new or used.
This is first and foremost one of the most important things. If you plan on doing rides that are a couple hundred miles long or longer, you are going to be very dissatisfied with your choice when you are doing this on a sport bike. If you plan on learning on how to track a bike, then obviously a harley isn't going to be your best bet. You can always go in the middle though as those bikes exist as well. quick like a sport bike but also comfortable for a long cruise.

Quote:
As to the advice of a bunch of people who are taking a class in motorcycles, who are new to riding, and formulating their own opinions just as much as you are, I would take the advice with a grain of salt. Find people who not only talk the talk, but walk the walk, folks with years of riding experience, and people with experience on various types/brands of motorcycles.
If his course was anything like mine when I did my beginner motorcycle course... I did my course through the MSF (motorcycle safety foundation) and upon completion of the course you get your cycle endorsement and also a card to take to your insurance to get cheaper motorcycle insurance. About half of the people in my course had been riding for 20+years and finally got around to getting their endorsement.

Quote:
As stated above, ask what you plan on using the motorcycle for, what makes you want to ride, and how you picture yourself when on the bike...then come back and ask as many questions as you can possibly form and we'll provide you with some very logical and well meaning answers.
x2

Old 05-23-2013, 09:04 AM

3,483 posts, read 8,987,116 times
I typically jump to the UJM's also, but I've been riding Japanese built machines exclusively. My first motorcycle cost $300, was ugly, had a hideous fairing on it, and needed paint, tires, chain. But my roommate had replaced the fork seals, ignition, etc prior to me purchasing the bike. He paid $35 for the machine, and less than $100 in parts before selling it to me to learn on.

I've purchased 3 bikes since then, the most expensive cost $1500. One was $270 (1985 Honda CB650SC) which was a great UJM sport cruiser, and did everything well. I spent $1400 + my trade of the 1st bike on a 02' SV650 which I rode for several years...it was an absolutely fantastic machine. I later saw a deal I couldn't pass up on a high mileage 96' Honda Magna $1500. The guy was selling cheap because he couldn't figure out why it wouldn't stay running. He believed he ripped me off, but to me it was worth $1500 in scrap so I didn't have to much of a problem with the deal. I got her running well, replaced tires, chain, oil, voltage regulator, etc and she's been very reliable. I probably have $500 in the bike (but much of that is regular maintenance needed on any vehicle), but it's still worth about $3000. My thoughts, I'll likely sell the bike in a year or two and have ridden for free.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:53 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,587,923 times
Find the cheapest Ninja 250 or 500 you can find...Ride the ass off of it. Then sell it a year later for close to what you paid.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:16 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,070,180 times
^ or sell it for more than what you paid for it. I've actually made a profit on a couple of bikes. That's a great thing about used bikes. They settle into a price and stay there for a long time. And you won't care if you drop a $1000 bike vs a shiny new $10k one.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:35 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,344,466 times
Almost everybody I know who rides eventually gets a Harley. The may ride Japanese bikes for 20 years but eventually they all want a Harley.

If you buy a Harley and don't like it you will usually get your money back. The same cannot be said for the Japanese bikes.

What you don't want to buy as your first bike is one of those "crotch rocket/organ donor" bikes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles