Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 06:42 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,410,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Not for those of us who have a house on a lake.

Then they sit in dry-dock instead of the garage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 12:33 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,199,846 times
Boating isnt like having a car. Boating is dangerous and requires someone being alert and one that knows the rules of the water.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:36 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,131,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PromisedPeace View Post
Is it true that many people who buy boats just practically end up just mostly keeping it in garage?
Well, unless you live on waterfront property or dock it at a marina... yeah, that's where your boat spends the vast majority of its time.

I personally wouldn't own a boat unless it's docked just outside my back door, or at the very most docked within a few minute's drive. A possible exception is if I lived near a lake with a boat launch and enough parking space to leave the vehicle and trailer in the lot while I did my thing. Otherwise it wouldn't get enough use to justify buying it, storing it, and/or hauling it around.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:41 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,410,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
Boating isnt like having a car. Boating is dangerous and requires someone being alert and one that knows the rules of the water.
Lol, that's EXACTLY like having a car!!! Based on 2012 numbers, you're 39 TIMES more likely to die while driving than while boating.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:47 AM

45,319 posts, read 60,489,441 times
From my location you can see I live on some fairly big water. There are usually quite a few boats out, some are work boats (crabbing, charter) but most are pleasure craft.

Having said that, the marinas are full of "slip queens", boats that the owners come down to sit on, maybe to entertain, sometimes to overnight, many just so the owner can say he owns a boat. Most of those are high dollar boats, especially the sailboats.

The cost of operating the boat is incredible, just the fuel bought at the marina is usually a dollar/gallon more than a gas station.

As a note, I don't own a boat.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:21 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,899,953 times
The old saying is, "The Happiest day in a man's life is when he buys a boat, the second happiest day is when he sells it!"
By the way we just sold ours...........and I am happy about it, over this past year the most it got moved was to cut the grass under it.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:55 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,742,002 times
You could keep your boat in your pool and not use two things at once.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:30 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,082 times
I have a pontoons boat and a stand up jetski. I use them both regularly. The jetski sees use up to 3 times a week when it's warm, twice To three times a month over the winter. It's almost as expensive to run the ski as it is the boat.

And hours don't tell the whole story. We get on the boat and head to the sandbar or a cove and enjoy a day on the lake. The engine doesn't have to be running to be using a boat.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:26 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,460,874 times
Renting a boat for a season to gauge just how much you'd use it definitely sounds like a good idea before going forward with a purchase. Might turn out that an occasional rental is plenty for you and save yourself a lot of money and trouble.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:50 PM

44,619 posts, read 61,571,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
The old saying is, "The Happiest day in a man's life is when he buys a boat, the second happiest day is when he sells it!"
By the way we just sold ours...........and I am happy about it, over this past year the most it got moved was to cut the grass under it.
So true. We live on a lake with a dock and have used our boat 5 times in 8 years. It makes a great decoration. Our neighbor uses his boat like it's a patio, he just sits in it with some friends and drinks a beer or too. Rarely takes it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles