Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2013, 01:16 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,960,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
But it only bothers some. Then there are some that are bothered OEM muffled cars. Then there are those bothered by the click clack of skateboards on sidewalk cracks. Where does it stop!
Well, we have tried to codify the acceptable levels in legislation. It's just that certain motorcyclists thought it didn't apply to them. Speaking for myself, I'd say that when my windows has started to rattle, your right to enjoy that superannuated engine design noise has long ago ended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 01:18 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,831,270 times
Quote:
But it only bothers some.
It bothered enough people in Colorado that we now ENFORCE a law against it.

Loud pipes saves lives is a crock of poo. If your were really worried about saving lives you would wear a dot approved helmet and protective clothing. But instead the majority of the loud pipes crowd dress up like pirates.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:30 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,236,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossCountryTrip;30269809[B
They will do it to spite you[/b].
THANK YOU. I've been saying this for years. The whole "loud pipes save lives" thing is BS.

They get off on blasting people with their loud pipes. It's that simple. What other excuse could there be for the guy who lives down the block from me and comes in on a work night, after midnight, sounding like a crippled F-4 landing on one engine. The noise is so shockingly loud that it sends my system into fight-or-flight overdrive...hair standing on end, heart and adrenaline pumping. I can almost feel the hours coming off my lifespan.

It's literally enraging. Not in rational way, but in an immediate, body-level, "no jury would convict me" way. Every cell in my body instantly craves vengeance, ideally by beating him about the head and shoulders with the flat of my sugar-cane machete.

This is the reaction these people want. It's passive aggressive violence in the extreme.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:32 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,036,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I'd think that running one's recreational equipment at a sound level that didn't bother people (at least those who aren't given a choice whether they wish to be in the audience) counted as a somewhat minimum level of consideration.
I'll ask you the question again: Is that what I said?

Did I say what you claim I said?

Old 07-02-2013, 01:33 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,066,608 times
Quote:
At least those riders are out enjoying life doing what the like. I guess those who complain about everything are enjoying that to, its a win win
How many times have you heard a rider get all bent out of shape while complaining "caged drivers don't see me!!!"?

Old 07-02-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
I'll ask you the question again: Is that what I said?

Did I say what you claim I said?
In this context? It sure seemed like it.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:38 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,478,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Well, we have tried to codify the acceptable levels in legislation. It's just that certain motorcyclists thought it didn't apply to them. Speaking for myself, I'd say that when my windows has started to rattle, your right to enjoy that superannuated engine design noise has long ago ended.
You are entitled to feel that way. Sad, but you can feel that way. I like how YOU get to define rights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
It bothered enough people in Colorado that we now ENFORCE a law against it.

Loud pipes saves lives is a crock of poo. If your were really worried about saving lives you would wear a dot approved helmet and protective clothing. But instead the majority of the loud pipes crowd dress up like pirates.
No matter what you where, when you pull your big ol suv out right in front of a biker, hes screwed. Most of us have, even though I doubt the pipe haters will admit it, have been on the freeway and heard a bike they couldnt see. This happens all the time. They are smaller. The can save lives, but thats not the primary reason they have them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by high iron View Post
THANK YOU. I've been saying this for years. The whole "loud pipes save lives" thing is BS.

They get off on blasting people with their loud pipes. It's that simple. What other excuse could there be for the guy who lives down the block from me and comes in on a work night, after midnight, sounding like a crippled F-4 landing on one engine. The noise is so shockingly loud that it sends my system into fight-or-flight overdrive...hair standing on end, heart and adrenaline pumping. I can almost feel the hours coming off my lifespan.

It's literally enraging. Not in rational way, but in an immediate, body-level, "no jury would convict me" way. Every cell in my body instantly craves vengeance, ideally by beating him about the head and shoulders with the flat of my sugar-cane machete.

This is the reaction these people want. It's passive aggressive violence in the extreme.
If you get that angry over exhaust, go get checked out. Your blood pressure has got to be out of control. There may be some deeper issues that need to be treated as well. Id hate to see what happens to you when the biker is to your left, the bass from the SUV to the right, and some crying kids in the back.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:40 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,478,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
How many times have you heard a rider get all bent out of shape while complaining "caged drivers don't see me!!!"?
2-3 tons of caged drivers darn near killing you, yeah, thats worthy of a complaint.

2 or 3 seconds of exhaust, hardly worth batting an eye at.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:44 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotext View Post
How do you know they're irritated?
I see a lot of people showing off in a lot of ways, and I have no reason to think small-minded cyclists are any special breed who are not subject to the weaknesses of other small-minded show-offs. There are car drivers who are analagous. Huge amps and speakers in the trunk, etc..

Old 07-02-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:
You are entitled to feel that way. Sad, but you can feel that way. I like how YOU get to define rights.
Feeling your right to make noise ends where my windows rattle is controversial? OK then. When asshats drop common sense and basic courtesy, the rest of us had to bring in the law. That of course kills a lot of good fun for everybody, but the consequences of not doing so were considered worse, by more. So it goes.

If people who like noise would take their noise-making toys somewhere dedicated for the purpose, there to share the noise with other noise afficionados, nobody would bat an eyelid. It's good to have hobbies. But if you want to share your noise with a captive audience, you're overstepping the boundaries of decent behavior. And that goes whether it's bagpipe practice or engine exhausts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles