Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 10:17 AM

78,333 posts, read 60,527,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
I wasnt trying to be rude man. This was more referred to the person complaining about loud pipes in general...and bad mouthing motorcyclists in general. Not all of us are like that; in fact many of us are not. its usually the young ones with the r1s and r6s

and I didnt read 25+ pages of comments and replies so i obviously missed that. And yeah I get it, some motorcyclists riders are A-Holes. That same harely rider who was bursting his pipe on purpose could also be a young jock on a mustang GT doing the same thing. But yes, of course that would **** anyone off, that is the obvious though. But its the person not the bike lol. for me, ill never do that to my neighbors.

Im talking about just normal street riding out on the roads or highway with pipes bursting. If that kind of stuff bothers you, then stop living such an uptight life.

All I am saying is, its NOT THE MOTORCYCLE its THE PERSON BEHIND THE VEHICLE. This post is directed exactly towards motorcycles which I find pretty funny given there are probably more mustang GTs with straight pipes vs bikers with full exhaust system. And to be honest, there are way more motorcyclists with quiet bikes vs loud exhaust systems...at least in Colorado.

dont get me wrong I think its stupid to have a loud exaust for just showing off purpose....but sh**t dont bother me; a lot of things dont bother me. But hey, more power to me vs the cranky person next door who is about to get a brain aneurysm. Life is too short man and yeah im whining about whiners and people who whine about motorcycles in general. not all of us are bad, obnoxious, and rude. in fact im super polite when im out on the roads.
Fair enough, good post. Blanket statements are never accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2018, 10:31 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,162,246 times
You either have a slot in your brain shaped like a motorcycle engine or you don't.......most people don't like bikes in general.....we see them every day and they will always hate any noise which is completely subjective of course......music to our ears and a pain to the non-believers..........

Old 12-17-2018, 07:04 AM

924 posts, read 1,020,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
You either have a slot in your brain shaped like a motorcycle engine or you don't.......most people don't like bikes in general.....we see them every day and they will always hate any noise which is completely subjective of course......music to our ears and a pain to the non-believers..........
yep its kind of like this. And sadly it is true, the average person dont like motorcyclists....most likely the young and reckless to give us a bad name and the "i want to be cool and act bad a**" type that gave the rest of motorcyclists a bad name.

I remember riding out on a country road with my cb500x and I was going to speed limit, driving super calm and conservative; plenty of space between cars. in my rear view mirror I see a complete decked out harley rider all in black with straight pipes driving recklessly around traffic. eventually he caught up to me and revved really hard and flew right by me. Probably an older fella going through a mid life crisis....but thats how these guys die and give the rest of us a bad name

I mean i ride to enjoy outdoors on forest roads and just a passion you cant really explain. I like going out west and enjoy nature and the mountains

As far as noise goes I get it. I dirtbike also and I know many other 40 - 50 yr olds who dirtbike as well and I love the sound of 2 strokes but many people hate them. They think its annoying or some kind of after market modification when actually its stock ha ha. 2 stroke are better for more technical and tougher trails, that is why you see some of us with it.

I have people trying to start stuff with me when im on my bike for no reason at all and no idea why; i ride a sports adventure bike and its not fast lol. like, they speed up go fast around me and look at me to see if I get raged or something? when im not like that at all. i just mind my business and ride on. I dont even make gestures when i get cut off or tail gated

Old 12-18-2018, 03:50 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
There's nothing like the smell of Castrol 2stroke smoke...

Old 12-19-2018, 04:42 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
Rode for a good 2 decades - Denmark, Germany, Belgium, the Netherlands, France, Italy, Switzerland and the US. Side roads in spring, flat-out on the autobahn, twisting through alpine passes, lane-splitting in LA traffic and loving every second on Highway 1. Hondas, Suzukis, Aprilias, Ducatis. (Rented an HD once, mistake.)

And I have never, not once, wished for a noisier motorcycle, nor have I considered owners of noisy motorcycles anything but boorish individuals.

Old 12-19-2018, 04:43 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Silkolene Pro 2. Accept no substitutes.

Old 12-20-2018, 02:44 PM

6,734 posts, read 4,413,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post

Just smelling that gives me goosebumps. From the decades of riding and mixing fuel. lately my bikes have been 4 strokes. But my hobby is 1/5 scale Rc using 2 strokes motors. Love the smell.

Old 12-21-2018, 12:22 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrabbit View Post
Loud pipes do not save lives. Being a good rider does, as well as lane splitting and filtering.
Nothing is guaranteed to save your arse on a bike. There is an inherent level of risk that comes with riding, regardless but I do feel quite pipes definitely do NOT help where I have personally experienced loud enough pipes getting the attention of the distracted drivers where no skill or Hi-Vis equipment would help since the only sense they might pay attention to is sound.

Just rolling my argument based on logic and personal experience. That said, I do loathe the straight pipes or obnoxiously loud pipes. What I also dislike is stupid politicians (Governator) giving in to laws where your right to modify your pipes become illegal, regardless of what type of modification or if the pipes were loud enough to even be an issue, etc.

I hate broad/general bylaws that take away your freedom in order to prevent that small percentage of idiots who are abusing the yesteryear's privileges.

They need to take their time and fine tune these laws before passing them. I don't get the "Alll or Nothing" bylaws that are ruining and taking away what little freedom and joy citizens have left going for the benefit or fault of a few.

If it wasn't for the lane splitting/filtering being legal, I would have moved out of CA. Still, I am aware AMA is working hard to spread the word, and a few states are considering passing a similar lane sharing law for motorcycles in the near future. Hopefully, it continues to spread to even more states.

Old 12-24-2018, 07:49 AM

924 posts, read 1,020,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Nothing is guaranteed to save your arse on a bike. There is an inherent level of risk that comes with riding, regardless but I do feel quite pipes definitely do NOT help where I have personally experienced loud enough pipes getting the attention of the distracted drivers where no skill or Hi-Vis equipment would help since the only sense they might pay attention to is sound.

Just rolling my argument based on logic and personal experience. That said, I do loathe the straight pipes or obnoxiously loud pipes. What I also dislike is stupid politicians (Governator) giving in to laws where your right to modify your pipes become illegal, regardless of what type of modification or if the pipes were loud enough to even be an issue, etc.

I hate broad/general bylaws that take away your freedom in order to prevent that small percentage of idiots who are abusing the yesteryear's privileges.

They need to take their time and fine tune these laws before passing them. I don't get the "Alll or Nothing" bylaws that are ruining and taking away what little freedom and joy citizens have left going for the benefit or fault of a few.

If it wasn't for the lane splitting/filtering being legal, I would have moved out of CA. Still, I am aware AMA is working hard to spread the word, and a few states are considering passing a similar lane sharing law for motorcycles in the near future. Hopefully, it continues to spread to even more states.
yep agree with ya here. Pipes do not help at all. High viz gear is more effective than pipes lol.

Anyhow, I agree with lane splitting but.....I think I will only do it on traffic jams and red lights. Lane splitting seems a bit scary for my tastes at higher speeds. Seen a lot of those videos from California lol. I htink it should be legal on red lights. I always get scared someone is going to rear end me, and if I move to the front, at least people will know I am there....in a way lol

Old 12-24-2018, 01:42 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydro View Post
Just smelling that gives me goosebumps. From the decades of riding and mixing fuel. lately my bikes have been 4 strokes. But my hobby is 1/5 scale Rc using 2 strokes motors. Love the smell.

Many WW I aircraft ran castor oil through their total loss oiling systems, what it gave their pilots was a mad dash to the outhouse upon landing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles