Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 12:51 PM

222 posts, read 860,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
You nailed perfect.
Cool. Am a big proponent of following one's dreams. About the only
suggestion that comes to mind would be for you to take at least
one motorcycle class, and go from there:
Learn to Ride a Motorcycle | Harley-Davidson USA

Incidently, I did quit riding for a decade due to marriage, mortgage,
and family. Was thinking what did I get myself into when I took my
first ride after 10 years. Felt a lot more comfortable after my 2nd
ride. Was almost back to normal within two weeks.

BTW, can you recall which '67 Triumph you owned back in the day?
I had a '67 Triumph 650 Trophy which was ridden by the original
owner from Washington, DC to Laguna Beach, CA and back again
before I bought it. This is what it looked like (not the same bike):
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 01:10 PM

364 posts, read 558,174 times
Quote:
You are certainly entitled to your opinion just like I am so I will leave it at that.
I see no need to debate you.
One cannot debate when their foot is down their throat.

Old 07-13-2013, 03:03 PM
PDD PDD started this thread

8,773 posts, read 18,332,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Sword View Post
One cannot debate when their foot is down their throat.
Congrats you have just been promoted to my ignore list. I don't need jerks like you.

Old 07-13-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumbler View Post
Cool. Am a big proponent of following one's dreams. About the only
suggestion that comes to mind would be for you to take at least
one motorcycle class, and go from there:
Learn to Ride a Motorcycle | Harley-Davidson USA

Incidently, I did quit riding for a decade due to marriage, mortgage,
and family. Was thinking what did I get myself into when I took my
first ride after 10 years. Felt a lot more comfortable after my 2nd
ride. Was almost back to normal within two weeks.

BTW, can you recall which '67 Triumph you owned back in the day?
I had a '67 Triumph 650 Trophy which was ridden by the original
owner from Washington, DC to Laguna Beach, CA and back again
before I bought it. This is what it looked like (not the same bike):
Good advice on the riding school that is just what I plan on doing. The Harley dealer near me offers the course.

My Triumph was blue and white it was a 500CC with raised side pipes. I did a lot of dirt riding in that bike.
I bought another one in 1970 and rode it twice and sold it . I don't even count that one since I had it such a short time.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:39 PM

222 posts, read 860,520 times
Quote:
Good advice on the riding school that is just what I plan on doing. The Harley dealer near me offers the course.

My Triumph was blue and white it was a 500CC with raised side pipes. I did a lot of dirt riding in that bike.
I bought another one in 1970 and rode it twice and sold it . I don't even count that one since I had it such a short time.
Didn't take the riding school myself as it was just 10 years. Took the written test,
but no riding test was required by the DMV as the M endorsement was still in my
record.

Seems as if you had the 1967 Triumph T100C Tiger 500 with high pipes. The 500cc
twins were smoother than the 650cc and 750cc twins.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:26 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,357,163 times
If I were going on a long tour, an 883 would not be my bike of choice. They're small, slow and uncomfortable. I'd go up to at least a softail, if not a full dress Ultra.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:00 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,373,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
If I were going on a long tour, an 883 would not be my bike of choice. They're small, slow and uncomfortable. I'd go up to at least a softail, if not a full dress Ultra.
Thankfully, your opinion is only valid for yourself. Small is relative, if you're a Typical overweight 'Merrycan, then maybe you do dunlop the bike and need a much wider tractor set just to hold the flab off the road. Most people who aren't bombarded with constant social ignorance that "bigger is better" wouldn't think the bike was small. Others DESIRE a smaller bike. Comfort is 100% individual, first instance the 2 bikes you've mentioned are torture racks to me. A bone-stock 883 is geared (and has the power) to hit 110mph. Since the highest speed limit in the country is 85mph, one doesn't need any more speed. Not exactly enjoyable riding on those limited-access, high speed limit roads anyway.

Given that the PO last rode a 500cc Triumph ~ smaller, lighter and less power than an 883, it's already going to be a step up. The 883 is over 200lbs heavier and has nearly Double the torque. Plus, it's what he likes, and that's Really all that matters.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:43 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,583,889 times
I'd recommend you do it even if you couldn't hold up a bike and had to rent a trike. 70 is the new 60, if you don't go you'll spend the next 20yrs daydreaming about it.

I've ridden a modern Bonnie long distance and it was a good time, I'd expect the 883 to be a similar experience. (I'd still go with the 1200 tho'..It's got to be more comfortable at cruising speeds.)

Old 07-15-2013, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
I'd recommend you do it even if you couldn't hold up a bike and had to rent a trike. 70 is the new 60, if you don't go you'll spend the next 20yrs daydreaming about it.

I've ridden a modern Bonnie long distance and it was a good time, I'd expect the 883 to be a similar experience. (I'd still go with the 1200 tho'..It's got to be more comfortable at cruising speeds.)
Is the 1200 a much smoother engine? I have not ridden either. I know both bikes weigh the same so that is not an issue.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:40 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,634,586 times
I fell in lust with a Kawasaki KZ1300 six but cannot ride it because of low speed and stopping, not a bike but a rider problem. So I have to sell it. PM me.

As a replacement I bought a used Suzuki 650 Burgman scooter. This thing is a 650 cc motorcycle with a step through frame. I thought I would miss shifting but the auto variable ration drive is better than fine. By placing the rear brake on the left handlebar I can do heavy trail braking into corners like never before. The thing corners surprisingly well. The engine is powerful enough for 90+ mph on the slab when necessary.

PPD - I suggest a couple of things:

Before you start buy a helmet that fits and a protective jacket with reflective stripes. I also have a yellow/green fluorescent rain jacket that is blindingly reflective in a closet let alone the rain.

First find a state sponsored beginners riding course. I took one after some forty (I just turned 67) years of riding and learned enough to make the course worthwhile. In some places this is also your riding test for an M'cycle endorsement on your license. Check it out.

Second is buy a used motorcycle for a couple of grand, put good new tires on it and ride it around for a season or two before trying the grand cross country trip. I strongly suggest do not spend 20+ grand on a toy you may not be able to use (see Kawasaki tale). Odds are you will still be able to ride in a couple years so train yourself and build endurance on an easier bike before you try the epic ride.

Third is remember you are effectively invisible to the cage drivers so be very alert and aware of what is happening around you.

Welcome back to riding and keep the rubber side down. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles