Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 03:32 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,159,672 times

Advertisements

This is funny. I just came to this forum for the first time to ask why one never sees bikes with sidecars any more...just now on the way home I passed one, and it was a Ural! And it was going slowly and sounded pretty rough, not that I know anything much about bikes.

It did get me wondering about the sidecar thing though. One of my very earliest memories (circa 1960) was of my dad taking me for a ride with him on the bike and me in the sidecar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 05:30 PM

24,463 posts, read 25,999,509 times
There is a guy and his dog that travel the western states on a Ural with a side car. He was riding a BMW with a side car but it was getting a bit long in the tooth.

Here is his web site.

The Oasis Of My Soul » Ara and Spirit: Life Under the Stars

Old 08-19-2013, 06:16 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,032,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
This is funny. I just came to this forum for the first time to ask why one never sees bikes with sidecars any more...just now on the way home I passed one, and it was a Ural! And it was going slowly and sounded pretty rough, not that I know anything much about bikes.

It did get me wondering about the sidecar thing though. One of my very earliest memories (circa 1960) was of my dad taking me for a ride with him on the bike and me in the sidecar.
We had a Ural for a few years. You definitely need to staaand back when someone starts it after it has been idle for a couple of weeks. It backfires, blows blue smoke, and makes a cacophony of noise. Low powered, is sold with a seat like a tractor (damn thing had springs underneath) and dripped oil. And this was a new one Spouse had it for the "oh wow, lookit that!" factor, but was not enough of a tinkerer or mechanic to keep it going, so it was sold.

I've been riding a Silverwing with sidecar for 10 years. Spiffy rig. Doesn't have the power to haul an adult in the tub, but has been great for cross-country travel and is an assured ride on gravel roads or in the rain

Old 08-22-2013, 10:02 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Where could I find a sidecar rig for my 650 Suzuki Burgman?

Old 08-22-2013, 10:18 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Complete motorcycle to sidecar mounting kits from DMC Sidecars | DMC Sidecars

Old 08-22-2013, 10:32 AM

Thanks. I just put that side on my favorites list.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:56 AM

2,040 posts, read 2,458,964 times
Quote:
Thanks. I just put that side on my favorites list.
Just s word of warning....

Riding a two-wheeler with a sidecar (hack) is a whole different experience and there is a learning curve required. They can be dangerous to those who don't take time to learn that gradually.

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 08-22-2013, 01:25 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,032,173 times
Quote:
There are a number of suppliers. I used Texas Sidecar and have been happy with it. Since I had the sidecar mounted primarily to create a stable platform and haul stuff, rather than a person, I now wish I had chosen a smaller tub (had the Standard installed). On a scooter in the range of my SW and a 650 Burgman, it will affect engine performance. I can still do up to 80 mph on mine, but I keep it down to around 60 (I hate riding the interstates so speed isn't a big deal). And my engine is now a helluva lot noisier, owing to the extra towing stress. Plus, a sidecar will make your bike eat rear tires. I know that some riders have swapped out the regular motorcycle back tire for a small car tire and had it last longer. My SW has to have a back tire replacement ~6000 miles, sometimes less. Mind that if you have a new bike, attaching a sidecar might void any warranty.

And the comment about a hack being a totally different ride? That cannot be stressed too much. It is a different critter. Attaching an appendage that has no steering mechanism means your bike will want to keep going straight when you want to turn left. Making a right turn too fast or tight will fly the car. (This is assuming that the tub is mounted the standard American way: on the right side of the bike) I've been through a couple of squabbles with the installer. He insisted that ballast is a must. I started with 100 lbs of barbell weights and gradually trimmed that to no ballast. I depend on shifting my weight in turns rather than putting extra weight in the tub. That means your butt goes off the seat when you make hard right turns or are going through a tight curve.

I would strongly advise taking a training course before making the decision to put a sidecar on any bike. S/TEP National Schedule – Evergreen Motorcycle Training is the course I took as part of the decision process. You're going to be making a big investment should you decide to turn your bike into a hack. Also, keep in mind that once your bike becomes a hack, it's best to keep it that way. It's a complicated setup for anyone not skilled in that area, plus you have to take into account that your back tire will wear in a different pattern with a sidecar. I took my rig back to the installer a couple of years after the initial setup. He found that the toe was out of line by less than 2 inches. It took several hours to right that adjustment. So, unless one is good at breaking down vehicles and reassembling them, a sidecar assembly is not to be messed with.

All this being said, I have a blast with my rig; even more fun than all the years I was on two-wheels. I made one cross country ride on two wheels through a very rainy season. Talk about a miserable, scary ride. With my sidecar, I face the prospect of showers with an "oh, crap," a *shrug*, then pull over and haul out my Frog Toggs and continue on my way.

Old 07-05-2014, 04:40 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,503,175 times
I have to say...the idea of a Ural sidecar rig is sort of growing on me. Would be another interesting way to explore the backcountry. We had one along on a 1500 mile backcountry (mostly dirt road) ride through Montana and Idaho a couple years ago, it did great....and was very popular as the "beer hauler" for our nightly campfire beverages. Trouble free the whole time. I don't know if he used 2WD or not. Only issue...not exactly the fastest thing on the pavement. IIRC they are only about 40 hp. Good part is that mechanically they are very simple. Looks like anyone with basic mechanical skills could work on one.

Nobody makes what I would like to see. Imagine an "adventure bike" version of the Can-Am Spyder. Dual front, single rear wheel, long travel suspension and selectable 3WD. Take a Can-Am Renegade (1000 please) and swap out the rear axle and suspension for a swing arm and single wheel. Would be an interesting alternative to an ATV, and legal on any paved road in any state.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:37 AM

After discussing this with my primary rider we decided that when we get too decrepit to ride on two wheels we will go for four. If we can't lean to go around corners why bother with a side car or trike. Probably some variant of a C-5 Corvette.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles