Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 10:21 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,211,966 times

Advertisements

So my husband and I are planning to pull the trigger on a bucket list entry and ride to the Sturgis rally in 2014. We'd be coming up from Tampa, Florida, riding the whole way. We have a couple potential routes plotted out but both have elements we'd love to change. Has anyone made this ride and have any suggestions for an itinerary?

We are so excited about going….we have our reservations and are counting down thre days

Last edited by CrowGirl; 08-21-2013 at 10:22 PM.. Reason: Fix typos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 06:49 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,041,501 times
I have no opinion about what route you should take. I just hope you're both very experienced riders. Good luck!

Old 08-22-2013, 10:06 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,167,692 times
Absent knowing what your priorities and interests are ... it's impossible to give you a meaningful response about your routes ...

Are you looking for the "quickest" route, shortest riding distance to Sturgis?

Are you seeking places of interest enroute to stop at to break up the riding days? Nice lodging and restaurants enroute?

Any interests beyond just grinding out the miles ... are you trying to do this as an "iron butt" ride?

With already having planned some routes that have "elements we'd love to change" ... maybe you could disclose what those routes are and what you'd like to change about them?

Old 08-22-2013, 11:56 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,608,065 times
I always try to take highways instead of the interstates. Sometimes it's just easier to jump on I-80, or whichever, and just go.
Knowing me I'd probably cut over to New Orleans and then work my way up.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:22 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,031,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
..we have our reservations and are counting down the days
Reservations at Sturgis or along the entire route? What is your window for traveling? Age? Interests? Ever ridden that long of a route?

More details are necessary to give decent advice.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:41 PM

Thanks all for the replies. LEt me try to answer some of your questions.

We have reservations in Sturgis already and planned on just staying wherever along the route. Tentatively we are planning a quickish trip up - 4 or 4 1/2 days up. We're hoping to avoid interstates just because they aren't our favorite for riding. We'll take a more leisurely time coming back - we're taking off a full two weeks for the trip all told.

This time next eyar - the time of the actual ride - I will be 43 and my husband 52. I haven't been on a ride of this length before but he has been riding for years and years and years and has been on a number of long rides.

So I guess what we're looking for is a relatively direct route not on the interstates, hopefully avoiding areas of awful traffic if possible. Extra points for quality miles….good scenery, pleasant riding, etc. We've got a few potential routes worked out but the problem with each of them is you can't tell from the map whether a road is a two lane highway with a traffic light every mile.

Thanks agian!

Old 08-22-2013, 09:08 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,608,065 times
I like google maps, if you type in start/finish spots, it'll give you a few different routes.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:19 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,701 posts, read 58,022,681 times
I add the scenic and curvy stuff to my cycle trips.
America's Byways®: National Scenic Byways Online
MotorcycleRoads.US - Great Motorcycle Roads in the US
The USA
Motorcycle Roads | Motorcycle Roads and Rides | MotorcycleRoads.com
Do take the time to ride the 'Beartooth' while you are so close!! (one of best roads in USA)
Plus any interesting stuff I can drum up. Mostly stopping in small towns for groceries / gas / local conversations. I stay in Guest homes $10/ night worldwide.

I often use city parks or fairgrounds for camping.
City pools for shower and cooling off
Libraries and resort lobbies for cool spot to catch a nap during the heat of the day.

Consider visiting the Villages of Van Buren (SE IA). Villages of Van Buren County Iowa (IA)

Couple spots I like in NE, Windmill State Park (near Minden) & Pioneer Village Pioneer Village (Minden ... free / discount admission with camping / motel) and Ole's Big Game Bar and Steakhouse (Paxton). Ole's Big Game Steakhouse & Lounge

There are some fun stops in SD as well. You can study up on novel spots.

For Sturgis area, I really like staying at Main Street Manor Hostel in Lead, SD.
Main Street Manor Hostel, Lead South Dakota
(or in Spearfish, SD along the creek)

I haven't been there during Sturgis Week since I quit racing flat-track in the early 1970's.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 08-27-2013 at 01:28 AM..

Old 08-27-2013, 04:43 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,415,715 times
If, on your trip, you are in the Mena, Arkansas area, try fitting this national scenic ride in your trip. 55 miles long. I ride this route about 20-30 times a year when it's not icy. It is on the second tallest mountain in Arkansas.

Talimena Scenic Drive

Old 08-29-2013, 09:59 PM

Thanks for the great suggestions - we will be checking into each of them to be sure….that sounds like what we're looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles