Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 12:30 PM

39,810 posts, read 26,403,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Is the Raider similar to a V-Rod?

I will eventually upgrade, too. There's just not much you can do to get more performance out of these bikes, unless you want to get into machine work.
The Raider is a "conventional" big twin cruiser, but with 1900cc. IIRC about 100hp (compared to many HDs at ~85 IIRC). Still the V-Rod is a different animal. Liquid cooled, performance oriented 1200 CC with ~130hp. More a performance or "muscle cruiser" than anything else in their lineup.

Honestly...why try to get more performance out of a conventional big-inch cruiser? That's not what they are all about. Why drop several grand for another 20HP or so when anyone with a sport bike or sport tourer (or even most ADV bikes) will dust you anyway? Cruisers are more about a stylish, comfortable ride than performance.

To the OP, the 650 V-Star is physically the smallest and probably least powerful and capable of the "small cruiser" class. And $3800 is way too much for a used one-I see lots of them for around $2k on our local Craigslist. Unless you are very short, you might find the Boulevard 800 or Vulcan 900 a better fit. My wife has a Bully 800 and I don't find it cramped (6'-2) and the weight is carried very low-very easy to handle. She had a 750 Shadow, which "felt" like less bike (more viby, less sophisticated (Bully went FE quite some time ago) and seemed a little more top heavy (from what I remember). If you find a really good deal, the 650 would make a fine starter bike that you might want to trade up from in a year or two-which is fine as long as you know that going in. But I wouldn't spend much over $2k on one, from the mid-late "00s". I would recommend a shaft drive, just to eliminate chain maintenance (granted, as another poster mentioned you can't change ratios that way).

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 07-05-2016 at 12:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 04:41 PM

643 posts, read 469,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
So 650s are small bikes now, things have changed since I rode in the 70s and a 650 Triumph or BSA or 750 Honda was considered a big bike and my 850 Guzzi a monster.
I know , when I started to ride in the late 70s we thought the Honda goldwing 1000 was a small car eng. now my Dyna 1450 is considered small

Old 07-08-2016, 05:29 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,520,232 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96
It will do highway speeds, but it is really wound up at 70 and screaming "No Mas" at 75-80.

Rejetting the carburetor and shimming the needles will help A LOT with this. Made a huge difference on my Classic, she'll now do 80+, but she used to struggle to get to 75.
Wow. I rode a Honda Rebel for 5 years, it also was wound up at 70 and screaming No Mas at 75-80. Would have thought any 650 would have no problem with such speeds.

Old 07-09-2016, 08:05 PM

18,415 posts, read 7,048,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfocused View Post
Wow. I rode a Honda Rebel for 5 years, it also was wound up at 70 and screaming No Mas at 75-80. Would have thought any 650 would have no problem with such speeds.

Yeah, I rode a KLR250 when I was younger that would do close to 90 topped out.

It really has more to do with the V-Star's gearing than how much power it makes.

Old 07-09-2016, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Is the Raider similar to a V-Rod?

I will eventually upgrade, too. There's just not much you can do to get more performance out of these bikes, unless you want to get into machine work.
Raider's styling isn't for everyone, but you could say the same for the V-Rod.

V-Rod make more power but the Raider is more than sufficient to classify it as a "muscle cruiser".

Torque is where it's at in the cruiser world anyways.

Old 07-09-2016, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
I've rode with a couple of people who rode the Vstar 650s. None of them had any issues doing 300-500 mile days and plenty of interstate. One of them is about 6'3".

Not saying it can't be done, just that there are much better bikes that will make that type of riding more comfortable and less fatiguing for not much more money.

For my money a Kawasaki Vulcan 900 or similar bike will be more useful and you won't get bored with it as fast as a V-Star 650.

Old 08-20-2016, 07:49 AM

1 posts, read 860 times
I am thinking of buying a 2005 yahama 650 this will be the first bike i have bought what are some of the things I should be looking for?

Old 08-20-2016, 11:06 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,381,478 times
A mechanic to do a pre-purchase inspection For you.

Seriously, best money you'll spend (so long as you listen to the advice/information) and can keep you Riding instead of wrenching/waiting on someone else to wrench for you.

An inherently unstable vehicle that has a higher than normal level of risk assessment, do you Really want to trust what some people on the internet tell you to check and your complete lack of experience in checking/understanding those things?

Old 09-17-2016, 08:49 PM

1 posts, read 814 times
Just wanted to comment here.

I have a 650 V Star custom, i have had it for 8 years, put over 100k miles on it, and did rings and bearings in the engine at around 110k.
Just for work alone i ride it every day approx 105 miles round trip.
I live in Florida, I've even ridden it during the hurricanes even (no i don't recommend doing that but..)

Yes, it maybe is more affect by crosswinds than an 800+ pound bike, but that goes for any vehicle, i will say it's not impossibly affected by them, just don't go installing those chrome full wheel covers, those are no fun on any bike in high winds.

To the people stating that the engine is revving to the point of imploding at 65, that is very incorrect.
The engine's ignition system has a 2 stage cut out, cuts off fuel, then cuts off ignition totally before the redline.
This happens around just about 6800 rpms, the 650 is a stroked virago 535, it is not some high rpm chain saw.
The engine is not going to explode, it is happily running in its power range

At 6800 rpms, your bike will be moving in 5th gear just shy of 110 mph when the cut out engages, if your bike is doing something different you may very well want to see a mechanic.
If your 650 is trying to self detonate at 65mph, then something is wrong.

If you can not get your 650 over 65mph then you either weigh 700 pounds, or something is wrong
and you need to see the mechanic.

The brakes are adequate, not the worst out there, but not the best either, but that can be rectified quick and easy
Change the front caliper to an R1 caliper, which bolts directly on, and it will stop very fast.
You can buy these cheaply.
I would suggest keeping the OEM rotor, or it may stop faster than you want.

The front fork springs are admittedly kind of soft all things considered, i guess trying to make a light bike ride like a heavy.
I recommend as a minimum, swapping the fork oil for ATF, and optimal grabbing a set of after market progressive springs
and using the ATF, and the forks will never dive again.
Very inexpensive to do.

Yes, the valves are mechanical, they need adjusted periodically but not frequently.
It is very easy to do, anyone can learn how, and you do not need expensive special tools.

The exhaust does NOT need touched to change the oil, that is the 1100.
The 650 you take out a few allen bolts, pull off the cover, and there is the oil filter.

It is a good bike, a durable bike, and definitely a highway worthy bike.
It is a smaller bike and lighter, So yes a person might be too tall for it and feel cramped, or it may not feel as soft
over rough roads, but that isn't because it's a crap bike.

The seat, i can't comment on, ALL factory bike seats hurt my boney ass, i just make my own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles