Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 11:09 AM

1,798 posts, read 3,021,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
I was wearing a pair of Harley Davidson engineer boots.
I just don't understand how any kind of slip on boot would even stay on in the event of a wreck. I'm thinking about some classic Timberland work boots, they make them in some beautiful leathers. I've got to look good on my bike. When I come to a stoplight and put my feet on the ground, the cars next me are going to notice my shoes.

Edit: looked at Redwing's site, love them too.

Last edited by New Horizons; 10-10-2013 at 11:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 12:38 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,724,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OdysseusNY View Post
i have weird wide feet and very few shoes/boots - even expensive ones - feel good on my feet

luckily for me, the plain old black boots at payless shoe source come in wide widths and both feel great and cover the ankles - and are easy to shift with. in fact, i prefer riding with them because they are thick, and my shifter doesn't "poke through" to my toe. on the rare occasions i ride in thinner shoes i can feel the shifter poking my toe and feel if i did it long enough, it would wear a hole in the top of the shoe

so i guess my advice is give payless a try, you might get lucky (although it's true most of their shoes are bad!)

can anyone recommend a wide width shoe that's good for riding that isn't quite as heavy duty as a full boot? there are occasion i'd like something lighter that doesn't go up quite as high - kind of like a heavyweight sneaker, but with ankle protection. or perhaps a low dress boot. but it has to come in wide widths...
I don't know if they still make them like the ones I had, but alpine stars make some boots that sound exactly like what you want.
Alpinestars S-MX 1 Motorcycle Boots - BikeBandit.com

The ones I had were all leather though and didn't have any mesh. Kind of wish they had some mesh though as they made my feet smell with no breathability.

Old 10-10-2013, 12:45 PM

2,004 posts, read 3,416,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
I just don't understand how any kind of slip on boot would even stay on in the event of a wreck. I'm thinking about some classic Timberland work boots, they make them in some beautiful leathers. I've got to look good on my bike. When I come to a stoplight and put my feet on the ground, the cars next me are going to notice my shoes.

Edit: looked at Redwing's site, love them too.
I did not specify that he buy any certain brand or type of boots. To each his own. I happen to like slip ons, and they did stay on. The broken foot was one of the least of my injuries. I had much damage to my face, head, legs, arms, neck and chest and I was wearing a helmet. I say again....dress for safety, not to look cool.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:48 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,018,326 times
When i first started riding, I used some military "jungle boots" that I had as my regular riding shoe...I nearly broke an ankle when the bike's weight shifted in a sudden stop...realize how easily I almost injured myself, I soon purchased a real set of dedicated motorcycle boots and haven't looked back.

A good friend of mine got to dance at my wedding using crutches and keeping her cast foot off the ground. She lost control of a little 125 on a residential street when learning to ride, decided to put the bike down, and the sole of her shoe got traction and twisted the foot/ankle 180° out. The pictures from the ER were a bit awkward, since she was laying face down on the table, but her foot was facing straight up like she was on her back...that really reinforced the "dedicated motorcycle designed" boots as a MUST....

The same is true for Gloves...considering I can't do much typing without my fingers...and that'd make my account go inactive.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:59 AM

1,203 posts, read 4,082,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
The same is true for Gloves...considering I can't do much typing without my fingers...and that'd make my account go inactive.
The same is true for ALL motorcycle gear, in my opinion.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:24 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,018,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raveabouttoast View Post
The same is true for ALL motorcycle gear, in my opinion.
Totally agree. I just finally purchased a set of riding pants late last year. While I know I'm not invincible, there is an extra piece of comfort in having proper gear over all parts of my body...

Jeans don't hold up to most get-off's even heavy jeans.

A cheaply made jacket will separate at the seams, most proper motorcycle jackets are double stitched to keep the jacket intact.

Good boots will provide good traction at stops and on the pegs, while providing protection for the ankle and over-extension.

Gloves protect the joints and not just abrasion like cheap leather gloves "may"...and those cheap "mechanic" gloves will shred above 20 mph as a friend demonstrated to me after his get-off.

Old 10-12-2013, 01:39 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,021,537 times
I took those Sears boots back today and got these:

Product Detail

They are the nicest, most comfortable, most handsome, and most expensive shoes I have ever owned in my lifetime. I love them.

And they're made here in the US, just like my motorcycle.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:11 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,719,834 times
I used to ride in tennis shoes but once I started doing trackdays and bought a pair of Alpinestars I never went back. It takes a while but you get used to feeling the pegs and levers through the boots which is really important for reading feedback from the tires. I wear Sidis now both at the track and on the street, best boots I've ever worn.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:54 PM

56 posts, read 92,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
I'm thinking about some classic Timberland work boots, they make them in some beautiful leathers. I've got to look good on my bike. When I come to a stoplight and put my feet on the ground, the cars next me are going to notice my shoes.
Now, that cracked me up.
Reading this thread, you make no mention of the rest of your riding gear, which naturally leads me to assume that you probably don't have any.
Now, a more recent post from you does say you took the high-top sneakers back and bought your leather boots. Good on you.
My point was regarding your high top sneakers and how they work with the rest of your gear. I have SIDI water proof touring boots and they work well with my Tourmaster riding pants and jacket. But they'd look pretty stupid on me if I'm wearing shorts and a T-shirt (which I never do).
And the boots really aren't for the cagers parked around you at a red light to admire. They don't give a _ anyway.

Old 11-12-2013, 01:18 PM

5 posts, read 30,771 times
the boot that fits best for me is army boots high wide and solid,. last me about 10 years. per pair,.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles