Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 07:59 AM

2,040 posts, read 2,449,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
I Google'd it to find out but I meant; what are they for exactly?
Don't tell me they are just decoration?
No, they supposedly bring you good luck. Or are like a protector of you and your bike.

-- Posted with TapaTalk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 09:33 AM

8,246 posts, read 13,338,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
No, they supposedly bring you good luck. Or are like a protector of you and your bike.

-- Posted with TapaTalk
Yeah, thanks. I read up on it. Funny, I have never heard of them nor seen any rider that used/had them.
I am not superstitious at all but just as decoration they do have an appeal.
Perhaps if they had them really big, we wouldn't need loud pipes?

Old 11-07-2013, 09:48 AM

I see lots of bikes around here with them. Many of my riding buddies have them too.

Then again, those same people go to those "Blessing of the Bikes" things all the time to.

I think my bike is an Atheist (like it's owner) so I never do that either.

-- Posted with TapaTalk

Old 11-07-2013, 09:57 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,401,907 times
I had one on my Harley when I had a wreck on April Fools Day 2012. As you can see, I was the fool. The bell didn't help a bit.
Fractured eye socket in two places w/40 stitches, broken foot, two bulging disks in my neck, whiplash, torn muscles in my chest, road rash, one tooth gone, split lip and a Type 3 concussion.
I was wearing a helmet.

At home.

At the emergency room.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:38 AM

Exactly slingshot! All the bells and blessing don't help when it's your turn to go down.

Although it's a PITA, that's why I wear a full face helmet too.

I have a photo of my buddy's full facer after he went down and I can only imagine how bad his face would have looked had that been his face instead of his helmet!

That must have sucked....glad you're still with us to tell the tale!

-- Posted with TapaTalk

Old 11-07-2013, 07:13 PM

2,004 posts, read 3,401,907 times
Quote:
Exactly slingshot! All the bells and blessing don't help when it's your turn to go down.

Although it's a PITA, that's why I wear a full face helmet too.

I have a photo of my buddy's full facer after he went down and I can only imagine how bad his face would have looked had that been his face instead of his helmet!

That must have sucked....glad you're still with us to tell the tale!

-- Posted with TapaTalk
Thanks. The helmet saved my life, no doubt.

Old 11-22-2013, 01:09 PM

56 posts, read 92,296 times
Quote:

-- Posted with TapaTalk
The real story behind the gremlin bell is to ward off mechanical or electrical 'gremlins'. It really has nothing to do with luck. When your bike hits a bump, the bell rings. The Gremlins can't stand the sound of the bell and it makes them lose their grip on your bike. When a gremlin falls off a bike, he makes a pothole.
It won't save you from crashing.
Chris

Old 11-22-2013, 01:44 PM

When I Googled it, there are lots of stories about the meaning/purpose they serve.

So you can ascribe to any one of those. All of them seem to have one common trait though.....good luck either mechanically or safety.

-- Posted with TapaTalk

Old 12-05-2013, 11:12 AM

8,246 posts, read 13,338,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
I had one on my Harley when I had a wreck on April Fools Day 2012. As you can see, I was the fool. The bell didn't help a bit.
Fractured eye socket in two places w/40 stitches, broken foot, two bulging disks in my neck, whiplash, torn muscles in my chest, road rash, one tooth gone, split lip and a Type 3 concussion.
I was wearing a helmet.

At home.

At the emergency room.
Ouchh! Man, it was painful just to look at your pictures! You look like a MMA fighter or someone who went a few rounds with Mike Tyson! Sucks and sorry to hear about your crash. I hope you fully recover.

Perhaps, gremlin bell ain't cutting it for you and you need something bigger like a gremlin gong?

I am curious though, was it one of those half helmets you were wearing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles