Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 08:18 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,299,285 times

Advertisements

I think it comes down to how much value you put on your head. I can only assume those who wear no helmet at all don't consider their head very important.
All racers wear the very best helmets because they know that they will go down sooner are later.
Street riders don't know if they will ever go down but I would not bet against it.

It's your head so only you know what it's worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 08:22 AM

2,265 posts, read 3,678,560 times
This is why I wear a full face helmet, all the time, no questions asked. I came out of that one black and blue with some healthy rash on my knees/legs but that was about it and a beat up knee, but my upper body was fine and my face was intact. I can't help but laugh at people that don't wear a helmet, or any other gear for that matter. My only fault is I usually ride in jeans, though I've finally picked up some kevlar ones.

Attached Thumbnails
Skateboard helmet on motorcycle?-helmet.jpg  

Old 01-05-2014, 06:52 PM

41 posts, read 51,475 times
Lol, skateboard helmet.

How much is your head worth? My "cheap" helmet is over $500, and my Arai cost a whole heck of a lot more than that.

Wear a properly-fitted full face Snell/DOT rated helmet if your life has any value to you or to anyone who cares about you.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:42 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,540,014 times
I am adding lightweight boots and impact padding to my safety gear for this summer. Jeans and heavy sandals are not enough. I'll have to add a boot dryer to the toy list to keep the boots from walking away by themselves.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:59 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,343,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I am adding lightweight boots and impact padding to my safety gear for this summer. Jeans and heavy sandals are not enough. I'll have to add a boot dryer to the toy list to keep the boots from walking away by themselves.
Er... with a couple hundred thousand miles of riding with honest solid leather MC boots in places like DC and Atlanta, it's not the boots that are an issue. Wear good quality wool socks (Darn Tough, Fox River), and wash them after a day of riding and there will be no issues.

Go fancy with Vented MC boots and you'll only have damp feet when it's raining, even on the hottest and most humid of days... well, unless you wear cotton socks in which case you should just expect to have wet feet perpetually.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:38 AM

1,798 posts, read 3,001,235 times
I went ahead and bought a half helmet called "Skid Lid". It's comfortable, and I hear my pipes better than my 3/4 helmet.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:51 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,540,014 times
Brian_M - good advice on the socks. I wear wool all winter under sandals except when it drops below about 10 deg. I'll try wool this spring and summer. Just bought a new pair of boots from Hitchcock Wide shoes. The should be broken in by riding time

OP - Most bikes have room to carry a skateboard helmet to use when you are SKATE BOARDING! Wear a decent motorcycle helmet when you are riding.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:08 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,958,901 times
Ya got a ten dollar head? Wear a ten dollar helmet!

Old 02-10-2014, 08:20 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,353,133 times
To each their own, my first few years of riding I rarely wore a helmet. I wouldnt judge anybody for doing the same, knor should anybody else. Maybe I just got old, maybe it was the kids but I started wearing a helmet all of the time all of a sudden. No conscious decision as to why.

On topic, theres no way I would wear a skateboard helmet. If I was thinking that way id rather just go with a bandana as itll offer just as little protection and its cheaper.

Nice pic ReblTeen, ive been fortunate enough to not hit the ground yet and hope I never do.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:50 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,635,595 times
I think different helmets are designed for different purposes and the foam in them is designed for different types of impact. I don't know, but I'd assume a skateboard helmet is mostly about falling down and falling onto the back of your head, since that is a common fall in skating. 75% of motorcyclist impacts are to the jaw and lower face, so get whatever helmet you want, but remember that statistic.

You can buy a good full face helmet for around $150 that is DOT, maybe Snell too, and will protect you, so price shouldn't be an issue. Comfort counts, which is why you may want a pricer helmet with more features like adjustable padding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles