Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 06:13 PM

8,996 posts, read 10,425,542 times

Advertisements

I think there is an approximately 0% chance that this won't end in tears. My first clue was the fact that the banner ad on their Facebook page features a picture of a Hayabusa.

Spyke App - A Motorcycle Ride Sharing Platform

Note to wannabe "sharing economy" entrepreneurs: just because you CAN create an app and sign up a few guinea pigs as riders and passengers, doesn't mean you SHOULD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 03:19 AM

21,678 posts, read 24,850,382 times
As if anyone is going to let strangers ride their Hayabusa =D

I wouldn't let them ride my Ninja 250, and that's a beat up workhorse. I bought it with rash on one side and proceeded to even it out by lowsiding on the other one.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:10 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,127,828 times
Wait, does 'ride share' mean letting people share the same vehicle (a la zipcar for autos), or does it mean giving a person a ride (a la Lyft, as seen on Conan)? Either way, sounds like a bad idea to me.....

Mike

Old 03-25-2014, 10:28 AM

21,678 posts, read 24,850,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
Wait, does 'ride share' mean letting people share the same vehicle (a la zipcar for autos), or does it mean giving a person a ride (a la Lyft, as seen on Conan)? Either way, sounds like a bad idea to me.....

Mike
Actually, I think you're right. It means Lyft, not Zipcar. Slightly less dumb, but I don't like riding two-up with friends either. Generally I scare the crap out of anyone on the back anyway, so I can't see that working too well. I don't even ride that fast, but if you're not used to a bike leaning more than 30 degrees (from vertical), people freak out, which is the last thing you want leaned over. Again, not really much lean angle, but it feels like it if you're not used to it. Even a Road King can do a 30 degree lean angle, although not much more.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/82050/...irst-Ride.aspx

Cruiser riders just do everything wrong. Note the upper torso fighting the turn making the worst of what limited lean angle the bike already has. Sigh.

Last edited by Malloric; 03-25-2014 at 11:06 AM..

Old 03-25-2014, 02:31 PM

8,996 posts, read 10,425,542 times
Yes, they're offering people a chance to ride b***h on total strangers' bikes for money.

Their whole pitch focuses on the fact that motorcycles get through traffic faster than cars do, but that generally only happens when riders (a) use the HOV lane or (2) lane-split and weave through traffic.

Which I do all the time one-up on my V-Strom, but the idea of doing it with some random person on the back (who might never even have been on a bike before) strikes me as, shall we say, not the brightest.

I know there are moto taxi services in London and elsewhere, but this ain't London.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:37 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,575,725 times
Strange.

I'm not letting a stranger jump on and wrap their arms around me. And I'm sure as hell not going to jump on the back of someone else's bike.

Old 03-28-2014, 04:03 AM

2 posts, read 9,972 times
Yeah.. no thanks. A person has to understand their role as a passenger (and not weigh two tons) before I ever let them ride with me. A paying stranger who weighs 200+ pounds and has never been on a bike before probably won't.

Old 07-29-2016, 11:41 AM

1 posts, read 1,356 times
I think it's a great idea. It's unusual, and would need to be run with unique requirements as this paradigm shift is coming no matter what! Yet a new industry such as this carries with it since attention to detail and safety, as all the posts i read above have some merit.

First, in the flavor of passenger/customers... there does need to be weight restrictions, along with equilibrium, blood pressure and other health related warnings, disclaimers and WAIVERS.

It's a big conversation and my comments here are basic and not meant to be all inclusive.

Pilots should also pass a test. Those who cannot or do not have the historical experience of taking riders whom have never been on the back of a bike simply should not be able to participate as a pilot.

Those more seasoned pilots, or those who are more apt to or have had the history of green passengers and have developed the muscle memory for handling different types of passenger ignorance as far as weight shifting etc... Would do just fine.

I am one of the latter type of pilots who has decades of taking people on their first ride as well as taking passengers who were scared to death from having a ride with other pilots who were not as seasoned or whom did not format their riding style for green passengers... To the point where these passengers swore they would never get on the back of a bike again and subsequently, after a ride with me... They have found comfort and excitement and a new found appreciation for two wheeled experience's.

So, The comments so far do indeed have merit as does the whole premis of this platform. I think it is worth continuing.

Old 07-31-2016, 08:44 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,299,128 times
I considered doing something like this jokingly after I started picking up my MIL from work on my bike. Still though wouldn't the passenger need to have a helmet with them to be law compliant in CA? If every question was answered on this and it was a model that made sense I would consider being a Spyke rider with my F650CS. I think it'd be kinda fun and an excuse to go out and ride more.

Old 08-01-2016, 04:28 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,459,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
I think there is an approximately 0% chance that this won't end in tears. My first clue was the fact that the banner ad on their Facebook page features a picture of a Hayabusa.

Spyke App - A Motorcycle Ride Sharing Platform

Note to wannabe "sharing economy" entrepreneurs: just because you CAN create an app and sign up a few guinea pigs as riders and passengers, doesn't mean you SHOULD.
Will they have T-shirts that read "If You Can Read This The Spyke Fell Off"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles