Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 12:12 PM

362 posts, read 557,598 times

Advertisements

Okay, so I took the motorcycle lessons and have the endorsement on my license. Now just have to go out and buy a starter bike. I am a 5'7" female with long legs and pretty athletic, so the height of the bike is not an issue.

I plan to start slow, practicing my skills until I venture out on the road, but considering the expense, I don't want the hassle of buying a bike that I quickly outgrow or am just plain unhappy with.

So my question to those good, experienced riders out there, would you recommend a cruiser or sport for a first time rider. I realize the rebel is what most everyone learns on, but looking for something with at least a 600-750 cc engine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 12:22 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,703,265 times
You could go with a sport touring type of bike. The Suzuki SV 650 is a good example. It's a more upright sitting style of bike but also has some get up and go like a sport bike would have.

I learned on a 3 year Honda CBR 600RR. It's great when you finally learn how to ride well because you don't have to upgrade, but I feel that riding a newer sport bike slows your learning because you have to respect(and almost fear it) the bike even more because the ability for it to not have you riding it anymore is very high.

Disclaimer: I don't know if that's what an SV 650 is actually classified as, it's just what I think it is classified as.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:46 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,337,858 times
Neither.

Quick backstory, I've been riding since 1992, a pro mechanic since 2000, spent 3 years chasing a roadracing title (WERA/CCS), have been an admin on a newbie oriented motorcycle forum since 2003 and generally have seen a LOT of people start out. There's a bell curve to it, meaning that there's always someone out there who did Exactly what they wanted and things turned out great, but for every one of those is one of someone who had nothing go right. Most people are in the middle somewhere.

The most important thing to realize is that your first bike is NOT your last bike.... or doesn't Have to be at least. You want to pick something that will provide you the opportunity to really learn, not just simply survive the experience. It's my personal opinion (as a 6'4" guy who's ranged from my current 230 to 290lbs) that even a little 250cc motorcycle can not be "outgrown". I've personally taken a Ninja 250 to just under 100mph while doing a speed run (racing), and have toured with one in Montana/Wyoming/Colorado where it had Zero issues maintaining 80~90mph for hours on end (elevation reduces power, think of it as the opposite of what a turbo does).

As for a specific bike, do your best to stay away from the extremes... that being sports bikes (True sports bikes, not just standards with fairings that are made to look sporty), and feet forward cruisers. For those with the confidence and inseam to do so, I always recommend dual sport bikes (street legal dirt bikes). They have a 'sit up and beg' seating position, feat very nearly directly beneath the seat, upright seating position and bars that are a comfortable positioning in front of you. It's nearly like sitting in a chair at the dining table, comfortable and neutral. If you want something that looks different, there are plenty of "sport" and "cruiser" labeled bikes that offer similar seating positions.

Forget about displacement too... a 650cc dual sport will have 36hp/34ft/lb torque, a 650 cruiser 40hp/50ft/lb torque, a 650 sport 65hp/45ft/lb torque. A 600cc sport bike is more like 100hp/60ft/lbs of torque... Personal opinion, but anything over 50hp starts putting new riders more and more into the "survive" experience instead of the "learn a good foundation of skills" experience. Just too many years of watching new riders discount hundreds of years of cumulative experience only to watch them come back with tales of woe. No one wants that. Roughly 20hp is about the bottom limit for a capable "do everything" motorcycle, below that and you start cutting into freeway travel ability. There are a Lot of motorcycles between 20 and 50hp to chose from.

You'll also want to be dead honest with yourself when thinking about the riding you're going to be doing. Most find themselves doing 80% commuting to work, but chose something inappropriate (the latest repli-racer, which are the absolute worst for in-town riding). Others will pick a monster of a touring bike (like a Goldwing) for the same in-town commute they ride 200 days of the year thinking about the one week they actually do a longer ride. The best in town bikes are lighter (under 500lbs), have wide bars and a large lock-to-lock turn radius (which allows for tighter turns if you practice them). The ability to carry items on the bike makes for a Much more comfortable ride too. But you can find bikes that fit those simple requirements in all categories of motorcycles.

TL;DR ~ don't try to buy something you'll "grow into" as your first bike should be used to learn. Stick to bikes with HP between 20~50hp and a more upright seating position. Buy for what you're Really going to be doing most of the time, not what you Hope to be doing a minority of the time.

Please keep in mind that my advice is offered in the hopes of helping you adoive the mistakes I've made, and those I've seen other make. Not because I "get" something if you agree (well, the satisfaction of knowing someone will give themselves the opportunity to have a life-long hobby instead of a short term money/health/injury pit).

Old 06-27-2014, 01:26 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,252 posts, read 4,266,209 times
Only you can decide whether to go the sport or cruiser route. I've had plenty of both types, and they are both fun for different reasons. There are great starter bikes in both categories, so don't shy away from either type. I would, however, stay away from super sports until you truly decide that's what you want.

The SV650 mentioned by a previous poster is a great example of a starter in a standard sport. Another in this realm would be a Ninja 650, both are standard sports with upright seating positions that make really good first bikes. Honda Shadows and Suzuki Intruders (not the 1400cc model) make good starters in the cruiser line. I've had both, and they offer plenty of fun.

My main suggestion would be for you to start used and get at least 10,000 miles under your belt before moving on. If you drop a used bike you won't be feeling so bad about it. Whatever you do, be safe and ride often!

Old 06-27-2014, 02:20 PM

41,478 posts, read 59,521,434 times
I suggest looking around for a 500 to 700 cc used motorcycle with the pegs directly under your seat instead of the "cruiser" forward control location. I find that configuration easier to control from a stop. Make certain it has an oil cooled clutch so you can learn how to ride very slowly while slipping the clutch. Even if you have long legs be certain the seat is low enough that you can place your heels on the ground when stopped even on sloping ground. Find a bike that fits your body so you can sit straight up without crouching or stretching your arms. Extreme riding positions are a later perversion.

When you do buy a bike take it to an empty parking lot and practice low speed riding. There are several videos available to help you learn. Once you have developed confidence take the bike out on back roads and learn how to ride in light traffic. Heavy traffic and expressways are more difficult and dangerous. Wear bright clothing so the car drivers have a better chance of seeing you.

Wear some protection. A leather jacket is a good idea but leather gloves, over the ankle boots, eye glasses and a good well fitted helmet are mandatory.

In any case take your time to learn how to ride before you go play in traffic. Stay alert and most of all have fun. I have been riding for over 40 years and still enjoy every time I take the bike out.

Old 06-27-2014, 02:48 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,111,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLgirl727 View Post
I don't want the hassle of buying a bike that I quickly outgrow or am just plain unhappy with.
Unless your last name is 'Rossi' or 'Marquez', you won't 'outgrow' anything anytime soon, even a Ninja 250 or similar.

Quote:
So my question to those good, experienced riders out there, would you recommend a cruiser or sport for a first time rider.
There's a world of bikes in between the two. Like others have mentioned, the biggest priority is the level of comfort, confidence, and control you have on the bike. Something where your feet are under you would be my recommendation (so not a cruiser), but there's no need to ride something as 'purpose-built' as a true sportbike just yet.

Without knowing your budget, recommendations are kinda tough, but the industry offers no shortage of options for bikes that most would define as a 'beginner bike', including:

Honda 250
Honda 500 (any variant)
Ninja 300
Yamaha FZ6R
Suzuki SFV650
Suzuki GW250

And that's just what is offered new, so if you're willing to go used (good idea), there's a ton more options out there.

Quote:
I realize the rebel is what most everyone learns on, but looking for something with at least a 600-750 cc engine.
Again, as has been mentioned, engine displacement can only be used for 'apples to apples' comparisons when comparing the same category of bike.

I'd stick with one of those 'in the middle' (standard) bikes, personally. To narrow that down, throw a leg over as many bikes as you can and see which one physically fits you the best. That's always the best advice. One bike will always 'speak' to you more than others.

Mike

Old 06-27-2014, 03:08 PM

11,547 posts, read 52,903,008 times
I'm in the camp with Brian M, and I've only got 30 years more than him of riding and pro mechanic experience to echo his experiences.

He's spot on re the bikes that will satisfy 90%+ of the real world riding. Your best choice in a bike will be the one that meets your routine daily riding rather than that one time planned use per year. So the extremes presented by a sport bike or a heavy cruiser aren't very practical.

IMO, you'll do best now (and maybe for the long term, too) with a middleweight bike set up for a comfortable riding position. The dual-sport type bikes present a lot of fun, utility, and practical riding experiences ... and are capable of doing everything reasonably well with decent fuel economy, costs of maintenance, and ease of servicing. Far more practical than a big cruiser or sport bike.

In time, you'll develop your skills and interests in riding. You can then focus on buying a bike that optomizes that riding experience. Like most of us, you'll go through a number of bikes in your riding progress and have your favorites with their good and bad attributes. For many of us ... having more than one bike is a real option to focus on the different types of riding we do; ie, my long distance tourer is a pain to ride for around town errands.

Keep in mind that it's all supposed to be fun. Ride safe.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
Only you can decide whether to go the sport or cruiser route. I've had plenty of both types, and they are both fun for different reasons. There are great starter bikes in both categories, so don't shy away from either type. I would, however, stay away from super sports until you truly decide that's what you want.

The SV650 mentioned by a previous poster is a great example of a starter in a standard sport. Another in this realm would be a Ninja 650, both are standard sports with upright seating positions that make really good first bikes. Honda Shadows and Suzuki Intruders (not the 1400cc model) make good starters in the cruiser line. I've had both, and they offer plenty of fun.

My main suggestion would be for you to start used and get at least 10,000 miles under your belt before moving on. If you drop a used bike you won't be feeling so bad about it. Whatever you do, be safe and ride often!
Thanks for the advice for a novice like me... I actually live a few miles from a commuter rail station parking lot (which is empty at night and on weekends) and I plan to use it for just what you suggest.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Neither.

Please keep in mind that my advice is offered in the hopes of helping you adoive the mistakes I've made, and those I've seen other make. Not because I "get" something if you agree (well, the satisfaction of knowing someone will give themselves the opportunity to have a life-long hobby instead of a short term money/health/injury pit).
Thanks for the response. I am more than careful, and am doing this for the economy vs. the thrill. Really just sick of sitting home every weekend because I don't want to use a tank of gas just to day trip somewhere.
Plus, living in FL I can really use it year round.

Old 06-28-2014, 06:14 AM

4,781 posts, read 10,530,495 times
^^^ Good rationale, but realistically you want to ride.
Dropping a couple Gs on a used scoot to learn to ride on, would buy a lot of tanks of gas for commuting/driving around seeing stuff, imo.

I also vote for used, but the cruiser vs sport decision is difficult and both types of bikes have their pros and cons.

5'7" isn't tall for 'motorcycles' imo, so I would go sit on several, or ride around the block on as many as you can. Getting a foot down and being in control in a parking lot is one thing: doing it in traffic, summer heat, a little stress, is another. Doing it after riding all day and tired, is a very different move.

Central FL: keep an eye on the kamikaze citrus trucks and the texters...we love SW FL in the winter, but I don't ride there at all. Most boring M/C riding state in the US, imo.
GL, mD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles