Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2014, 07:19 PM

2,542 posts, read 4,000,780 times

Advertisements

I'm considering adding a sled to my collection of photography gear so I can access the backcountry this winter.

Is a used sled a wise option? For point of reference I'm a big believer in buying used cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 09:20 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,722,538 times
The good thing about recreational vehicles is they generally depreciate VERY fast because a lot of the time people buy them with all the intentions of using them "every single day" and then they sit for 2 years not getting used and now they just want to get rid of it so you can pick up good condition used ones for very cheap.

If you keep up on the maintenance you can easily keep a used sled around for a long time. My dad bought a late 1980's sled in the early 90's and just with the normal maintenance and random thing that breaks here and there, it's still running fine! It can't top out 110+ like it used to but it gets into the 90's no problem.

I also recommend getting a used one because you probably don't know how much use you will actually get out of it so if you buy a new one and don't use it then you'll end up in the first category. You could buy a used one and not use it and then sell it for roughly the same price you bought it for.

Old 08-12-2014, 02:44 PM

39,856 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Snowmobiles depreciate A LOT, and quickly. Being somewhat financially challenged, I'd never buy new; there are lots of machines out there with very few miles on them, just a few years old. Are you in Bend, OR? A long-track mountain sled sounds like the ticket for you. How much do you have to spend?

Old 08-27-2014, 11:09 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,493,305 times
Yes buy a used sled. around here (new England) it baffles me that people spend 10k+ to buy brand new sleds and then only get to use them 2-3 months out of the year on a good winter..

Good condition used sleds can be had for HALF the price in perfectly running well maintained condition around here.

A sled will allow you to get to places that you could never easily get to by foot or car with ease. Some of my best photographs come from the trail. Winter is one of the most beautiful seasons in my opinion plus sleds are fun
Attached Thumbnails
Snowmobiles costs?-img_20140213_165931733-large-.jpg   Snowmobiles costs?-img_20140215_103334689-large-.jpg   Snowmobiles costs?-img_20140311_184149651_hdr-large-.jpg  

Old 09-06-2014, 06:36 AM

224 posts, read 456,245 times
I've had about 15 sleds, and never bought any new. Look for one with under 1000 miles and you should be fine. You can usually tell if they've been taken care of or abused.

I love mountain sleds, but if your just getting into it try out a few first. You might consider something like a Skandic wide track with reverse. They get around awesome, even if they're not as fun they do alot of work.

Old 09-06-2014, 09:12 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,411,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendLocal View Post
I'm considering adding a sled to my collection of photography gear so I can access the backcountry this winter.

Is a used sled a wise option? For point of reference I'm a big believer in buying used cars.
Of course it's a wise option. Just take all the same due diligence you would with any vehicle, pay someone who knows the type of machine for a pre-purchase inspection so you know what's wrong with it/what it needs.

There are different Kinds of sleds too.... my folks bought a couple of sleds designed more for groomed trails off of the US Forest Service because they really needed a couple that were better suited to open snow. That's not to say they can't be used in non-groomed areas (just like a 2wd car can tackle dirt roads just fine), they are just closer to the limits and harder to use.

You may be better off finding a rental if this will be your first winter, just to see if it's something you Really do. I had access to a couple sleds for 2 months this past winter and went out... twice. On the other hand, I was on snowshoes or skis 5~6 days a week (with camera). Just shook out that way for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles