Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 09:11 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,946,996 times

Advertisements

I was 18 when I got my first bike. Still lived at home at the time. Your mileage may vary, but here's what I did:

Borrowed a friends bike, took the exam, and got the endorsement. Went home, my mom asked me what I did that day (I had been gone all morning and most of the afternoon). I asked her if I could explain something to her, and if she could hold her judgement until I finished. I explained that I went to get my motorcycle endorsement, and was considering getting a motorcycle. Told her that she knew I was responsible, and I only wanted a bike because I could park anywhere on campus, would spend 1/4 what I was spending on fuel, and insurance was cheaper. Said I was looking into a Ninja 250 (the 300 wasn't out at the time), and other small displacement bikes -- because I was just buying for fuel economy and parking. Told her I would spend my own money on the bike, and would ride with full safety gear, and that the only real danger was the other drivers on the road. I probably explained my case for about 10 minutes.

Finally, my mom looks at me and says "Ok, but I won't let you get a bike under 600cc. I want you to have the power to get away from the idiots on the road if you need to." ...I literally had no idea how to respond. My mom doesn't know the difference between a V8 and a 4 cylinder, I still don't know how she knew what a "600cc" was.

If, in the last 22 years, you've proven to be responsible (safe driver, good student, etc), and you explain the benefits of being on 2 wheels, and acknowledge the dangers (and explain how you'll mitigate them), hopefully your parents will be fine. If it doesn't work, don't push it. Their house, their rules.

EDIT: In response to the skydiving comment -- my dad was the first one to push me out of an airplane (the day I got off crutches, no less)... So my family might not be the best example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 10:57 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab591 View Post
I was 18 when I got my first bike. Still lived at home at the time. Your mileage may vary, but here's what I did:

Borrowed a friends bike, took the exam, and got the endorsement. Went home, my mom asked me what I did that day (I had been gone all morning and most of the afternoon). I asked her if I could explain something to her, and if she could hold her judgement until I finished. I explained that I went to get my motorcycle endorsement, and was considering getting a motorcycle. Told her that she knew I was responsible, and I only wanted a bike because I could park anywhere on campus, would spend 1/4 what I was spending on fuel, and insurance was cheaper. Said I was looking into a Ninja 250 (the 300 wasn't out at the time), and other small displacement bikes -- because I was just buying for fuel economy and parking. Told her I would spend my own money on the bike, and would ride with full safety gear, and that the only real danger was the other drivers on the road. I probably explained my case for about 10 minutes.

Finally, my mom looks at me and says "Ok, but I won't let you get a bike under 600cc. I want you to have the power to get away from the idiots on the road if you need to." ...I literally had no idea how to respond. My mom doesn't know the difference between a V8 and a 4 cylinder, I still don't know how she knew what a "600cc" was.

If, in the last 22 years, you've proven to be responsible (safe driver, good student, etc), and you explain the benefits of being on 2 wheels, and acknowledge the dangers (and explain how you'll mitigate them), hopefully your parents will be fine. If it doesn't work, don't push it. Their house, their rules.

EDIT: In response to the skydiving comment -- my dad was the first one to push me out of an airplane (the day I got off crutches, no less)... So my family might not be the best example.
LOL.

And then there's that my under 600cc bike from the '90s will do about ~155, 0-60 in the low 3s stock (and it's not). That's slow compared to what most sub-600cc bikes do these days. Bonestock CBR600RR (599 cc) will run 170+ nowadays, although definitely not with my fat ass on them. I had a first gen GSX in high school though because my rules were it had to be less than six cylinders! Fine, doesn't mean it won't run low 12s.

Old 12-17-2014, 01:58 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,971,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smisk View Post
Thanks for the good advice! I'm definitely going to take MSF and am leaning towards something like a Ninja 300 for my first bike.
MSF is time well spent. I like dual sports better for beginning riders for their forgiving nature and better riding position. The Ninja is a good choice too. A 300 is still faster than most cars but is way more forgiving than something bigger. learn to ride aware and be safe. Wear good safety gear. Don't be a squid and you'll be fine.

Old 12-17-2014, 03:41 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,946,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
LOL.

And then there's that my under 600cc bike from the '90s will do about ~155, 0-60 in the low 3s stock (and it's not). That's slow compared to what most sub-600cc bikes do these days. Bonestock CBR600RR (599 cc) will run 170+ nowadays, although definitely not with my fat ass on them. I had a first gen GSX in high school though because my rules were it had to be less than six cylinders! Fine, doesn't mean it won't run low 12s.
I showed my mom the specs of a Ninja 250, and explained that it was faster than the car I was driving -- more than enough for me. She gave in and agreed that the 250 was a good option.

Unfortunately haven't had a bike since moving out to AZ. Been eyeing the Ninja 300 (fits me like a glove, and I didn't enjoy having a carb on the 250R), as well as the new Honda CB500F... Though now Honda released a CB300F. The choices!

Old 12-17-2014, 04:27 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Most people I work with judged me for riding my motorcycle yesterday. They said I was crazy. Of course, I'm in northern Idaho, it's December and it was 25*.

Old 12-18-2014, 04:22 PM

6,736 posts, read 4,418,450 times
This goes back a few decades. I was judged, but in a good way. Have a bike, and girls just want a ride. They loved it. Made more friends that way.

Old 12-18-2014, 06:43 PM

231 posts, read 587,439 times
Im got my first sportbike back in 1990 and didnt tell my parents I got one just because I didnt want the discussion/arguement. Ive been riding sportbikes now for over 20 years and consider myself an expert rider. My parents know I ride but even to this day my Mom is worried every time I tell her (via text) that Im going for a ride.
Live your life but just know that most parents will never give you the thumbs up even after years of riding.
Words of advice:
1) Definitely get your endorsement
2) Ride your own ride--trying to keep up with an experience group of riders is a recipe for disaster.
3) NEVER drink and ride--even one beer can impare judgement and it takes all of your skills to make the right decisions with speed, lean angle, accident avoidance etc. This includes bringing a passenger along that has been drinking or using drugs. Dont do it.
4) Always wear your gear

Old 12-20-2014, 02:54 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,838,848 times
When you look at the majority of motorcycle accidents, you see a couple things stand out glaringly...

27% of motorcyclists killed in 2012 were .08 or higher BAC. And about another 5% had elevated BAC but below .08.

42% of riders killed in single-vehicle crashes had .08 or higher BAC.

24% of riders killed did not have a motorcycle endorsement. This points to the general lack of riding experience.

And there is a huge disparity of usage of safety gear/apparel out there. Helmet usage is lowest in the south (around 60%) and highest out west (nearly 80%).

So if you're trying to convince parents/family you're not going to wind up a statistic, I would follow WANative's advice AND explain that to your family.

Also, don't run out and buy the fastest bike you can buy. If your first bike at 22 is a GSXR1000 or Hayabusa because "it's the best...why would I want anything less?", then I would posit that you're not yet mature enough to ride. Also, riding tip #4 above is critical. BUDGET THE MONEY for good gear, just just cheapo stuff. And follow the ATGATT (All The Gear, All The Time) rule.

See...following all of our collective advice isn't going to save you if someone in a car pulls out in front of you when you're doing 50 on a city street or T-boned at an intersection...but if you become a mature, clear headed rider who learns how to ride (MSF, track school, etc) and wears proper gear and doesn't ride above your head, you are SO less likely to be "that guy" who gets taken out because you weren't paying attention (didn't know better, not riding defensively, etc).

Old 12-20-2014, 06:10 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,125,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoonalt View Post
MSF is time well spent. I like dual sports better for beginning riders for their forgiving nature and better riding position. The Ninja is a good choice too. A 300 is still faster than most cars but is way more forgiving than something bigger. learn to ride aware and be safe. Wear good safety gear. Don't be a squid and you'll be fine.
You have to take the MSF if you want a motorcycle endorsement license. I had to pay over $200 in Florida for the MSF course.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:27 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,418,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
You have to take the MSF if you want a motorcycle endorsement license.
Good grief, you spouted that complete ignorance LAST time and I proved it wrong:

//www.city-data.com/forum/36304188-post33.html

Just in case you need a refresher. Yes, YOU, in your Specific situation, needed to take the course. Given that the OP is in Virginia, and that state is like the Vast majority in not having the same requirement, he will not "have to" take the course.

And your cost is Only relevant for Florida, some states completely subsidize the entire course so it's free while others offer no subsidy at all and the cost is $350~400.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles