Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 11:11 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I'm thinking the dude who "caught" the thief would be charged with something. If the thief was injured, he could be sued for everything he has.

WATCH: Motorcycle Thief Gets A Double Serving Of Instant Justice | Brett 'Bside' Matthews on 101-3 The Brew

I think that people who sustain injuries during the commission of a crime shouldn't be able to sue.

You steal a bike, break into a house, assault a person, etc., you're asking for an ***-whooping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2016, 05:32 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,474,064 times
I was saddened to read the news reports today of a 66-year old Kansas rider, Larry Weaver, who was apparently murdered after confronting criminals stealing his HD from the parking lot of a motel in Missouri. RIP Mr. Weaver.

Pittsburg man's body found - News - Morning Sun - Pittsburg, KS

Old 07-04-2016, 03:23 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,243,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
As a retired cop, I can tell you that a person can use "reasonable force" to stop a felony in progress. As a first-responding officer on scene I would certainly not have arrested the guy who was trying to recover his own bike, and I would have likely written a report that would have led the D.A.'s office to be disinclined to file any charges against the theft victim. Had he shot the guy, that would be another story. But to simply do what he did IMO is a reasonable use of force. I did not seem the victim dodging vehicular traffic or endangering children in his pursuit of the stolen bike, or any mitigating circumstance that would led me to believe he was being reckless in his attempt to recover the stolen bike.

Just my opinion...other cops may disagree.
I agree. Retired 30 year LEO and no way I would have arrested the owner. He committed a reasonable act to stop this thief IMO.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:23 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
I think that people who sustain injuries during the commission of a crime shouldn't be able to sue.

You steal a bike, break into a house, assault a person, etc., you're asking for an ***-whooping.
I agree and would add that a trespasser who gets hurt on someone else's property (trips over some tools or lumber or whatever lying around) also be prohibited from sueing.

Common sense is better than perverse legalities.

Ditto for the witnesses to the beating that another person posted told of earlier--sometimes frontier justice is the only way to go.

Old 07-22-2016, 09:10 AM

3,366 posts, read 1,606,149 times
Not quite the same situation, but in some states it is legal to defend your personal property with deadly force.
I really have no love for thieves, so I can't argue with that, much.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:30 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
I agree and would add that a trespasser who gets hurt on someone else's property (trips over some tools or lumber or whatever lying around) also be prohibited from sueing.
I agree 110%, as I have stated numerous times before.

Unfortunately, there is a multitude of greedy, unscrupulous ambulance-chasers that does not agree with us.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:35 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,610,481 times
Lol. He clearly kicks the bike, but I'm ok with that.

Old 09-10-2016, 01:54 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986pacecar
Pretty hard to feel sorry for the thief but you are right, if he was injured that dude would be in a world of trouble.
Da pretty messed up isnt it??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles