Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 02:33 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times

Advertisements

I'm a little bored so humor me. What brand and type of helmet do you like?

Personally, I like full face helmets, I've had a few different brands BELL, Shoe, HJC AGV and Sedici. I just tried out a Bilt modular, I like the field of view, it felt like an open face helmet, it had blue tooth also but it gave me a head ache in the back of my head and my ears hurt from the speaker pockets. I ended up with a SEDICI modular, it's real comfortable so far so I will see how I like the modular part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 05:46 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times
I'm a fan of the (now discontinued) Arai Quantum. It has the most round profile ever offered in the US and fit my head the best of anything else offered. Wearing other brands gave me different intensity headaches after different stretches of time. Sadly, Arai no long offers a round profile helmet and I'm not aware of any other high end (meaning a liner that's comfortable for multiple 14-hour days in a row and vents that Actually function/close) helmet that meets my requirements. I'm about 3 years out from needing a new lid... unless this one gets taken out in a crash, and am hoping to find a replacement before then.

I don't do modular/flip front helmets because I simply don't trust them. Combine that with the huge percentage of accidents where the chin takes a big hit (it was the #1 most frequently hit spot in the reports I've seen). Similarly, I don't do bluetooth (don't own anything that does) or communications in helmet so no need for any of that junk.

Heck, as far as that goes, I tend to buy plain white helmets because they're typically cheapest (though I'll consider other colors, have a blue one now because it was cheapest). It clashes with everything (green Aerostich, yellow bike), but that doesn't even register on my radar of things that I think about.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:59 AM

3,042 posts, read 5,001,639 times
I have no problem finding helmets that fit, so I go with a cheap full face, non-modular that I replace every year. Whatever is cheap as long as it is US and Europe safety approved.

Old 07-07-2015, 10:29 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
Helmets are like boots, I have many in the closet to choose from.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:43 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Scorpion EX-500, but it's coming up on the five year mark so I'm looking at replacing it. I might try seeing what all the fuss is about Schuberth. Quiet is good, my head is pretty much intermediate to slightly long oval so most everything fits. No problems in comfort with the Scorpion but the face shield never made a firm seal that's only gotten worse as the poor build quality in the quick release wore out. I've solved the constant blast of air and rattling by putting some felt ontop of the gasket where it doesn't seal but now it really doesn't seal and leaks like no one's business if I'm in the rain. I'm a wimpy fair weather rider, but everyone gets caught in rain occasionally.

Old 07-07-2015, 03:56 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,760,644 times
Having an elongated noggin as I do the only helmet I can wear without making adjustments is a Arai Signet. Why other manufacturers can't make elongated ovals is beyond me.

Old 07-07-2015, 05:56 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,115 times
I have an Icon right now, because I like the graphic, but Shoei fits my head better and is quieter, made better. I gave the Shoei to a kid wo bought a bike of mine because I didnt want him to ride it without a helmet.
Sport Rider or some such magazine did a test on helmets a while ago, I cant remember too much about it, but a regular old cheapo Bell full face beat everything else out in all the stuff they put them through.

Old 07-07-2015, 06:03 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
I don't do modular/flip front helmets because I simply don't trust them. Combine that with the huge percentage of accidents where the chin takes a big hit (it was the #1 most frequently hit spot in the reports I've seen). Similarly, I don't do bluetooth (don't own anything that does) or communications in helmet so no need for any of that junk.

Heck, as far as that goes, I tend to buy plain white helmets because they're typically cheapest (though I'll consider other colors, have a blue one now because it was cheapest). It clashes with everything (green Aerostich, yellow bike), but that doesn't even register on my radar of things that I think about.
This new company that rat bike ppl like, called Biltwell has exact copies of old style american Bell full face helmets Im going to try next. I remember that was the helmet to have in the old days of short track racing . . . Easy to paint to match your 250 Astro or Champion framed YZ- lol
I dont do communications either. Thats why I get on the bike in the first place, to tune that stuff out. The rumble of the motor is a great sound.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:36 PM

3,042 posts, read 5,001,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
This new company that rat bike ppl like, called Biltwell has exact copies of old style american Bell full face helmets Im going to try next. I remember that was the helmet to have in the old days of short track racing . . . Easy to paint to match your 250 Astro or Champion framed YZ- lol
I dont do communications either. Thats why I get on the bike in the first place, to tune that stuff out. The rumble of the motor is a great sound.
I have a Biltwell. They're nice. The interior crossstitch is very comfortable.

Old 07-08-2015, 01:32 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,839,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post

The older modular helmets were lacking, as they used plastic locking mechanisms in some models. I ran track days and track schools for many years, and we didn't allow them originally. When more manufacturers upgraded the locking mechanism to steel bolts and cams, they got better.

And yes...something like 35% of all helmet impacts are to the front/left or front/right chinbar area. One reason why I'll never wear a 1/2 or 3/4 helmet. I own a shop in the MC industry, and just recently there was a vehicle-vs-bike accident in front of my shop, and the people were wearing 3/4 helmets, and sustained very serious head injuries that I believe would have been mostly avoided with a properly sized and strapped on full face helmet. While I live in a no-helmet-law state, I certainly promote full face helmets to my customers as often as I can.

So for running around town, I have an HJC IS-Max 2. (IS-MAX 2 Style)
It's a really nicely built helmet, and I recommend these to our customers and we sell quite a few of them.

For most of my non-errand riding, I wear an Arai Signet Q (I have two of them). I like these because they're great with my rider-to-passenger intercom headsets, and most of my non-errand riding is 2-up. (I have several daughters who like to ride with me)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles