Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What bike?
Sportbike 10 17.54%
Standard 8 14.04%
Supermoto 1 1.75%
Sport Touring 5 8.77%
Touring/Dresser 6 10.53%
Cruiser/Chopper (Harley, Indian, etc) 8 14.04%
Cruiser/Chopper (Japanese/metric) 2 3.51%
ADV (street oriented, e.g. V-Strom, Versys, etc) 6 10.53%
ADV (dirt oriented, e.g. GS, DRZ, etc) 6 10.53%
Scooter 8 14.04%
Trike 0 0%
Custom/Other 1 1.75%
Classic/Vintage 3 5.26%
ATV/UTV 8 14.04%
Dirt/MX/SX 1 1.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 05:50 PM

3,040 posts, read 4,998,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Just picked up a BMW R1100RS!
Bought in another state, an epic ride home filled with rain, wrecks and all kinds of other stuff to test ones mad skills
Didnt get to lane-split though--lol
This bike is --H E A V Y-- Yoweeee
I am seriously going to have to work on the lo-speed stuff. It's seriously hard to manuever at slow speeds. Thats the only thing I dont like about it so far.
Welcome to the world of BMW, the R1100 and the K1200LT are both top heavy bikes, so take some time to learn the slo-speed stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 06:10 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,657,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
Welcome to the world of BMW, the R1100 and the K1200LT are both top heavy bikes, so take some time to learn the slo-speed stuff.
Thanks TerryJ!!! Ive had Harleys, so Im no stranger to weight, but the BMW is so different, it definitely humbled me as a rider . Im getting a little more familiar with it, mostly feathering the clutch in lo-speed corners and such, and its coming . . . Like a Harley, it has a purr all of it's own. I love the organic, visceral feeling this thing has at 70-80mph. Like an old DC-3. So comfortable on the highway too . . . I can see why people like them for long rides

Old 09-16-2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Thanks TerryJ!!! Ive had Harleys, so Im no stranger to weight, but the BMW is so different, it definitely humbled me as a rider . Im getting a little more familiar with it, mostly feathering the clutch in lo-speed corners and such, and its coming . . . Like a Harley, it has a purr all of it's own. I love the organic, visceral feeling this thing has at 70-80mph. Like an old DC-3. So comfortable on the highway too . . . I can see why people like them for long rides
I like BMW's, however, I ride a Gold Wing, my second choice was a BMW but my wife didn't like the passenger comfort the BMW offers. The Gold Wing is a heavy bike, 980 pounds, the bike is balanced very well with the flat 6 engine makes the center of gravity lower than those of twin v's. Slow speed handling can be a challenge but once you understand the dynamics it's very easy to handle. As far as long trips go, I do think the Gold Wing has them all beat, followed up by BMW. I normally ride 2 up so comfort for the wife is very important, it is nothing for us to log 500 miles a day while on a long distance trip. If it was just me doing the riding I would most likely own a K1600GTL.

Old 09-16-2015, 03:45 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,319,291 times
Quote:
Just picked up a BMW R1100RS!
Good luck with it!

Quote:
I love the organic, visceral feeling this thing has at 70-80mph.
Sounds good. It's not a sterile feeling.

Quote:
I like BMW's, however, I ride a Gold Wing, my second choice was a BMW but my wife didn't like the passenger comfort the BMW offers.

If it was just me doing the riding I would most likely own a K1600GTL.

The newer ones haven't been the greatest with reliability.

Old 09-16-2015, 07:42 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,657,461 times
Quote:
I like BMW's, however, I ride a Gold Wing, my second choice was a BMW but my wife didn't like the passenger comfort the BMW offers. The Gold Wing is a heavy bike, 980 pounds, the bike is balanced very well with the flat 6 engine makes the center of gravity lower than those of twin v's. Slow speed handling can be a challenge but once you understand the dynamics it's very easy to handle. As far as long trips go, I do think the Gold Wing has them all beat, followed up by BMW. I normally ride 2 up so comfort for the wife is very important, it is nothing for us to log 500 miles a day while on a long distance trip. If it was just me doing the riding I would most likely own a K1600GTL.
I love those 'Wings ~ New respect for guys that ride them, for sure . . .
The one I really like is an FB6 or something like that. It has a little chopped of windshield. At a bike nite tonite, I saw this InSaNe looking Victory bike!!! Krazy Buck Rogers styling from the 50's or something. I really liked it! Couldn't imagine riding it through town though, but you guys do! Big props

Old 09-17-2015, 09:27 AM

Thunderkat, the F6B are a stripped down Gold wing, nice rides if you just ride 1 up, they still have the power of a GL1800. I do believe that the Gold Wing/F6B power plant is the best motorcycle engine to ever be installed in a motorcycle. It is reliable, powerful and has plenty of torque and if taken care of will last for 200,000 miles plus.

CuriousGeorge, the reliability issue with the K1600GTL was one of the driving reasons for buying the Gold Wing. I was set on buying the BMW until I started reading the BMW forums and see all the problems they were complaining about. This is my third Gold Wing so I do understand all the issues with this bike and most of them are just superficial. I do like the looks of the K1600GTL but looks alone will not get you down the road.

Old 09-17-2015, 04:40 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,319,291 times
CuriousGeorge, the reliability issue with the K1600GTL was one of the driving reasons for buying the Gold Wing. I was set on buying the BMW until I started reading the BMW forums and see all the problems they were complaining about. This is my third Gold Wing so I do understand all the issues with this bike and most of them are just superficial. I do like the looks of the K1600GTL but looks alone will not get you down the road.[/quote]

I don't know why BMW is having trouble with reliability. I think most of their bike models have reliability issues. IIRC, the K1600GTL is fairly new but their other models aren't.

I guess a person have have character or reliability but not both. BMW/HD=character/unreliable. Big4=bland(relatively)/reliable. I don't know how reliable Ducati has been recently.

The K1600GTL is powerful but I'd take the tourer with the boxer engine.

Last edited by curiousgeorge5; 09-17-2015 at 04:44 PM.. Reason: Add comments

Old 09-20-2015, 12:09 AM

250 posts, read 1,118,680 times
Currently riding a 1994 DR350SE, but I've owned 30 bikes or so over the past decade. The DR is fun out in the mountains by my house, but I mostly just commute on it to save on fuel costs. I definitely don't enjoy riding as much as I used to, but the times have changed for me. I've got a 2 year old now, a lot of my riding buddies have moved away and, my business has helped me lose interest as well. I buy wrecked motorcycles from insurance auctions and private sellers and part them out. There's only so many "bio-hazard" stickers you can take off these things before it starts to sway your thinking about riding in traffic.

Old 09-21-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inderocker View Post
Currently riding a 1994 DR350SE, but I've owned 30 bikes or so over the past decade. The DR is fun out in the mountains by my house, but I mostly just commute on it to save on fuel costs. I definitely don't enjoy riding as much as I used to, but the times have changed for me. I've got a 2 year old now, a lot of my riding buddies have moved away and, my business has helped me lose interest as well. I buy wrecked motorcycles from insurance auctions and private sellers and part them out. There's only so many "bio-hazard" stickers you can take off these things before it starts to sway your thinking about riding in traffic.
I think that if I did the job you do, I'd also be thinking twice about riding. I have a friend who is an EMT, he said he would never ride a motorcycle, he said that after all the accidents he has seen you couldn't pay him enough to ride a motorcycle.

I try and ride smart, I don't over ride my skill level and I know my limits. It's just all the other crazies on the road that I have to watch out for.

Old 09-21-2015, 10:34 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
Quote:
Thunderkat, the F6B are a stripped down Gold wing, nice rides if you just ride 1 up, they still have the power of a GL1800. I do believe that the Gold Wing/F6B power plant is the best motorcycle engine to ever be installed in a motorcycle. It is reliable, powerful and has plenty of torque and if taken care of will last for 200,000 miles plus.
Well kinda!
The F6B is also known as a Valkyrie. The Goldwing purists hate us Valk riders and the Valkyries. No fake gas tank with a plastic tank under the seat, Valkyries have real steel tank on top. The original Valkyries have 6 carburetors instead of fuel injection and a different cam. The current F6B is fuel injected but is a very different bike than Goldwings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles