Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 07:01 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloppyRunner View Post
We'll offer lane splitting priveleges to other vehicles as soon as it's physically possible. I have no sense of entitlement; my lane splitting would affect you only POSITIVELY in that traffic would be less backed up.

NO, THE VIDEOS YOU POSTED DO NOT CLEARLY SHOW THAT. Did you even bother reading my post above? You posted videos of a couple of idiot speed racers, and I showed you a couple videos of a couple idiots in cars who can't pay attention and rear-ended motorcyclists. Luckily in those two cases the motorcyclists survived. Simply posting videos of a lane splitter making a stupid decision is NOT conclusive proof that lane splitting is unsafe.

I guess I'm done, I can't argue with someone without basic reading comprehension skills.
The best way to stop the speed racing is to stop the lane splitting. If the biker can't move faster then the flow of traffic, then he can't speed race.

Anyway the idiot thing the bikers did in those videos was not speed racing, it was lane splitting. If they weren't lane splitting, then there would have been no collision.

Here is the thing, if you want to illegally lane split past me in traffic, I could care less. But if I change lanes and hit you while you are doing it, I want the liability to be 100% on you. The government should not endorse or encourage your unsafe act.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 08:15 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,657,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
The best way to stop the speed racing is to stop the lane splitting. If the biker can't move faster then the flow of traffic, then he can't speed race.

Anyway the idiot thing the bikers did in those videos was not speed racing, it was lane splitting. If they weren't lane splitting, then there would have been no collision.

Here is the thing, if you want to illegally lane split past me in traffic, I could care less. But if I change lanes and hit you while you are doing it, I want the liability to be 100% on you. The government should not endorse or encourage your unsafe act.
Car people think the world revolves around them, and they can do no wrong. It's all about them and their perceived sense of self-importance and 'hurry'. Sadly, thats the way it is, it seems.
If you hit a ped, just say they walked in front of you. Hit a bicycle rider, yeah . . . he swerved into you. Change lanes without looking and hit a motorcycle, blame him-"lane splitting". It's all about you

Old 08-21-2015, 08:40 PM

281 posts, read 368,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post

You're right, if the biker can't move faster thAn the flow of traffic, then he can't speed race. Instead, he can be sandwiched between two 2500-6000 pound pieces of metal when one rear-ends another.

You're talking without any sense of logic. Let's examine my videos, using your logic. What "idiot thing" did the car drivers in my videos do? Using your logic, it was driving, and if they wouldn't have been driving, there would have been no collision. Take them off the road, that's the solution I tell you!

Old 08-21-2015, 10:20 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Car people think the world revolves around them, and they can do no wrong. It's all about them and their perceived sense of self-importance and 'hurry'. Sadly, thats the way it is, it seems.
That from somebody who is looking for a "special" driving privilege, that is not afforded to other vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
If you hit a ped, just say they walked in front of you. Hit a bicycle rider, yeah . . . he swerved into you. Change lanes without looking and hit a motorcycle, blame him-"lane splitting". It's all about you
I do look, in my mirror and over my shoulder, just like the manual says. I look for a space to move over, and I do it very well. I have never hit another vehicle when changing lanes. But I cannot be accountable for some lane splitting biker coming up the center line at 60 mph, while I'm changing lanes. Nobody can be.

Old 08-26-2015, 05:41 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,693,023 times
Some people shouldn't have drivers license if they really can't account a responsible lane splitter. Only a minority of motorcycles lane split at 60+ and that's only on the freeway so the speed differential isn't as bad as say in a traffic jam.

Screw taking away the licenses. I hope these people don't breed.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:19 PM

3,700 posts, read 4,844,822 times
Simple! One lane, one vehicle! Whats so difficult about that. Wait your turn! Learned that back in grade school. At least most of us did. And for you motorcyclists out there. Your not special. Lane splitting is stupid and dangerous, it doesn't take rocket science to figure that out.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:03 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,693,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
Simple! One lane, one vehicle! Whats so difficult about that. Wait your turn! Learned that back in grade school. At least most of us did. And for you motorcyclists out there. Your not special. Lane splitting is stupid and dangerous, it doesn't take rocket science to figure that out.
You're not your. I learned that back in grade school too.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:25 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,835,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
Once again, you're welcome to your own opinion and observed anecdotal life experiences, but the huge study done for CHP by UC Berkeley shows that just the opposite is true. Apart from the tiny percentage of crazies who make all bikers look bad (which is the case with just about every segment of society), most of us actually exemplify the results of the study.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:57 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
The misinformation about lane splitting in the US is baffling. Go to any other country and see how much it is a normal and accepted practice. People don't even think twice about it.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:04 PM

281 posts, read 368,097 times
I'm thinking a lot of the "wait your turn" people are the same people who don't understand the zipper merge...

Not to further complicate this thread...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles