Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 05:49 AM

9,460 posts, read 10,779,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloppyRunner View Post
If it's common sense, then we shouldn't need to legislate it. I'll never be caught riding without a helmet, but I'll never advocate for a law requiring it.

I could not agree with this more, and the same goes for seatbelts in cars. We don't need anymore government in our lives, nor do we need laws regarding these issues. Most people value their lives and will wear helmets and seatbelts. For those who don't it is their life, and the consequences if they wreck are theirs as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 09:20 AM

3,037 posts, read 4,993,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Because we have far too many "Nanny" laws already? Hell, half the laws on the books aren't enforced to begin with and adding a new one would only turn law abiding citizens into criminals.

I say this from the standpoint of one who's only worn full-face helmets and has only gone without once in 20+ years (went around the block in AZ once to see, holy hll it was uncomfortable). I think those who don't wear helmets and die because of it are no great loss, complete idiots. It's a fantastic idea, but making it law is just as ignorant as opting not to wear one... Just like seatbelt laws. Nanny laws (aka Mommy and Daddy laws, because they are forced treatment of everyone like they are a child who can't decide for themselves) have precisely ZERO positive value.
Same. I ride with earplugs and the Aerostitch if I'm going to be riding over 40mph. Always a full face.

Anyone else is free to do as they wish. What business is it of anyone else what people wear or do not wear?

Old 09-01-2015, 09:24 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,812,990 times
[quote=IShootNikon;40852092]I'm curious why there isn't a federal mandatory helmet law for all motorcyclists regardless of age.

This is just common sense. I just shake my head every time I see a motorcyclist riding wihtout a helmet.

Because traffic laws are the function/responsibility of state and local guments. Chapter 3: Federalism and the Separation of Powers | American Government, Brief 12e: W. W. Norton StudySpace and...if they want to go to the happy hunting ground early...it is up to them.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:32 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,354,946 times
[quote=Pretzelogik;41040803]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
I'm curious why there isn't a federal mandatory helmet law for all motorcyclists regardless of age.

This is just common sense. I just shake my head every time I see a motorcyclist riding wihtout a helmet.

Because traffic laws are the function/responsibility of state and local guments. Chapter 3: Federalism and the Separation of Powers | American Government, Brief 12e: W. W. Norton StudySpace and...if they want to go to the happy hunting ground early...it is up to them.
Some of the reason is because the government/police tried to regulate bikes right off the road and as a result the motorcyclists formed rights organizations and began to have rallies. Then business owners realized they weren't all druggies and had money to spend...but didn't want to spend it in helmet law states. States have an incentive to keep it that way, if they want the money.

I bet you shake your head a lot.

Old 09-02-2015, 01:23 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,688,020 times
[quote=madison999;41049209]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post

Some of the reason is because the government/police tried to regulate bikes right off the road and as a result the motorcyclists formed rights organizations and began to have rallies. Then business owners realized they weren't all druggies and had money to spend...but didn't want to spend it in helmet law states. States have an incentive to keep it that way, if they want the money.

I bet you shake your head a lot.
Exactly imagine if South Dakota tried to make a universal mandatory helmet law? Either two things will happen.

1. The organizers of Sturgis would be at the Capital getting ready to hand over paperwork of the business made during the rally.

2. The Festival would die a slow death due to the bad PR.

You have to remind people sometimes that they must remember who butters your bread. South Dakota isn't bountiful enough economically to forsake the riders who are patrons. People come there from across the continent with plenty of money to spend.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:14 PM

424 posts, read 429,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
The simple answer to this question is: It is a State issue and not a federal government issue. Each state can make its own laws regarding driving.

I do agree with you on helmet usage, I would never ride a motorcycle without a helmet. The brain is a terrible thing to waste and my opinion on helmet usage is this: If you ride a motorcycle and don't wear a helmet then you most likely don't have much up there to protect anyway.
Guilty as charged! LOL.

I've been riding for years and never wear a helmet. I maintain that they drastically curtail peripheral vision AND hearing, which to be are vital input senses to have on a bike. I guess I'm guilty of egoism too, always saying "I'm never gonna crash anyway; I'm too good of a rider." And yeah, I DO watch those damn cars, man/ I assume I am invisible out there and they DO NOT see me. Like if a car is waiting to turn left in front of me while I am oncoming and have the right of way (this, BTW is by FAR the most common type of MC/car collision) I assume that he's gonna go! I get my right fingers and right foot ready on those breaks.)

I have no other excuses---I've always been an adrenaline junkie. (My ex-wife used to take it a step further and accuse me of harboring a death wish!) LOL

To all you motorists out there reading this who DO watch for us bikers....THANK YOU!!!

Old 09-05-2015, 07:59 AM

899 posts, read 1,013,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloppyRunner View Post
I'll never be caught riding without a helmet, but I'll never advocate for a law requiring it.

Old 09-07-2015, 05:51 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,223,165 times
After a 10 year string of Bike Week visits i got to thinking i was the only guy who attended this event that actually wore a helmet.
35 years of bike riding and To date i've never heard a logical argument to support the practice of not wearing a helmet.

Old 09-07-2015, 06:31 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,153,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
I'm curious why there isn't a federal mandatory helmet law for all motorcyclists regardless of age.
Because no politician has figured out how to use the passage of a helmet law to get re-elected.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:16 AM

114 posts, read 265,120 times
This is where the camel's nose makes its appearance under the tent...via healthcare.

Without socialized medicine, your decisions affect you, and those closest to you. With socialized medicine quickly becoming the norm, I have a financial interest in your not being seriously injured.

Thus, it becomes "within my rights" to legislate every aspect of your behavior, whether it be a helmet, eating a bag of chips, or smoking in your own home.

I tend to default to individual liberty and responsibility in most instances. Unfortunately, I think those days are over because we are now in each other's business, via healthcare.

Sad, it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles