Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2015, 08:21 AM

39,932 posts, read 26,639,220 times

Advertisements

I like what (as I understand it) the Patriot Guard Riders are all about. Showing respect for fallen military and first responders, and shielding their families from classless idiots protesting at funerals. Does anyone here ride with them? What can you offer for input? I have been thinking about contacting them and putting in some time.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 11:41 AM

68,372 posts, read 54,603,269 times
Personally, while their intentions are no doubt good, I've never found large groups of (mostly) open-piped bikes parading thru a cemetery to be all that respectful of families/loved ones in their time of grief.

Old 09-14-2015, 06:10 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,186,483 times
Best thing to do is go on a mission with us........look up Patriot Guard in your area. 98% Harleys will be there, but you won't find a finer bunch of folks anywhere IMO. We ride for first responders and the military. You will experience things the average person will never see, and every ride is a different adventure. Good luck...............

Old 09-14-2015, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
Best thing to do is go on a mission with us........look up Patriot Guard in your area. 98% Harleys will be there, but you won't find a finer bunch of folks anywhere IMO. We ride for first responders and the military. You will experience things the average person will never see, and every ride is a different adventure. Good luck...............
Thank you for responding. I'm glad to hear that. I'm going to get ahold of my state...is it chapter?

Old 09-15-2015, 05:08 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,186,483 times
Toyman just google Patriot Guard Idaho and a state captain will pop up........we most likely don't have a lot of missions up that way.........I'm in SoCal where we do at least 50 a month........and sometimes 4 or 5 the same day..........

A short video of what we do.......the U tube says we have 40,000 members, that is now over 300,000 nationwide.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwigMTjup70

Old 09-17-2015, 04:44 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,865,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Personally, while their intentions are no doubt good, I've never found large groups of (mostly) open-piped bikes parading thru a cemetery to be all that respectful of families/loved ones in their time of grief.
I would like to respectfully suggest you may have missed some key elements here:

1) They are there with the permission (and normally heartfelt thanks) of the family of the deceased.
2) The bikes are part of the patriotic procession. No bikes are running during a funeral. The riders are dismounted and honoring the ceremony. They also do not plan these to conflict with other scheduled funerals at a cemetery.
3) They are also there to keep the mourning family from having to see the Westboro loonies on occasions where those turds (and I'm insulting turds by equating the two) show up. This is certainly a VERY welcome thing at a soldier's funeral.
4) As mentioned in that news segment, the number of patriotic mourners is a comfort to these families. As a retired cop who used to attend 5+ funerals per year of brother cops in SoCal, I can tell you that talking to the families of the deceased, having a massive turnout to honor your deceased is touching and comforting. (I lost more than once buddy in my career so I know what I'm talking about)

From their own website:
Our main mission is to attend the funeral services of fallen American heroes as invited guests of the family. Each mission we undertake has two basic objectives:
1. Show our sincere respect for our fallen heroes, their families, and their communities.
2. Shield the mourning family and their friends from interruptions created by any protestor or group of protestors.
We accomplish the latter through strictly legal and non-violent means.

Last edited by Sage of Sagle; 09-17-2015 at 04:45 PM.. Reason: Added PGR's website mission statement

Old 09-17-2015, 04:49 PM

Idaho State Patriot Guard Riders
Panhandle District
Pete "P8RE8" Croot, Assistant Idaho State PGR Captain
208-304-4175
www.patriotguard.org
petecroot@prodigy.net

https://www.facebook.com/Idaho-Patri...5482/timeline/
(most stuff looks like southern ID, but one last Nov in CDA)

Also, for those who would also do Spokane-area stuff:

Northeast Patriot Guard Riders
District Captain Larry "Commo" Griffith
509-220-4023
commo@pgrofwa.org
Patriot Guard Riders of Washington State

Old 09-18-2015, 10:35 AM

In North Idaho, the Patriot Guards are doing a "Help on the Home Front" mission tonight and providing a flag line at a local church for a POW/MIA ceremony. I plan to go, watch and learn.

Old 09-18-2015, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
In North Idaho, the Patriot Guards are doing a "Help on the Home Front" mission tonight and providing a flag line at a local church for a POW/MIA ceremony. I plan to go, watch and learn.
Looking forward to hearing how it went.

Old 09-19-2015, 08:27 AM

The event was a great experience. One of the speakers was a Air Force vet and POW in Viet Nam. Very touching story. The sacrifice and endurance of our military men and women, and their families, is amazing. There seemed to be a lot of appreciation for the flag line, lots of positive comments. All and all, a very humbling, rewarding and emotionally draining experience. I'm not sure I'm up for a funeral yet...I'll be a wreck. We do have an Honor Flight ceremony next week, should be a much happier note.

I wish I'd been involved a few months ago. We had a local police officer murdered by a POS in our area earlier this summer, would have been a nice way to pay respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles