Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 10:16 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,000,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
A friend and I took a trip to PA years ago. He had a Honda at the time. Even though I wasn't running straight pipes at the time, he would ask me to switch sides so my exhaust was not right next to him. Now he rides a Harley. With Straight Pipes, lol.

But I'm paying for all that noise through the years from loud cars, trucks, motorcycles, etc as my ears ring all the time now. I just loved all that sound though. I can still hear good though.

Whad-you-say?
My cousin rides a Road Glide with the Rushmore package, beautiful bike, however, he put aftermarket pipes on it and it is loud. We went for a ride a while back and after 10 miles of riding behind him I couldn't handle it, so we pulled over and I took the lead. We swapped bikes for about 50 miles, he was riding my 2012 Gold Wing and I rode his Road Glide, I was impressed with the Road Glide but it doesn't handle like the Gold wing. After our swap he was happy to return to his Harley and I was happy to return to the Honda, both bikes have there pros and cons, but hey, they're bikes, and any bike is well worth the ride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 02:32 PM

14 posts, read 11,439 times
For me its like saying do you want to ride in a P51 Mustang or a leer jet. F the Leer, give me the P51 any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Old 11-23-2015, 03:51 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,321,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
Very true. I have an 883 Sportster upgraded to a Screaming Eagle XL1200. Doing this conversion actually makes about 20% more power than a stock XL1200 motor.

I always figure if you're on two wheels, you get a friendly wave from me no matter what you ride...

Check out S&S for things that can boost power even higher.

Ditto on waving.

Old 11-25-2015, 07:25 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,104,585 times
I guess if I were to ever get one, I'd put some flashy colors on it and blare some K-Pop through the sound system.

Seems like the standard for most of these HDs is almost always "Fascist Black" and a few spots of chrome.

Breaking the stereotype!!

Old 11-25-2015, 08:37 AM

281 posts, read 368,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
I guess if I were to ever get one, I'd put some flashy colors on it and blare some K-Pop through the sound system.

Seems like the standard for most of these HDs is almost always "Fascist Black" and a few spots of chrome.

Breaking the stereotype!!
I'd rather the black than the excessive chrome that requires more cleaning than riding to look reasonably good.

Sometimes I think a lot of those dudes roll their 30,000 bikes out of their garages twice a year but spend four times as much time cleaning them.

Old 11-25-2015, 08:57 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Moto Guzzi MGX-21
I haven't kept up, is that a regular production model?

I had a '97 1100 Sporti that may be my all time favorite of bikes I've owned.

Last edited by burdell; 11-25-2015 at 09:32 AM..

Old 11-25-2015, 09:01 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,554,399 times
What does HD offer you over the xyz bikes?

Actual measurable value for you money, not just a name.

Old 11-25-2015, 10:24 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,104,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloppyRunner View Post
I'd rather the black than the excessive chrome that requires more cleaning than riding to look reasonably good.

Sometimes I think a lot of those dudes roll their 30,000 bikes out of their garages twice a year but spend four times as much time cleaning them.
Well, there is always that.
And of course there's always flashier, safety colors for the jackets and other protective wear and such.

Old 11-25-2015, 01:38 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
For one thing some of you are living in the past with Harley Davidson. The Evolution engine is about as rock solid as you will get. I am talking the 1200 and 883 here and not the big engine.

Lets take the 1200 for a good example because for most people the 883 is not going to have the power that you will want.

Here is the rub down on other brands, including BMW. Resale value. You won't find it on other bikes. Show me a 10 year old Honda that returns as much money as a 10 year old Harley will. We have a dealer that sells Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, and Kawasaki. You won't even find a 10 year old bike on the lot that came from one of those brands. They do have an 883 on the lot that they are asking $5,900 for, which for my money is asking too much. I was just there yesterday to see if they had a 1200 and the guy said that they can't keep them on the floor when they come in. Popular bike.

Here is another thing. Of the 8 or so guys working at that dealer, half of them ride Harley's although that is not the brand they sell new. I was at the two area Harley dealers and guess what? All of them ride Harley's and none are riding other brands.

Old 11-25-2015, 03:46 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,321,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
For one thing some of you are living in the past with Harley Davidson. The Evolution engine is about as rock solid as you will get. I am talking the 1200 and 883 here and not the big engine.

Lets take the 1200 for a good example because for most people the 883 is not going to have the power that you will want.

Here is the rub down on other brands, including BMW. Resale value. You won't find it on other bikes. Show me a 10 year old Honda that returns as much money as a 10 year old Harley will.
That Sportster engine (evo) is certainly good. I don't know how the electric components are with the Sportsters in recent years. I also don't know how lean the air/gas mixture is these days. If lean, that alone hurts longevity.

Resale value with Harleys are tops BUT, it assumes a person didn't pay a large amount over MSRP. If I'm not mistaken, people who bought HDs 10 years ago, for example, paid a lot over MSRP. Then, the resale value isn't that great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles