Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 12:42 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,403,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
How do you define better

But don't delude yourself into thinking your choice is better by any quantifiable measure.

don't pretend that it's "better".
Well, you totally missed my point, lol.

I even said "Are they absolutely better in every category than all of the others, no"

Are you sure you are understanding what I am saying??

I said they "Are Not" better, in every category.

But I will say that they are better for "Me", as my personal choice.

If you don't like them, that's just fine with me.

I won't be losing any sleep tonight...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 12:46 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,366,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
American greatness. There is also just something about a Harley that Harley owners understand that many others just cannot. Are they absolutely better in every category than all of the others, no, but once you get that HD in your veins, it's hard to get rid of it, lol.
pride of ownership, while the other guys spend all their time looking for just the right ruler so they can come up with a way to win a dick measuring contest.

Only stereotype as a Harley guy that bothers me is when people think I hate *** bikes. Generations of HD riders out there now that embrace the old rice we started out on. Like the older cats love Triumph. Especially love Honda and Yamaha, but have more fun on a Harley. Just the way it is for me.

Old 11-18-2015, 12:51 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,289,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
mostly true, certainly funny, and like I said above...entertaining. If you think those new Indians are sex on wheels I'd hate to see youre version of what sex on heels looks like, lol.

On one hand you complain HD recycling the same thing since the 70's...look at the indians, last one rolled off the line in '53 and the new ones are just an ugly version of those imho. Better engineered I'm sure, but pot, meet kettle.
Actually my true love is this, but the OP insisted on America F Yeah!

And all comments are in good fun. As I've said a couple times, any bike is a good bike.

Old 11-18-2015, 01:36 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,366,656 times
what is it?

Old 11-18-2015, 01:38 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,289,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
what is it?
Moto Guzzi MGX-21

Old 11-18-2015, 06:38 PM

281 posts, read 368,262 times
I've never owned a Harley and probably won't anytime soon because it'll be a long while until I can justify spending the money. I have taken advantage of a few demo days though, and put an '83 FLH back on the road with my brother.

I'm not so close-minded as to not see the appeal. Maybe it wasn't always the case, but they ARE quality bikes nowadays. I don't know of any manufacturer with better fit-and-finish. A few match them, but I know of none better.

I'd imagine it's kind of like driving a Rolls Royce versus a Ferrari. There's something pleasant about riding an overweight tank that rumbles beneath you. Sure, you can't tear up canyons like you can on an R1 that'll blow it away in any performance measure, but it's just as fun, only in a far different way.

For now, I'm too "logical" though and have to stick with bikes that are lightweight, get good MPG, have ABS, and cost less than $10,000. Which pretty much eliminates all Harley's. Someday, I'd love a Fat Bob, or something similar.

Old 11-18-2015, 06:39 PM

281 posts, read 368,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Actually my true love is this, but the OP insisted on America F Yeah!
I'm with you. Saw this out of EICMA, and can't wait for price figures and such. Not that I'll be able to afford it anyway...

Old 11-18-2015, 07:44 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,403,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloppyRunner View Post
I've never owned a Harley and probably won't anytime soon because it'll be a long while until I can justify spending the money.
There are ways to own one and not break the bank though. I too thought that they were out of my price range, but I checked into them again a few years ago and was surprised on some of the reasonable prices that are out there. It was actually do-able again for me if I chose to get back into it.

Old 11-18-2015, 11:56 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,105,517 times
All I can say is these definitely aren't the motorcycles for introverts, loners or those of us that stay behind the pack.

Love them or hate them, Harleys seem to be an inadvertent image enhancer.
I'd hate to be on some sort of group ride with the only HD and when meeting up with another group, they all assume I'm the leader.

Old 11-19-2015, 05:11 AM

53 posts, read 48,366 times
I got my first bike, an HD, in 1990. Love them but do not currently own one.

The first thing that got me was the looks and style. They just look like 'real' motorcycles compared to pretty much everything else. Also, when you take a closer look at them..there's no fakery about them. Little to no plastic parts made to mimic actual functional mechanicals. Pretty much everything you see on the bike is what it looks like it is. They really are traditional motorcycles, and they are all that they need to be. I liked the sound too.

No one buys one thinking they're gonna take it to the track and do 50 laps against sportbikes with it. That's why I always get a chuckle over these internet knuckleheads that bust on HD for it's power, handling and braking. They remind my of my bud's over the years that didn't ride HD. They couldn't afford, never owned or never rode one but somehow had a stick up their a** about HD and seemed to know all about how much trouble they are. For the record, none of my HD's had mech or quality issues.

To date I've owned 25 bikes. Half a dozen of them were HD. I loved pretty much all my bikes but none of the Japanese or German bikes come close to the soul experience of an HD. My current bike is a Honda, it's a great bike but it does not have the kind of 'life' to it that an HD has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles