U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 07:11 PM

3,386 posts, read 7,642,504 times

Advertisements

Congrats on the purchase - now go grab lots of gear.

Good boots (you don't know how easy it is to injure an ankle until you're riding motorbikes)
Helmet (how much is what's in your head worth?)
Gloves (Hard to make a living with missing digits, and it's uncomfortable with pebbles in your palm)
Genuine motorcycle jacket and pants (Jeans will shred in a low speed get off - and a non riding jacket will separate at the seams)

You can take your time as you purchase, but I'd definitely recommend it if you're going to ride for the long term.

Had I stumbled on this thread earlier, i'd have suggested a cheap used bike as a first motorcycle...that bike is pretty, don't freak out when it finally gets some scratches.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 10:47 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,932,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post

Good boots (you don't know how easy it is to injure an ankle until you're riding motorbikes)
Gloves (Hard to make a living with missing digits, and it's uncomfortable with pebbles in your palm)
Genuine motorcycle jacket and pants (Jeans will shred in a low speed get off - and a non riding jacket will separate at the seams)

You can take your time as you purchase, but I'd definitely recommend it if you're going to ride for the long term.

Had I stumbled on this thread earlier, i'd have suggested a cheap used bike as a first motorcycle...that bike is pretty, don't freak out when it finally gets some scratches.
I had a 98 Yamaha YZF 600. It was all black and gorgeous. I wanted to wax it so I brought it in the grage where I shined it and cleaned every crack and crevice. As soon as I went to open the garage door, it slowly folded its stand and fell over. ARGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!! That hurt. I can still see that image to this day.
I buy used bikes now. They are pre-seasoned.

Old 01-10-2016, 10:58 AM

6,257 posts, read 14,297,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees1212 View Post
Hey guys,

I'm about to turn 22 in a week and I'm graduating from college next semester. I want to buy a bike during the spring as I have the whole summer off before I start my full-time job in the fall. I have never ridden a motorcycle before, but I plan to purchase it completely on my own and take care of all the expenses. Still, my mom is reluctant and constantly tells me how unsafe it is to ride. I have told her I plan to take the MSF course and will ride responsibly, but she doesn't seem to listen. What are your thoughts on this? It hurts me that she is going to worry, but I'm an adult and should be able to make these decisions. I live in New Jersey by the way.

Second question, would you guys recommend a 300cc or a 650cc as my first motorcycle? I was originally going to get a Ninja 300, but people have told me I'll outgrow it within a month, so I'm now looking at the Ninja 650. Suggestions?
Don't buy a new bike. Buy a cheap used bike for your first one. You're going to wreck it, and no, whether you will or you won't isn't open to debate. YOU WILL WRECK.

It may be a major accident or a minor one, but either way, you don't want to keep making payments on a bike that is destroyed.

A 600 class is a good all around bike. They make 600 supersport type bikes, and also 600 class dual sport/touring bikes. I would recommend a 600 sport/touring. They're not as fast as a supersport bike, but they still have plenty of power to get you down the road and are more comfortable.

I'd also make sure you have a life insurance policy on yourself to pay off any debts you may have if something bad were to happen to you.

EDIT: Well, disregard what I said about purchasing a used bike, since you already bought one LOL

Old 01-11-2016, 08:12 PM

802 posts, read 1,482,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post

lol thanks. The bike I got was actually dropped in the garage from the person I bought it from. It has some scratches because of that and that's why I got it for a cheaper price. But, as you said and others have said, even though I hope it doesn't get any more scratches, I won't be surprised if I drop the bike.

Already found what I think is a good helmet- just have to go to a store to try to find the right size.

Boots- I have to purchase before the course starts

Will definitely get gloves, and the jacket/jeans.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Don't buy a new bike. Buy a cheap used bike for your first one. You're going to wreck it, and no, whether you will or you won't isn't open to debate. YOU WILL WRECK.

It may be a major accident or a minor one, but either way, you don't want to keep making payments on a bike that is destroyed.

A 600 class is a good all around bike. They make 600 supersport type bikes, and also 600 class dual sport/touring bikes. I would recommend a 600 sport/touring. They're not as fast as a supersport bike, but they still have plenty of power to get you down the road and are more comfortable.

I'd also make sure you have a life insurance policy on yourself to pay off any debts you may have if something bad were to happen to you.

EDIT: Well, disregard what I said about purchasing a used bike, since you already bought one LOL
That life insurance comment is scary lol. I don't have any debts so I'll focus on getting good motorcycle insurance

Old 01-11-2016, 09:09 PM

8,216 posts, read 4,700,267 times
When you get along a ways in your safety course why not invite your mom to come by some time and watch? Maybe that would help set her mind at ease.

I'm a mom who has ridden for thirty-eight years now and when I took the safety classes I enrolled both my teens. We had an excellent set of instructors and I learned a lot of things I thought I already knew about!

Knowing they had had the same training helped a lot with the mom-jitters.

But riding is definitely not for everyone. Son bought a bike in his thirties, rode for a summer and sold it and he'd been around motorcycles nearly all his life. There are some things you just aren't going to learn until you're doing it.

By the way, neither my husband or I have ever wrecked a bike and the only accidents either of us have ever had were on gravel at low speeds. So it isn't de rigueur to end up in the E.R. if you ride.

Here's Mom saying, "Follow these rules:

1. NEVER drink or use and ride. Not even a little bit.
2. Avoid crazy traffic.
3. Don't show off.
4. Stop for rest breaks.
5. If a bug flies in your mouth, eat it."

(I've got way more rules for myself than this.)

Have fun!

Old 01-18-2016, 09:42 AM

171 posts, read 157,785 times
Go with a 600cc. Very tame bikes under 6500rpm and youll have the power on tap if you need it without selling and buying another bike.

Old 01-24-2016, 03:33 AM

6,410 posts, read 2,802,586 times
some of the worst advice and dumbest comments in this thread that I've ever seen.

my mom was a nurse and people dies in mc wrecks...

get a dirtbike instead lol!

etc etc

Old 01-24-2016, 11:55 AM

1,296 posts, read 927,434 times
Here's a great site for getting gear. - MotorcycleGear.com (the new name of New Enough) :: Motorcycle Jackets, Helmets, Gloves, Boots, Luggage, Parts and More! - They used to be known as NewEnough.com, I bought a lot of stuff through them and always had a good experience. Take a look in the close out section for some great deals and prices.

For boots, I highly, highly, highly recommend these - http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...tex_boots.html -

I have 2 pair of their older brothers and they are terrific. Comfortable enough to walk around in, waterproof (as many experiences with them will attest), don't make your feet sweat in the summer and a great price.

Old 01-24-2016, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
some of the worst advice and dumbest comments in this thread that I've ever seen.

my mom was a nurse and people dies in mc wrecks...

get a dirtbike instead lol!

etc etc
people die in car wrecks too. Lots of people on motorcycles don't ride safely either and/or don't even wear the proper gear when riding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles