U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2019, 09:36 AM

921 posts, read 2,324,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees1212 View Post
Update,

So I took the MSF course and I've been practicing around my neighborhood to just get comfortable before going out on main roads. I have a few questions/concerns.

1) I was going downhill around 25 mph in 2nd gear and all of a sudden I was going like 30-35. I brought in the clutch and braked a little, but when I let off the clutch, the bike just lurched forward. What can I do to make this more smooth? Should I even be grabbing the clutch to brake?

2) After downshifting, when you ease off the clutch, do you then apply throttle (just as you do when upshifting)? I've been reading a lot about blipping the throttle, but people say to just get regular downshifting down before you try this? So if someone can just confirm the regular downshifting technique, that would be perfect. My bike also has a slipper clutch if that changes anything.

The MSF course is good, but they don't really spend any time on shifting
How are you doing ?
Still riding ?
What are you riding ?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2020, 01:47 AM

48 posts, read 24,269 times
Quote:
Hey guys,

I'm about to turn 22 in a week and I'm graduating from college next semester. I want to buy a bike during the spring as I have the whole summer off before I start my full-time job in the fall. I have never ridden a motorcycle before, but I plan to purchase it completely on my own and take care of all the expenses. Still, my mom is reluctant and constantly tells me how unsafe it is to ride. I have told her I plan to take the MSF course and will ride responsibly, but she doesn't seem to listen. What are your thoughts on this? It hurts me that she is going to worry, but I'm an adult and should be able to make these decisions. I live in New Jersey by the way.

Second question, would you guys recommend a 300cc or a 650cc as my first motorcycle? I was originally going to get a Ninja 300, but people have told me I'll outgrow it within a month, so I'm now looking at the Ninja 650. Suggestions?
I would recommend a 125cc, so you can gradually grow into it. This is a careful way. You'll probably think why should I listen to this guy, but I first had a 50cc scooter and then a 125cc. I never had an accident or a fall. I love smaller motorcycles and I never grew out of them. They are easier to handle, and you have as much fun as you have with a heavy machine, believe me. I love 125 - 400 cc bikes.

Old 01-01-2021, 12:11 AM

2,796 posts, read 953,991 times
The OP hasn't been back on this site in 4 years.

Too bad too, as I know exactly how to handle "reluctant" parents with regards to their kids riding.

Start them off easy, and stream the movie "Why We Ride."

Old 03-03-2021, 12:49 AM

4,545 posts, read 1,037,082 times
22 years old and waiting for mom’s approval. Yikes.

Old 03-03-2021, 01:03 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
27,304 posts, read 45,477,643 times
My parents had this right...

"You can ride on the road, as soon as you no longer live under our roof. We're not laying awake wondering if you are gonna make it home."

I was gone from home and on my own by age 16.

By age 18 I was caring for my parents, but I continued to ride, until I had kids.... Then I had to take an 18 yr break from riding. Kids left home... Bikes (9) came out of storage. I ride every day.

Old 03-04-2021, 09:21 PM

2,796 posts, read 953,991 times
Do this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYdj3cV8Qbk

Old Yesterday, 04:41 AM

608 posts, read 100,693 times
Quote:
Hey guys,

I'm about to turn 22 in a week and I'm graduating from college next semester. I want to buy a bike during the spring as I have the whole summer off before I start my full-time job in the fall. I have never ridden a motorcycle before, but I plan to purchase it completely on my own and take care of all the expenses. Still, my mom is reluctant and constantly tells me how unsafe it is to ride. I have told her I plan to take the MSF course and will ride responsibly, but she doesn't seem to listen. What are your thoughts on this? It hurts me that she is going to worry, but I'm an adult and should be able to make these decisions. I live in New Jersey by the way.

Second question, would you guys recommend a 300cc or a 650cc as my first motorcycle? I was originally going to get a Ninja 300, but people have told me I'll outgrow it within a month, so I'm now looking at the Ninja 650. Suggestions?
Your mom's right there unsafe but they're generally as safe is the rider and the traffic around you. That being said if you want to drive a motorcycle then buy one you're a grown man you can do that now. You know it's not as safe as a car there's no needing to convince anybody of that but do you do stuff like this because it's safe or do you do it because you want to. You're 22 probably be fine don't worry about it.

my parents wouldn't let me have a motorcycle as long as I lived with them. I still haven't gotten one but in the next two years I will.

As far as which one I'm not sure I'm trying to decide what bike I want.

Old Today, 11:19 AM

3,221 posts, read 9,133,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post

Please do not listen to whoever you are listening to.
There is NO WAY, someone who has never ridden before is going to "outgrow" any motorcycle, especially a 300cc Ninja. There is a mindset today that calls a 600cc bike a "starter bike". ITs all about how you ride, NOT THE BIKE!!!!! Personally, my advice would be get a used Yamaha 250 dual sport for a first bike. Ride it, drop it, get some basics, then decide where you want to go. Anybody that tells you you "outgrow" bikes is simply wrong. I bet my house that me on a DRZ400 will be a mile ahead of the average sportbike squid on a hyper curvy back road. Riding a small bike at 100% all the time is more fun, and will make you a better rider than wrestling a big sportbike using 10% of its capabilities, sometimes. There is more to riding than the rush of rolling on the gas [/rant]

And, oh yeah . . . Thats what parents do. They worry. That will never change. I told my Son I would do whatever it took to make sure he didnt get a bike, and he's 30! Its a dangerous, scary world out there for motorcycles now. Not like it was a few decades ago. I wouldn't want to face it as learner. I cant give you an answer on that. Parents worry. You are her/their child. Probably nothing is going to change that
This is the advice to follow. Get a plated dirt bike or dual sport USED that has been down a time or two. Ride it for a year. Ride in the dirt (so you can get a feel for how the bike reacts without or when low on traction, and how it acts when it regains grip). Insurance will be cheaper.

You mentioned MSF course, its a good start, but take the next level and the level after that.

Moms worry, but thats what they're paid to do.

Lastly, don't listen to people like the person above who (with no actual experience) crap all over motorcycling. I've been on countless accident sites involving autos way worse than bikes. Its all about what they were doing at the time of collision (i.e. street racing). Lots of people with hundreds of thousands of miles on MCs with no incidents. And ... for the love of god .. AGATT.

Old Today, 11:26 AM

183 posts, read 37,158 times
"I bought my son a motorcycle for his last birthday." <----- Think about that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles