Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2016, 05:27 PM

2,167 posts, read 3,130,907 times

Advertisements

I just bought my first boat. It's a 15ft tri hull Thundercraft with a 90 hp Mercury. The boat is in excellent running condition. The interior is completely gone and is going to the upholstery shop this week for a whole new interior. My question is about the back of the boat where the gas can and battery sit. My boat has carpet front to back. However, over the years of small spills, drips etc. the back of the boat is an oily mess of carpet. Once I replace all this interior, I don't want to head down the path of a greasy mess again. What do you do to keep your drips off the carpet? Is there a commercially available pan to keep your gas can in to catch drips? I noticed just the other day when I took the gas can out to fill it up, a drop or two of gas dripped out of the coupler. If I do this every time I get gas, it won't be long before I ruin my new interior.

What do you all do?

Last edited by Iam4USC; 02-22-2016 at 06:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 03:42 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
You didn't say what year model but if it has a covered area in the rear to put the gas tank, I'd consider a built in tank. They come in various sizes, I used a 12 gallon. If you manually mix oil in the gas with that Mercury engine, you can put 6 gallons in at a time or just figure how much oil per gallon. You would have a fill port on the surface of the boat, kinda like your car. They make kits for the modification. Might look at West Marine for parts if yer handy with tools or have the boatshop install one. Makes it easier and a lot less headaches to have the tank built in.
Permanent Fuel Tanks | West Marine
WEST MARINE Deck Fill for Gas | West Marine

Old 02-23-2016, 04:23 PM

17,210 posts, read 57,041,396 times
You could get a small drip pan like those sold to put under cars that leak some oil, but I like the idea of the built-in tank better myself.

Gas-soaked carpet is a bad fire hazard, so this is not just a dirty mess, it is at least somewhat dangerous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles